Coronado 23 mk II rigging

Apr 12, 2011
Coronado 23 Mark II Great Salt Lake
Hi,
I have a 1974 Coronado 23 mk II that I'm redoing. I haven't been able to find an owners manual anywhere. I found and bought the Columbia 23 T manual, but it's not specific enough for what I need. I just need a diagram or other documentation on how to rig the lines. Standing rigging is pretty straight forward, but I want to make sure I'm getting the running rigging correct. Halyards, main sheet, and jib sheets look pretty easy, but there's all kinds of other tackle on the boom and some on the mast that I need help with. Probably for things like reefing lines, outhaul, boom-vang, topping lift, etc. Also appears to be two blocks on the outside of the coaming that I think are for a spinnaker, but not sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Greg

Apr 12, 2011
Just answered my own question. I found the brochure, manual, and drawings on boatbrochure.com either as a packaged set ($400) or individually ($42.75 plus shipping for the manual).

Apr 12, 2011
I should qualify my solution above since I haven't received the manual yet. The Columbia T23 manual didn't have good diagrams or directions for rigging, so the one for the Coronado may not either. I follow up this post with an update once I receive the manual. In the meantime, just in case, if anyone has diagrams, please let me know. Thanks.

Apr 12, 2011
Also, I should be setting up the mast and rigging some time this week. I'll set up what I think I know and then try to get some pics of the areas where I'm not sure and post them later in the week.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hi @vrxagjf Congrats on your boat. I see the post has been up a while without any responses.
I would suggest that your choice to put it into the Columbia forum may be the reason.

I found this link for you. It says the Coronado was "Very similar to the COLUMBIA 23T. At this time both companies were part of Whitaker Corp.."

I did see several Manuals for sale.

There may be a few issues that are ":specific" to the Coronado but my guess is they are few and minor. Boats of this size and age are not that unique in the basics needed to get it rigged and on the water. Most of the issues you will face can be photographed and published here on the forum (perhaps best "ask all sailors") and you will get good and work able ideas to solve the issue.

Glad you are here. Post some pictures of your boat. Ask the questions. We have all types of folk here and many of us have been where you are with your boat.

John

Apr 12, 2011
Hi John,
Thanks for the welcome and the suggestion to post under "ask all sailors". Once I get the pictures of the tackle in question, I'll certainly post them under that forum. And you're right that most of the boats this size are similar. I have the Catalina 22 diagrams and I've been able to pick up a couple ideas from those. I was aware of the history of the Coronado and hence why I put my post under Columbia. There aren't really any Coronado categories anywhere out there, so Columbia is the nearest thing. I have the manual for the Columbia T23, but it's not really helpful. My wife found the boatbrochure.com site and I've ordered the Coronado manual from there. Not sure if it will be helpful, but we'll see. Next step is to get together with a friend of ours here who has extensive sailing experience. But some diagrams still would be nice to have. Thanks again.

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You bet Greg. I look forward to providing and help I can. I bought a boat birthed in 1974. Only 120 were built. Pictures but no manual like the Hunter owners have. My feeling is they really are not necessary. You look at what you have and compare that to what is needed. Then try to put the two together. It helps to have a broad understanding of sailboats and to have worked on them.