Coolant Smoke or more?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the forum @islandhop. Never a dumb question is asked. Just do it once and never repeat it... :yikes: It is asking the same question over and over and over by the same person that is questionable behavior..:ass::clap:

Seacocks. They are designed to keep the water out of the boat when closed. At least until they corrode and fall apart. Hopefully you will be diligent and regularly inspect them, open and close them on inspection. Lubricate them is they become stiff. Replace them if they look to be turning pink or leaking.

So when you are away, leaving your precious boat to fend for herself, do what you would do when you leave the house for the day... Close them.

Upon arrival at the boat. Open them - indecently a great time to inspect them.

That's my plan and I am sticking to it.

Dec 8, 2020
hunter 376 San Diego
Ok. Thanks guys. I do inspect all of them. They are in good working order. But from here on I will close them when leaving. I read this thread earlier when I was on my boat , home now, and I closed the engine seacock and hung the keys on it. Others are still open !! I will take your advice

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Maybe a dumb question but do most people close their seacocks when not on the boat. Since I bought my new,to me, hunter 376 I’ve been leaving them open. Also the engine intake I leave open. Maybe not a good idea?
I almost never closed mine, but after reading several boat mishaps about sinking because of a bad hose on a below the water line valve (and my boat being 30 years old), I try to close my 3 thru hulls whenever I leave the boat.
I tried putting a note on my boat key to “OPEN THRU-HULL”, but after a few months, just tried to make it a part of the routine of getting ready to head out.

Grg

May 23, 2016
O'Day 1984 23 Island Park, NY
Pulling into a strange let last summer our pump ran dry for a few minutes, then the impeller exploded, or the reverse order... When our replacement impeller looked like it didn't fit, a nice mechanic came out to help us... He out a shop vac on the hoses downstream of he pump and managed to pull out at least most of he pieces... Give it a try

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey,

I never close my through hulls. The engine raw water intake only gets closed when I store the boat in water for the winter (after I winterize the engine). The head intake is always closed (I use fresh water in the head). The holding tank direct discharge is always closed. The sink drain is always open. I exercise the seacocks at least once a year. The seacocks in are awkward to reach places and there is no way I'm going to open and close them each time I use the boat.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
The engine raw water intake only gets closed when I store the boat in water for the winter (after I winterize the engine).
Good .................. all thru-hulls are closed except for the one that protects the engine hoses which undergo the most abuse.

That should up the safety margin :poke:.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Regarding engine cooling water hose seacock. How many times have people posted here that they forgot to open that when they started their engine? Risk of engine damage there. How about your engine exhaust hose? Probably no seacock there and maybe a bit of vibration also.

Oct 22, 2014
Hose inspection should be a routine activity. It is for me. I get to my boat maybe every 4-6 weeks. I start every visit, getting friendly with the systems. Looking for leaks, loose fittings, rusting, basically anything out of the norm. Takes what, maybe 20 minutes max with a good flashlight.

When flying I had a checklist that was followed every time before and after I started the engine. Not using the check list was not an option. Even though it was memorized from frequent usage you still broke out the plastic cards and followed the list by the numbers.

Why would boats be different? Unless we boaters are some how better or perhaps bit lazy.

It is to our benefit that we each have the freedom to decide what and how we monitor or maintain our boats. Man. this is a great country.

Jan 4, 2006
When flying I had a checklist that was followed every time before and after I started the engine. Not using the check list was not an option. Even though it was memorized from frequent usage you still broke out the plastic cards and followed the list by the numbers.
John, I think our checklists are governed by the likely consequences of our vehicle failure:

1. Car failure. Meh ............. pull over and call a tow truck who will arrive at sometime, maybe :tongue:.

2. Boat failure. Oh man ............ float around out here for a while and hope I can fix this before gawd knows what happens :oops:.

3. Plane failure. Holy SH!T we're goin' straight down .......... :yikes: !

Oct 22, 2014
So you're saying "Check List usage" is governed by the impact it may have?

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
2. Boat failure. Oh man ............ float around out here for a while and hope I can fix this before gawd knows what happens :oops:.
But only if "I" is onboard to know that there has been a boat failure. Otherwise the likely consequences of our vehicle failure could be catastrophic.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Regarding engine cooling water hose seacock. How many times have people posted here that they forgot to open that when they started their engine? Risk of engine damage there. How about your engine exhaust hose? Probably no seacock there and maybe a bit of vibration also.
Mine exits above the water line, so it won’t sink the boat...

Greg

Jan 4, 2006
Mine exits above the water line, so it won’t sink the boat...
Mine exits below the waterline and has an exhaust loop up to the height of the deck. This ensures no water ingress.

Probably no seacock there and maybe a bit of vibration also.
Now that'll really give you some real excitement if you forget to open that one.