Converting An Alternator To External Regulation

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Many boats, specifically sailboats, come equipped or have have used the 5" case Motorola/Prestolite/Leece-Neville style alternator over the years of production. This case style alternator today is built by Leece-Neville. They are specifically marinized and are called the 8MR series or marine series. They are available many outputs from 37 to 105 amps and in a 2" single foot, 1" single foot, and single ear and triple ear configurations. The regulators though are all the same design.

The regulators that comes stock on most new 8MR series alternators are voltage adjustable but still only a two-stage, often referred to as single stage. They do bulk and absorption but not float like a three stage regulator does.

This will show you how to convert a Motorola/Leece-Neville style alternator to external regulation. Once you have done this conversion you can then use a Balmar, Ample Power or other external three stage regulator.

This particular alternator is a 90 amp Leece-Neville 8MR2070TA with a 1" foot and triple adjusting ears. It fits many Universal and Westerbeke engines as well as some others. I purchased it from ASE Supply for about $200.00 and the conversion kit for $15.00 from a local guy here in Portland.

The first step in this conversion is to remove the four machine screws holding the regulator onto the alternator. They've been loosened so it's easy to see which ones they are.

The next step is to remove the four wires that connect the regulator to the alternator. This is as easy and straight forward as it sounds.

Once the wires are disconnected simply tilt the regulator up to exposed the internal brush connections. You'll need a set of needle nose pliers to pull the connectors off the brushes. This is quite simple and takes about 20-30 seconds to do so.

Aside from the epoxy coated finish and general marine construction of the 8MR series this gasket is what makes it USCG compliant and ignition protected. It prevents errant sparks from the brushes from igniting any potential fumes. With most diesels this is not really a huge concern but it's still a good idea to re-use this gasket upon reassembly.

EDIT: This kit was discontinued by Leece-Neville and no replacements exist in the aftermarket.

The conversion kit comes with everything you'll need, including the wires, bolts and insulators, to make this a simple conversion.

The first step in assembling the kit is to slide the ring end of the wires over the carriage bolts as shown here.

In this step you slide the black plastic insulators over the carriage bolts with the flat side facing the ring and the side with the smaller square facing up as shown.

Because voltage is running through these wires they must be installed and insulated correctly so they don't ground out on the aluminum plate. In this picture the small square is properly oriented to prevent the bolt from making contact with the cover plate and will be properly insulated.

With both bolts and internal insulators installed place the large insulating washers over the bolts. Next drop the two small washers supplied on top of the insulators, add the nuts and tighten them down.

Here's the view from inside the cover plate with everything torqued down and tight.

Slide the contacts onto the brush studs. It does not matter which way you connect these green wires as one will become the field contact and the other will be grounded to the alternators ground stud. Once the wires are connected orient the cover plate over the holes and install the two retaining screws.

Below is the finished product. One last detail you will need take care of is to create a jumper wire from one terminal of the plate to the ground stud on the alternator. This is the black wire in the photo with the yellow crimp connectors.

Unfortunately my good heat shrink connectors & crimpers were on the boat when I took these photos so I made up a cheap jumper wire for illustrative purposes only.

Leece-Neville recommends a 12ga wire for this jumper. I would also recommend heat shrink crimp connectors & tinned 12ga wire.

If you do not ground one of the cover plate studs, to the alternators ground terminal, the alternator will not work. The alternators ground terminal must also be grounded to the boats ground.

I also labeled the field stud with my label maker so it's easy to wire and remember which is which. The stud marked 12V output gets wired directly to the positive side of your boats electrical system . I recommend wiring this directly to a battery, such as the house bank, so you can't fry the alternator diodes by turning off the battery switch when the motor is running.

For your diesel engines tachometer sense simply wire to either of the studs marked AC Tap. You may need to recalibrate your tachometer after the installation of a new alternator.

Follow the regulators manufacturers instructions for the rest of the install.

This is an inexpensive way to get a brand new, not rebuilt, 90 amp externally regulated marine rated and built alternator for about $215.00. While there are more "heavy duty" alternators this one will serve most coastal cruisers quite well. If you have AGM's or a very large bank, compared to the alternator I would suggest a beefier alternator.

