Converting Jibs From Hank-On to Furling

Jul 13, 2011
Capri 22 MK1 659 Canandaigua Lake
Sails
Unread postby Hershey » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:54 am

My boat came with 3 head-sails ---

1) A roller furler 141 ( presently being used)
2) a 150+ Hank on
3) A 110-120 Hank on.

Trying to decide what to do with the hank-on sails.
Have them modified to work on the roller -- or sell them?

They look in great shape as the previous owner really did not sail much. But then again they are the original sails. 1988

Any suggestions. I suspect getting the sails modified to work with a roller furling setup might not be cost justifiable.

Hershey

Hi Hersh-
Rather than hijack a useful thread, I moved your good question over here to the banter board.

I looked into converting a hanked 110 to roller furling at Haarstick here in Rochester, and by the time they sold me a luff tape and sewed it on plus added a UV leach panel, I had something like $300-$400 buck in it. Too much to wind up with a compromise sail in the end. I don't like the high clew on those stock 110's anyway. I'd really prefer a 95% blade that sheeted to the cabin top tracks for windy spring and fall sailing...so I'm saving my pennies.

Mar 11, 2014
I've done it at least half a dozen times. Two things to consider, assuming the sail is in good shape, are:
What ever you start with will be smaller, a 150 will be closer to a 135 and a 110 will likely be a 100 or smaller... and the process of adding the luff tape will tighten up the sail, especially if it includes the foam to improve shape when furled... and second, don't put the Leach cover on the sail... while its great to simply roll it up and be done with it the leach cover adds nearly twice the weight to the leach as its typically 9 OZ material by it self. So besides the expense it kills the shape off the wind in less than about 7-8 knots. Plus you can get a sock for the sail that you hoist using the spin halyard and then you don't need the cover on any of the sails you acquire going forward. Besides the sock isn't much more than it cost to put the cover on just one of your new or refurbished jibs...

But nothing like a new sail built for purpose
Have fun

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
You can get kits from Sailrite and make your own sock for the jib. The Admiral did that for the Capri 16.5.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
Using a foresail downhaul can also simplify the issues if needing to lower the sail without having to go to the foredeck.

I did this on the O'Day 19 I have. It is a quarter inch line tied to the top and clipped through a few of the hanks then turned back to the cockpit. It is a simple low-cost solution until you are ready to make it a furler.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
Using a foresail downhaul can also simplify the issues if needing to lower the sail without having to go to the foredeck.

I did this on the O'Day 19 I have. It is a quarter inch line tied to the top and clipped through a few of the hanks then turned back to the cockpit. It is a simple low-cost solution until you are ready to make it a furler.