Coolant in bilge

Eïone

Aug 31, 2016
Hunter 39 Seattle
Hello all,
We have a 2012 Hunter 39. Whenever we run the engine the bilge ends up with pink coolant in it. We had a mechanical survey done 3 weeks ago, and a mechanic out to look at it today, but no idea where this is coming from. However, the overflow container for the Espar (in the lazarette) was empty a few days ago and we filled it. Noticed today it's empty, but we can't see where the coolant would be coming from to end up in the bilge.
Has anyone had a similar problem, or may know where to look further for this?
Thanks, Linda

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Hose connecting the radiator cap to the overflow bottle.. The radiator cap itself the overflow bottle itself, the hoses on the engine, and the hoses going to and from the water heater.. Whew.. if the leak is not showing up, it may be that one of the water heater hoses has chafed through and is leaking somewhere under the floor.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Pink is a somewhat unusual color for engine coolant, especially considering most motors are cooled with fresh or sea water, at least most of the diesel motors I've experienced. Have you dewinterized the fresh water holding tank since taking this boat out this summer? When I winterize I always add the non-toxic, pink glycol solution to my fresh water system, drains, and bilge.

Harlan

Jun 4, 2004
Oday 34 Niantic
Just had the heat exchanger in my hot water heater develop a slow leak. The potable water pressure is higher than the engine coolant pressure so it pushes potable water back into the engine where it slowly leaks out the pressure cap overflow. Just something else to check.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Diesel Coolant is salmon (pink) color. Look at the front of the engine. Is there any spray in the area. Coolant water pump from engine. Sometimes the first sign of pump seal failure is a leak from the seal. It progresses to engine over heating, more coolant leaking the finally all the coolant sprays out, the fan belt will be loose and you have to remove the pump. Replace with new pump. Clean up engine compartment, clean bilge and refill coolant tank. Guess how I know this. :laugh:

Eïone

Aug 31, 2016
Hunter 39 Seattle
Thank you everyone for your input and help. We think we have the coolant issue solved, it seems there was a hose that was a little deteriorated. We still have a leak in the hot water tank but we think it's a problem with a cold water intake valve, but really not sure. Does anyone know of a person we could contact who could come out and fix it for us?
Thanks, Linda

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
First, any leaks of engine fluids should be contained in the pan below the engine which should not discharge to the bilge. Check the obvious first, the hose leading to and from the overflow container, container itself and the cap. Check all hoses going to and exiting the heat exchanger. In the case that a PO has drilled access from the pan to the bilge then start at the weep hole of the engine mounted water pump and move through all hoses, clamps, and system cap.