Cooling ZF 5M or ZF 10m

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
Been doing a little research and knowledge collecting about the ZF transmissions in the Cat 310. The topic of Cooling systems came up and I was wondering if any of the members here have set up a cooling system on theirs. One other thing, does anyone by chance know the actual thread size of the oil drain plug of the ZF 5m transmission.
ZF12.gif
Cheers
2 Old Pirates

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I don't know the thread size. Take it out and bring it into a store!:) Usually the plug screw/bolt is fine. But you should really suck it out the top rather than draining it thru the drain plug underneath - unless you have a NEW (one time use) crush washer for that drain plug.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7092.0.html

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
Good point about the crush washer. Didn't think of that. The pump out will do a half decent job of removing the oil?
Reason for the remove beside draining, I was going to replace it with this EZ Value. Picture below
Stu, any ideas about the cooling system for the ZF 5M or does it need one.
Cheers
2 Old Pirates

Attachments

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
The small Hurth and ZF boxes had optional add on coolers. Very simple design, look on the port side of the box you'll see a square recess with screw holes around it. The cooler was just a box that set into that recess and had water running through it. The heat radiated through the aluminum housing and into the water. Plumbed in to be the first thing the raw water hit after coming into the boat so it's nice and cool. No extra pumps or chance of leaking fluid, etc. Should be pretty easy to make if you can't find one. Those boxes do run hot so it's not a bad idea.
I replace my copper washers with nylon on anything that doesn't get too hot for them. They can be reused many times.