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
Very nice Maine Sail. ;)

Did you decide what to do about your wind instruments yet??? :)

Feb 6, 1998
Very nice Maine Sail. ;)

Did you decide what to do about your wind instruments yet??? :)
NO!! The folks at Garmin really had no clue about the GMI 10 as a wind instrument so I'll need to try again to find someone who can answer my questions.

I'm not going Maretron but am considering NEMA whirlies...

Aug 19, 2004
Hunter 35 Vancouver, BC
But Why?

This will show you how to convert a Motorola/Leece-Neville style alternator to external regulation. Once you have done this conversion you can then use a Balmar, Ample Power or other external three phase regulator.
Another superbly produced technical article. Sorry to be at all critical, but it assumes that the reader understands the benefits of converting to external regulation........... which is way over my head :doh: Can we close this small gap please?

Whatever the benefits are, does the same approach generally apply to the Hitachi unit on my Yanmar?

T

The most handsome sailor.

A question if you don't mind Sir.

Mr. Mainsail. What an outstanding presentation! You have a knack for making things clear & less intimidating.

Question: Would the device you describe be useful for a towed water generation application?

Thanks for sharing your great work.

TMHS

Aug 19, 2004
Hunter 35 Vancouver, BC
Three Stage Charging

Another superbly produced technical article. Sorry to be at all critical, but it assumes that the reader understands the benefits of converting to external regulation........... which is way over my head :doh: Can we close this small gap please? Whatever the benefits are, does the same approach generally apply to the Hitachi unit on my Yanmar?
OK, so after the deafening silence that followed my first question, I have now figured it out. The external regulator allows smart charging... aka three stage charging.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Thanks Mainsail, couldn't have been more timely. I will be removing my stock alternator this weekend. I did buy the Balmar MC 612 and was wondering how I could remove the internal regulator for use with the smart charger. When you decide to write a "How Too" book, I'll be the first one to buy it!

Shell

Sep 26, 2007
Catalina 30 standard JC/NYC
Great article Main Sail.

I've been using the original alternator for our charter Catalina 30 for 5 years now with constant use. Owned the boat for 8 years now. Never had a problem with the alternator, except the bracket, change batteries every 3 years, no problems.

Oct 6, 2005
Catalina 36 Westbrook CT
Converting An Alternator To External Regulation - protection

Congratulations on a very well done article describing and illustrating the conversion.

I recommend ( and so would NMEA) adding protection to the positive lead from alternator to battery. The lead should be fused to about 125% of the alternator max output and since the battery bank has the greater potential energy I would place the fuse as close to the battery bank as possible. A disconnect switch (such as the keyed variety) would also be good to add in a secure out of the way place to avoid inadvertant opening but still offer an easy disconnect for engine servicing. The positive alternator terminal will be hot at all times and a candidate for shorting to engine ground when servicing the engine. The fuse and switch provide prudent protection.

Feb 6, 1998
I recommend ( and so would NMEA) adding protection to the positive lead from alternator to battery. The lead should be fused to about 125% of the alternator max output and since the battery bank has the greater potential energy I would place the fuse as close to the battery bank as possible. A disconnect switch (such as the keyed variety) would also be good to add in a secure out of the way place to avoid inadvertant opening but still offer an easy disconnect for engine servicing. The positive alternator terminal will be hot at all times and a candidate for shorting to engine ground when servicing the engine. The fuse and switch provide prudent protection.
I think you might have meant ABYC not NEMA? Because your house bank already should have a fuse the alternators fuse shouldalso be within 7 inches of the house bank (if fed directly). Unfortunately the very large number of boats do not comply with this standard nor have sufficiently sized wire to handle the amp output form the alternator. I have seen boats with 12ga wire on a 125 amp alternator..:doh:

Oct 6, 2005
Catalina 36 Westbrook CT
Balmar 612

Thanks Mainsail, couldn't have been more timely. I will be removing my stock alternator this weekend. I did buy the Balmar MC 612 and was wondering how I could remove the internal regulator for use with the smart charger. When you decide to write a "How Too" book, I'll be the first one to buy it!
The 612 can be coverted easily from the internal regulator to an external multistep regulator. Go to the Balmar web site and download the manual - see page 8 (6 series alternators) for a diagram. This is an easy conversion which I have done many times. The multistep regulator instructions will guide you through the process.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Maine,

Where in Maine did you get that external kit? I checked a few places in MA no one has stock. Looks like 3 weeks from Prestolite.

