Converting Diesel to Electric Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Making Good Money Bad

Far better to fix what you have.

There have been lots of threads on here. Check the archives.

If you are just looking for an experiment, and don't care about expense to value, then there are plenty of resources out there to help.

Good luck regardless of what you decide.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
I agree with Rick
The main problem with electric is the lack of ability of batteries to store a useful amount of energy in comparison to the energy stored in fuel. Fuel has it hands down in BTU/lb. An aggressive electrical setup would still only let you cruise at hull speed for only around an hour before you need to recharge your totally dead batteries. If I was investing in more efficient ways of powering the boat I'd go with new and more sails not electric. The additon of a light wind sail can make a big differance to your sailing.

May 28, 2009
Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
Completely impractical unless you're also planning to add a diesel generator to power it. Otherwise your propulsion system will only be useful for moving the boat within the marina occasionally. If you plan on adding the generator, then it begs the question - why replace the perfectly good diesel you already have?

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
I agree with all the above

Unless your just really into saving the environment, you just spending money for not much of anything. Even if your an enviromental nut, I don't see where you would be doing much good.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Why?

I think the most important next questions to ask are:
  • what is the motivation? what are you trying to gain, or get away from, by converting?
  • have you done any research on this topc?
Seriously, you'll get lots of hits on Google for electric sailboat propulsion.

But, you will find that for weight, expense, space, and reliability, you can not beat a small diesel with an electric system. And, I am skeptical of the green claims of the electric drive proponents. They act as if the electricity that comes off the grid is free and free of pollution, which, of course, it is not; and, there are environmental costs associated with batter manufacture and disposal/recycling. I haven't done the math, but I bet that a small diesel that stays in service 25+ years, which burns fuel efficiently is one of the least environmental cost alternatives to sailboat auxiliary propulsion, once all of the factors are taken into consideration.

Feb 6, 2009
Hunter 40 Camano Island
Simple,

Just convert your keel to a new replacement battery keel, with integral plates.

make all that lead do double duty,

better design that keel agm style, so that the acid does not spill when the boat heels.

seriously............

Anyway........
a sailboat already is a hybrid vehicle. keep your aux power plant.

There is little improvement in the environment by smelting 2500 lbs of lead ore for batteries replaced every 7 years instead 1200 lbs of iron ore for a diesel engine (That lasts 30 30 years) or 10 tons (ore & natural gas) for rare earth metal hi tech batteries.

Batteries just store and lose energy, they do not capture it. And while the metals are recycleable, it is not a particulary good solution for conventional monohulled saoilboats.

now catamaran on the other hand, it a much better and viable proposition, since you are not carrying 30 % of your displacement as penalty weight., and the tradeoffs for storage space on a cat are much better .

Status
Not open for further replies.