Coronavirus related travel in the Eastern Caribbean; Trinidad and Tobago, St. Lucia

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
"With immediate effect all ships arriving in Trinidad and Tobago waters must submit the supporting documents requested under the Single Electronic Window e-maritime module as per arrival/departure habour master requirements to the maritime services division of the ministry of works and transport. This submission is required 72 hours prior to arrival of the ship."
Further information here; https://safety4sea.com/update-global-port-restrictions-due-to-coronavirus/
St. Lucia has apparently re-instituted their health office check-in for pleasure craft.

If you have any plans to visit any of the islands down here, I would suggest that you contact their embassy in your country, or whatever country you are in, shortly before your trip and check to see what new regulations have been put in place.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Good to know - wish I had reason to look into it...

dj

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Dave.
I would not be surprised that this development will be global before too much longer.

With events such as is happening the nature of “Isolationism” becomes a real, emotional necessity in communities. Think the story line for the “Walking Dead”. I would be prepared for a formal Canadian inspection when June comes about.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
We arrived in Marigot Bay, Castries two days ago from the U.S. Check-in isn’t a problem unless anyone arrives from a few obvious places. No clue about T&T.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Maybe. But the perception is creating a panic. This will reach the ports of Entry and I believe sailing into port flying a quarantine flag, stopping at the Customs dock to contact the office and gain entry to a country will be much different than last year.

Apr 28, 2005
Oday 302 Lake Perry, KS
Just returned from 10 days in the BVIs...the BVIs reportedly would not allow an Italian cruise ship to dock in Roadtown because of the coronavirrus.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Just went out looking for an N95 particle dust mask, Lowes, Home Depot, O'Reiley's, Sanel, Harbor Freight, found one at Tractor Supply. Drove nearly to Canada and every store was sold out with their suppliers back ordered all the way to Texas. The Coronavirus.

We are getting prepared for a flight to Barcelona next month and my wife and her best friend, who's traveling with us, wanted masks to wear on the plane (both of them are nurses). Just something to feel a little better with.

Watch your 3M stock.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Masks help with aerosol particulate (from cough and sneeze) but the type of mask that would protect from airborne virus needs to be properly fitted and you won’t find them. Plus, if you remove it to eat and drink you might as well not have worn it. We’re all likely to be exposed at some point.
imho this whole thing is overblown at this point. According to CDC 14,000 people died from flu in the US in 2019. Where are those headlines?
Based on current information- Coronavirus has a higher death rate but lower transmission rate. For most healthy people (who don’t have otherwise compromised immune system) it will be a case of flu symptoms, and survivable. Many who are exposed may remain asymptomatic.
At this point we should be more worried about common flu

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
When people live in close proximity to each other and an economy depends on tourism, careful and thoughtful decisions and hard choices need to made. Right now "we don't know what we don't know". The Government of an island nation has the right and the responsibility to be protective of its population's health and welfare. One person aboard a cruise ship or a private charter could devastate a small island nations economy and populace. Mask or no Mask.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
When people live in close proximity to each other and an economy depends on tourism, careful and thoughtful decisions and hard choices need to made. Right now "we don't know what we don't know". The Government of an island nation has the right and the responsibility to be protective of its population's health and welfare. One person aboard a cruise ship or a private charter could devastate a small island nations economy and populace. Mask or no Mask.
So can a quarantine. It's a fine line down here. Since this virus is mainly deadly to the elderly, for the most part, and many (most?) mild cases go unreported, it becomes very difficult for an island government to decide on the best course of action.
Each cruise ship turned away down here on the poorer islands, unlike places like Japan and SE Asian nations, can be devastating to the nation's economy. Each hotel room or restaurant table not filled can be equally devastating on a more personal level for employees that will be laid off.
However, we are seeing terrible consequences to larger nations like Korea and China as well, and the worlds stock markets are plummeting, so I guess we'll just have to see if cooler heads prevail in the end and things steady out before the panic is catastrophic.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
imho this whole thing is overblown at this point. According to CDC 14,000 people died from flu in the US in 2019... At this point we should be more worried about common flu
It’s actually more than that. That number looks like the current 2019-2020 flu season.

“In total, the CDC estimates that up to 42.9 million people got sick during the 2018-2019 flu season, 647,000 people were hospitalized and 61,200 died. That’s fairly on par with a typical season, and well below the CDC’s 2017-2018 estimates of 48.8 million illnesses, 959,000 hospitalizations and 79,400 deaths.”

So, from that perspective, it is even more overblown.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
Sorry, I will have to disagree with you and move on to boating topics, but I will say this. Society should do everything they can to prevent a pandemic. Ask the families of 61,200 flu victims how they feel about ignoring a problem because its "not so bad" Cornovirus has already touched our family.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Oh, I guess I could answer my own question. If the average flu deaths in the USA over the past few years is about 70,000 people, I would agree that is alarming. So far, I would say the flu that we already experience on a yearly basis is more alarming than Corona. I suspect that we will somehow get thru this crisis, and as usual, there will be some whom suffer. Life will go on, until it doesn't. Isn't that something we all have in common?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
In just over a week we've gone from not too much concern about Coronavirus to plunges in global stock markets, the Fed lowering interest rates as if fleeing from a recession, world wide travel cut back drastically, schools and museums closing and now Italy has turned a huge portion of it's country and economy OFF, for at least a month(what tourist economy can survive that? Not Maine). Areas around the world are closing off to limit the spread of this virus, a virus we don't even know the mortality rate of.

Getting the Corona virus looks like the least of our problems - today. What's next?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
This past week my company went into travel lock-down. I've had to cancel multiple trips and am working on setting up video conferencing for all trips that need my presence. We've also been told to bring our computers home every night in the case we are asked to work from home and not even travel into the workplace... What's next is a good question...

dj