Convertible hard top on Venture of Newport 23: how to secure it?

Jul 26, 2017
MacGregor Venture of Newport 23 Aldie, Virginia. Chesapeake Ba
MacGregor Venture of Newport 23: has the hard top section of deck that raises kind of like a hard bimini (deck just forward of cockpit).
I have a pair of straps from the hard top to the deck forward: those straps prevent it from falling stern-ward,
but there is no mechanism or straps that prevent it from falling forward (closed).
What setups do you have for this?

Also: Anybody using hydraulic tubes on it, like on hatchback car trunks?
Thanks

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Assuming the 23 is the same as the 25 & 222 there should be some stainless steel tubes with slightly bent flattened ends. These slide into stainless fixtures, two at the front of the pop-top and two on the deck.

Nov 27, 2021
Macgregor Venture 23 Isabella
MacGregor Venture of Newport 23: has the hard top section of deck that raises kind of like a hard bimini (deck just forward of cockpit).
I have a pair of straps from the hard top to the deck forward: those straps prevent it from falling stern-ward,
but there is no mechanism or straps that prevent it from falling forward (closed).
What setups do you have for this?

Also: Anybody using hydraulic tubes on it, like on hatchback car trunks?
Thanks
Did you ever get an answer on this? I have just left it closed since buying the boat in 2005(ish) but am hoping this next season to pop it up. I see the slots but don't have the poles discussed below.

Nov 30, 2020
Macgregor 22 Dania, FL
My boat also came with the stainless prop tubes, but I added hydraulics because both my wife and I weren't strong enough to raise the original. I suspect that Roger only sold that model to Paul Bunyan.

Chip V.
S/V Sand Dollar