Feb 6, 1998
Maine,

Where in Maine did you get that external kit? I checked a few places in MA no one has stock. Looks like 3 weeks from Prestolite.
I order them through my Leece-Neville master distributor. You can't buy from them (wholesale only) but any reputable shop can order it for you just tell them you want the external regulation conversion kit for an 8MR series alternator..

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Switching from internal to external regulation

If you have a Universal engine you need to do the alternator bracket upgrade or you could really do some damage!!
Folks, please note that this is for M25 engines ONLY!!! The M25 XP series "fixed" this issue by changing the bracket. There are some people who haven't done this, and it doesn't only relate to Catalinas, it's ALL boats with M25 engines. Read about it here, it happened to ME: http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=M-25_Alternator_Mount_Conversion_Kit_"B/M_256891" It's kinda like people who still haven't done the engine wiring harness upgrade, which could cause a fire on your boat if not installed.

I would appreciate and be interested in your comments on the difference between tapering single stage 13.8 V charging and three stage bulk-absorption-float charging in general. My understanding is that you believe that single stage is adequate for general recreational use, but have also supported it for long term cruising based on your new-to-you boat's cruising experiences. Many folks have said they think their systems are just fine with OEM alternators with internal regulation at the 'standard" 13.8 V, or as you've mentioned to me here on this 'board before, 14.0 V OEM settings.

My experience indicates that even with extended (really extended) motoring, rare on a sailboat but sometimes encountered (say the ICW), with single stage tapering (i.e., internally regulated) charging the house bank will never be completely re-filled because steady voltage is not enough to fully and completely charge, even if the single stage regulator is modified to output higher than 13.8 V, say to 14.0V or a tad higher.

The same could be said for three stage charging, albeit somewhat differently, because even with extended engine run time it needs 24 hours to fully charge a bank, since usually with the engine running other demands are being made on the electrical system (like the fridge, lights and electronics) so the bank would not be fully charged.

Because a lot of our readers may not be "into" battery charging as much as some of us, I want to make sure that we're not potentially misleading anyone who is faced with this decision, and assumes they're AOK just as things are, either single or three stage.

I would add two important caveats to alternator (only) charging:

1. The three worst things that can be done to banks are overcharging, undercharging and neglecting to leave the banks completely full when "resting" (i.e., leaving the boat).

2. Regardless of the type of alternator regulation you choose, the last 10% to 20% of battery charging is almost impossible to do with alternators alone, as discussed in our many conversations about "battery acceptance." The only way to completely and fully charge a battery is through shorepower charging, usually requiring an overnight session. That said, one of the other worst things you can do is leave your bank connected to shorepower charging for extended periods of time because a constant float will kill the plates.

It becomes a battery and charging "management" issue. Newer shorepower chargers like Xantrex have begun to address this by actually turning the chargers OFF, completely off, for selected and managed periods, rather than staying on float.

I would also appreciate your input on folks considering moving to extrnal regulation with old old old OEM, say 55 A Motorola alternators, or Hitachi 35 models with large house banks. My understanding is that there is the potential for overloading those alternators which were never designed for a heavy long term load that would imposed by external regulation. We discussed this over on our C34 Message Board under "Excessive alternator heat & Regulator Controls." We came to the conclusion that battery and, more importantly, alternator temperature sensors automatically initiate the regulator signal to cut back on alternator output, similar to the Small Engine Mode or like using the "amp manager" feature of the regulators to reduce output and not overload the alternator.

I caution everyone to never install an extrnal regulator on an old OEM alternator without using at least the alternator temperature sensor, and spending the time to learn and understand the dynamics involved in battery charging. There's an awful lot of information out there, including this board, everything Maine Sail has written on the topic, and our other references. See this two page discussion and the link to the Small Engine Mode for the Balmar MC-612 regulator also included on page 2: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4454.0.html

Feb 6, 1998
Regulation

I would appreciate and be interested in your comments on the difference between tapering single stage 13.8 V charging and three stage bulk-absorption-float charging in general. My understanding is that you believe that single stage is adequate for general recreational use, but have also supported it for long term cruising based on your new-to-you boat's cruising experiences. Many folks have said they think their systems are just fine with OEM alternators with internal regulation at the 'standard" 13.8 V, or as you've mentioned to me here on this 'board before, 14.0 V OEM settings.

