Convoluted

Dec 29, 2021
Catalina, Tanzer C 22, 16 10910 Starr SC
My avatar and in my previous posts, I talked about the '85 Hunter 25.5 that I was getting ready to finish the deal on. Things have changed. It seems that the current owner had the boat for 12 years. The original owner signed the boat over to him and he never put it in his name. Now there is a problem. DNR wants to charge him back to when he first bought the boat - several hundred dollars worth and it's going to take some time to verify everything.
This is getting very convoluted and I'm pretty sure that I am going to back out of this deal. There are a lot of other boats out there without issues - including an '82 Catalina C22 that is in better shape than the Hunter.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Go for the boat in better shape, you won't regret it.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Bummer. If the seller wants to sell her, he will need to fix the title issue (Or whatever it is).

May not require you to bail on the purchase if he can get things straightened out…

Good luck…nothing worse than getting a boat in your heart and head, and the losing her…happened to me once.

Found a boat I really liked, but waited to make an offer until my son picked his college…when I called to make the offer, the broker told me he sold it a week earlier. :facepalm:

The story did have a happy ending though, in that 4 years later, the guy who bought it emailed me that had moved and wondered if I wanted to make an offer! I still have her….my O’Day 322.

The only downside is that whenever I mention a bigger boat (I still think I have one more 37-38 footer in me), the Admiral reminds me that the O’Day ”is the boat of my dreams”…and that I whined for months about losing her…

I kinda shot myself in the foot…

Anyway, good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Greg

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
So the Seller has not paid property tax and/or registration since he bought the boat? If it is the boat you want be patient and let the seller work out the details with the DNR to put it into his name. I feel your pain, as I have a similar situation with a RV I agreed to buy on Dec 15............seller has to clear the lein on it obtain a clear title and cannot do that until he returns from overseas on Jan 15.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021
There were a lot of other things that were adding up. In the 12 years that he owned her, he really only did the bare minimum of maintenance. He never pulled the boat out to clean the bottom, he never took care of the sails, and a bunch of other things that I was overlooking but glad it worked out like this.

• Wow
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
There are sooo many boats on the market this time of year. Use this time to make a spreadsheet of favorites and a point system (maybe 1-5) and have fun shopping while you wait.

you would have to have to make your own catagories but for me these are the things I look for in a used boat (I’ve bought and sold 9)

condition of the sails
Condition of the motor
Condition of the trailer
These first three have become the most important to me… other stuff is cheap to fix but these three are expensive.

Draft
Condition of the cushions
Condition of electronics
Cleanliness
Overall layout

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The fact that the current seller never obtained clear title indicates a lot. None good. Move on. He is likely going to try getting you to cover the additional cost, which you won't, of course. Yep.... move on. Find a seller that is moving up to a larger boat and may offer your after-sale advice.

Dec 29, 2021
I did move on - to an '82 Catalina C22. I believe the Hunter owner did nothing in the last 12 years of ownership as far as maintenance. He just used the boat and when it started to show, he put it up for sale for the next owner to fix. I was blinded by the cheap price of a 26' boat and overlooked so many things. The last straw was when we were supposed to meet to complete the deal and he didn't have anything in order.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Glad you moved on. I like @rgranger s idea of creating a spreadsheet to grade categories of potential boats when boat buying.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sounds like you were saved by disorganization. Who knew.

Moving on will prove to be a fortunate event.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Bummer. You probably should walk. I doubt you're getting the whole truth and nothing but the truth on this.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I did move on - to an '82 Catalina C22. I believe the Hunter owner did nothing in the last 12 years of ownership as far as maintenance. He just used the boat and when it started to show, he put it up for sale for the next owner to fix. I was blinded by the cheap price of a 26' boat and overlooked so many things. The last straw was when we were supposed to meet to complete the deal and he didn't have anything in order.
Nice! Have you closed the deal? Pics? We love pics.:)