Converting to shoal draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DJ McCabe

My 299 has the full keel (5' 5") and it is located on a lake that is 5' - 7' deep at low water. I'm interested in converting it to the shoal draft version. Does anyone have any information on the difference between to two keels?

D

DJ McCabe

My 299 has the full keel (5' 5") and it is located on a lake that is 5' - 7' deep at low water. I'm interested in converting it to the shoal draft version. Does anyone have any information on the difference between to two keels?

Attachments

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
The most economical approach will be

to sell the deep draft boat and buy a shoal draft boat. Otherwise get out your hacksaw and start changing the shape of your keel.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
The most economical approach will be

to sell the deep draft boat and buy a shoal draft boat. Otherwise get out your hacksaw and start changing the shape of your keel.

Nov 11, 2005
- - Galena, MD
Keels

With depths like that I can understand your wanting to change. It is to bad because having had a S25 with both the Shoal draft and Deep fin there was no doubt that the deep fin was the only way to go when we bought our S30T (same hull as the 299). The fin gives better stability and has less drag. I have a S34 now that was to good a deal to pass up but it has the shoal draft keel and I think all the time about how to change the keel. The S25 started out with the shoal draft but in the fall of our second year OUR GLORY II was riped off it's mooring in a bad storm. The keel was damaged and the surveyor said they hadn't had much luke straighting them and it should be replaced. When I talked to BOB S. he suggested I would be happier with the fin. Boy what an improvement. One other thing I found with the fin if I ran aground (the Chesapeake has shallow spots too)because the foot on the fin was short I could spin the boat and go back out the way I went in. That's not that easy with the very long foot on a shoal keel. I'm embarrassed to say I know because even with the shoal keel I have round aground. I've been told if you don't run aground in the Chesapeake or it's tributaries you probably aren't doing much sailing. Good news is it has never been more than a temporary delay. Anyway that's my take. Skipper S34 Promises

Nov 11, 2005
- - Galena, MD
Keels

With depths like that I can understand your wanting to change. It is to bad because having had a S25 with both the Shoal draft and Deep fin there was no doubt that the deep fin was the only way to go when we bought our S30T (same hull as the 299). The fin gives better stability and has less drag. I have a S34 now that was to good a deal to pass up but it has the shoal draft keel and I think all the time about how to change the keel. The S25 started out with the shoal draft but in the fall of our second year OUR GLORY II was riped off it's mooring in a bad storm. The keel was damaged and the surveyor said they hadn't had much luke straighting them and it should be replaced. When I talked to BOB S. he suggested I would be happier with the fin. Boy what an improvement. One other thing I found with the fin if I ran aground (the Chesapeake has shallow spots too)because the foot on the fin was short I could spin the boat and go back out the way I went in. That's not that easy with the very long foot on a shoal keel. I'm embarrassed to say I know because even with the shoal keel I have round aground. I've been told if you don't run aground in the Chesapeake or it's tributaries you probably aren't doing much sailing. Good news is it has never been more than a temporary delay. Anyway that's my take. Skipper S34 Promises

W

Walter Kittredge

Changing draft of keel

Unfortunately, just cutting off some depth eith a hack saw is not the answer...you have to end up with an elongated keel tdhat weighs about the same as the original or your boat will be so 'tender' that you will be over on your ear in even a light breeze.

W

Walter Kittredge

Changing draft of keel

Unfortunately, just cutting off some depth eith a hack saw is not the answer...you have to end up with an elongated keel tdhat weighs about the same as the original or your boat will be so 'tender' that you will be over on your ear in even a light breeze.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
The piece that you cut off

you have to attach as a wing after you have it recast to the new shape.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
The piece that you cut off

you have to attach as a wing after you have it recast to the new shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.