My experience indicates that even with extended (really extended) motoring, rare on a sailboat but sometimes encountered (say the ICW), with single stage tapering (i.e., internally regulated) charging the house bank will never be completely re-filled because steady voltage is not enough to fully and completely charge, even if the single stage regulator is modified to output higher than 13.8 V, say to 14.0V or a tad higher.

Firstly I would never advise the use of any regulator that only ever put out 13.8 volts. The 8MR series alternator, on my 1986 C-36 a 51 amp Motorola alternator with an 8RG2010A regulator this regulator had a 15.0V set point!!!! Not good for long motor runs but okay for short on deep cycle flooded batteries but not for AGM or GEL..

Some older alts/regulators were ordered by some manufacturers and did have a 13.8 volt set point and these can be replaced with an adjustable stock "dumb" regulator for about $65.00. If you truly have an alt that only ever puts out a max of 13.8 get a regulator that can put out 14.2-14.8 depending upon your batteries. A stock regulator with 15.0V will eventually cause damage if you motor for long duration's..

Sometimes folks have bad regulators or are incorrectly checking the output voltage. The proper test procedure, according to Prestolite/Leece-Neville's factory training manual is as follows. I have shortened it but this is the basic gist.

Alternator Output Voltage Checking Procedure:

1) Batteries must be fully charged or at a minimum of 95% of capacity
2) There should be little to no current draw from any systems
3) The voltage should be read directly from the alternator output post
4) The engine should be turning at least 1500 RPM.

There were many alternator regulators that only ever put out 13.8 as the max out put. I would advise addressing that if you find you have one or if you have one that regulates at 15.0V too!

The same could be said for three stage charging, albeit somewhat differently, because even with extended engine run time it needs 24 hours to fully charge a bank, since usually with the engine running other demands are being made on the electrical system (like the fridge, lights and electronics) so the bank would not be fully charged.
You can barely ever fully recharge a bank with just an alternator unless you are running the motor for many, many, many hours. I can usually get back to about 85-90% but that last 10-15% takes forever regardless of single stage or three stage regulation. this is why I also have solar.

Because a lot of our readers may not be "into" battery charging as much as some of us, I want to make sure that we're not potentially misleading anyone who is faced with this decision, and assumes they're AOK just as things are, either single or three stage.
I also think folks need to understand that single stage regulators are used on hundreds of millions of lead acid batteries, world wide, every day. Every car produced comes with a single stage regulator, nearly every truck, bus or tractor on the planet also ships with a single stage regulator. Most of these regulators are set between 14.2 and 14.4 volts and I don't hear many complaining about short battery life. The problems arise when we deeply cycle banks and cars don't do this. This is called PSOC abuse or partial state of charge.

I would add two important caveats to alternator (only) charging:

1. The three worst things that can be done to banks are overcharging, undercharging and neglecting to leave the banks completely full when "resting" (i.e., leaving the boat).
Totally true. This is why if you are on a mooring a solar panel is almost a necessity. In warm summer air batteries self discharge faster than in colder temps so if you start at 80% by the time you get to use your boat again you could already be down to 70% SOC or less. A multi-stage regulator does not change the under charging you get whan you only get to 85-90% SOC due to short motor runs.

The Balmar MC-612's pre-programmed setting #2 for flooded lead acid batts is 14.4 for bulk phase (it should be noted that bulk is NOT a voltage limited stage and that Balmar has simply decided to call "absorption #1 that) and 14.2 for absorption 2. These batteries should really be charged at 14.7V to 14.8V.

I would however suggest not using Balamar's pre-set algorithms and instead I suggest doing a custom set up, using the advanced programming menu, to match your batteries. When running your engine for charging you should hardly ever see a float stage voltage IN A PROPERLY SET UP REGULATOR. It took me ten+ hours to see a float voltage. This is about the amount of time it would take to charge most banks to less than 1% of Ah capacity before the regulator should go into "float". Unfortunately most installed external regulators are poorly programmed and boaters go into float waaaaaay to early thus actually SLOWING how fast the batteries charge. I call this premature floatulation...

