Coolant level

Dec 22, 2012
Islander 30 Bahama Keyport
I'm getting familiar with my Yanmar 2GMF. How do I measure the coolant level? Is it just by sight or is there some sort of dipstick?
Thanks

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Gloucester, VA
If it is a 2gm20F there are lines on the overflow bottle like a car for hot full and cold full

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
Assuming you have enough coolant in the system to run the engine without overheating, follow Ralph's advice and take off the radiator cap to check the coolant level. Then run the engine, with the cap off, in order for the thermostat to open. Just keep and eye on the level and add some more if it goes down while the engine is running. Just make sure you are adding the same type/brand of coolant that is already in there.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Don't ever take the cap off if the engine is hot.

If there is an overflow reservoir and it is working right you should see the level in it go up as the engine heats up. When the engine cools it will be sucked back in again.

Heed the advice about not mixing anti freezes.

In 200 I got a new cap, cleaned up the reservoir and pipe leading to it, double changed the coolant, and have never added coolant between changes. When I take the cap off it is full to the top.