The only way to completely and fully charge a battery is through shorepower charging, usually requiring an overnight session.
Don't forget solar!!;) It always gets my batts back to 100%..

I would also appreciate your input on folks considering moving to external regulation with old old old OEM, say 55 A Motorola alternators, or Hitachi 35 models with large house banks. My understanding is that there is the potential for overloading those alternators which were never designed for a heavy long term load that would imposed by external regulation. We discussed this over on our C34 Message Board under "Excessive alternator heat & Regulator Controls." We came to the conclusion that battery and, more importantly, alternator temperature sensors automatically initiate the regulator signal to cut back on alternator output, similar to the Small Engine Mode or like using the "amp manager" feature of the regulators to reduce output and not overload the alternator.
35 amp NO! 51 or 55 amps I might consider but it would depend upon the bank capacity and type of bank it is feeding.. If the alternator is at least 15-25% of the banks Ah capacity it should be fine provided you do monitor the alternator temp.
The worst thing you can do is to try it.

The regulator cover plate for a Motorola style alternator is about $30.00. If you kill the alt you will already have the regulator and you can then buy a Balmar, or the 90 amp or 105A Leece-Neville. The worst you are out is $30.00 if you buy a Balmar instead.

Temperature monitoring is important on any alternator with an AGM, GEL or a FLA bank that is large. Remember the whole premise behind a three stage regulator is to give you more options and temp sensing of both the alternator and the bank. This is an excellent feature.

I caution everyone to never install an external regulator on an old OEM alternator without using at least the alternator temperature sensor, and spending the time to learn and understand the dynamics involved in battery charging.
It can be done but a temp sensor should be used, as should Amp Manager/Belt Load Manager.. These stock alternators do not deal with pumping out full rated current for long periods of time and can literally cook themselves. A "smart" regulator with alt temp sensor, that cuts the field back, and allows the alternator to cool down, is a great way to keep a stock alternator from cooking.

My thoughts on charging lead acid batteries on weekend warrior / coastal cruising boats differ from most so please take them as just another opinion only and please do your own research..

Personally (my opinion here) I think the hype is a little over blown for the amount of run time many engines see in coastal cruised sail boats. In all the time I personally owned my multi-stage regulators (properly programmed BTW) only once, after ten+ hours of running, saw the volt meter dip to 13.4 volts. Just once.. Of course my regulator was properly programmed to not go into float before the bank hit less than 2% acceptance. Seeing as this is "time controlled" it took many hours of fiddling to get it dialed in correctly, which many simply do not do. By not properly programming an external regulator you can wind up going into float as early as 85-90% SOC. This is bad...

If you leave your boat plugged in at a dock you should have a multi-stage charger as you will need float.. For general coastal sailing, with regular wet cell batteries, and less than 100 engine hours per year, I find that the multi-stage alternator regulator can be a bit of overkill especially for dock sailed boats which get to recharge to 100% after every sail.

We've been lead to believe that all sailors with cruising type boats need to spend hundreds, if not into the 2k+ range, to upgrade our alternators and regulators to "properly" charge our lead acid batteries and for certain use/case scenarios this is often not necessary..

It is totally understandable why we believe this and buy the message of "three stage regulation should be mandatory for all sail boats".;) Let's face it we, as sailors, deeply discharge then rarely re-charge. That, in and of it's self, kills the batteries and alternator only charging can't stop that unless you motor 10+ hours.

Deep cycles/discharges and CHRONIC UNDERCHARGING do far more to kill batteries than not having "float".. Cheap non-marine dock side chargers and older ferro chargers also can be tough on battery banks.

So why do soooo many sailors spend huge money on fancy alternators with float stage features that rarely if ever get used? If you are regularly getting back to float after "cruising" then you really should own a TRAWLER cause that is how you're using your vessel, as a trawler.

Don't get me wrong I DO feel float is a great feature, for a trawler, but float just does not, and more importantly should not, with a properly programmed regulator, occur much when you are motoring. Most external regulators are not properly set up and this can actually SLOW how fast you get back to full not help it.

The average sailboat will never see a long enough engine run time, when coastal cruising, to even get to a float stage. A regulator should not be moving into float until the bank is accepting less than 2% of Ah capacity. This should take 10+ hours of engine run time from approx 50% SOC.

Again, I don't disagree with three stage charging at all. In many situations including long term cruising, trawlers who run the motors constantly or any boat with AGM or GEL technology I consider it a "must have".

I do think boaters, especially sailors, have been fed a bunch of info about multi-stage charging that is not really 100% necessary (float is a must have for an external regulator) or accurate on the typical coastal cruiser who runs 100 engine hours per year, or less, on flooded lead acid batteries with an alternator sized at 50% or less of the banks capacity.

My car battery lasted 130k miles, figured at an average of 60mph (actually a very unreasonable average so it would actually be a LOT more hours) would take 2166 hours of driving to achieve. This alternators is voltage regulated to 14.43V. In the average sailboat, figuring 100 hours per season on the motor, this too is a stretch for most, it would take nearly 22 years to achieve this. Is a lack of float on a sailboat alternator regulator a deal killer? Heck no....

I've yet to meet any sailor with 22 year old batteries?;) Shouldn't there be more sailors with all the "external regulation" and the $ spent on it running 22 year old batteries? ;);):D

How is it that millions upon millions of cheap car starting batteries can sustain 6-8 or more years of 14.2-14.6 volts of "over charging" yet our better built, thicker plate, deep cycle batteries can't even deal with 60-100 hours per season without being fed a gourmet dinner with float for desert..?:D

I know lots, and lots of sailors who use the engine 60-100 hours per season, max, and who also have a gourmet charging system with basic wet cell batteries. If a cheap, thin plate, car battery can sustain 6 years+, and the equivalent of 2166 hours (actually way more) of run time, at 14.2 to 14.6 why can't a deep cycle last for 500-600 hours (five to six years) or more +/- without being cooked?

If a lead acid car battery can survive with 14.2-14.6 volts for the marine hour equivalent of nearly 22 years of engine use why do we insist on "float" when a dumb regulator will work just fine, in SOME cases, for wet cell batts?

Please do not misconstrue my point here. If you have Gels or AGM batteries or a very large bank of wets, I would strongly recommend a three stage regulator.

If you have lead acid batteries standard voltage regulation does work, has for hundreds of millions of lead acid batteries world wide for years, and years and years, even though we've been lead to believe it does not by the marine industry.

To do external correctly, which many don't, you really need temp monitoring of both the alternator and battery. Unfortunately most of the installations I have seen trend towards only about 10-20% of Balmar installations that monitor temps..

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Question?
Would you recomend using a 3/8 or 1/2 belt with a 90 amp alternator. I was reading Caldor's book last night and it's quite an interesting project selecting the right combination of belt/pulleys.

Feb 6, 1998
3/8"

Question?
Would you recomend using a 3/8 or 1/2 belt with a 90 amp alternator. I was reading Caldor's book last night and it's quite an interesting project selecting the right combination of belt/pulleys.

You don't have much choice with your engine. If it's 3/8" than unless you want to spend big bucks you are going to be using 3/8". Every one of my alternators, under 100 amps, has run 3/8" belt. A 3/8" belt can handle about 70-80A so this is a good situation for a Balmar regulator and Belt Load Manager. Alignment, clean pulleys and proper tension are all critical.

Gates belts are good as are the Dayco Top Cog's.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Desiging a SYSTEM

The electrical SYSTEM is just that, a SYSTEM. You can't just slap stuff together and expect it to work well. You can also spend a lot of money and get a systems that either does not work or loafs along most of the time.
You want to design a system where all the parts:
a) last a long time
b) minimizes cost
c) minimizes maintenance

A load analysis alone is not enough to determine how big an alternator/regulator to buy. You have to factor in HOW you use your electricity. Loading the system up once a day for an hour or two and letting rest the rest of the day will result in a different alternator choice then low usage over the entire day. You also have to factor in wind and solar if that is available. If you go back and forth between both of these then you have to go with the worst (biggest) case solution.
It is a lot of math, simple math but lots of it. Well suited to a spreadsheet.....
Having been in the Army Staff I have my Excel Ranger Tab (ERT) and have made just such a spread sheet.
After playing around with the numbers I'm convinced that you really don't need a big alternator if you are doing "weekend sailor" type cruising. Invest in another battery and leave the solar panels, wind generators and big alternators at West Marine.