Controlling sail shape on a club footed jib

Nov 3, 2018
Cape Dory, Albin 300ms Motorsailer, Vega Baltimore
My new to me boat has a club footed jib. When off the wind with the sheet eased the leach twists off and I haven’t figured out how to control the leach tension. Seems like some sort of vang is needed. Has anyone solved this problem?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The jib boom can run on a runner like a traveler. That will stretch the leach.

Perhaps the sail needs to be recut.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
yes, i understand how to fly a club-footed jib. love the sail. love to use it. it's from an era when boats worked for a living.

Nov 3, 2018
The jib boom runs on a traveler that does not have an independent control over the traveler car. The boom is sheeted to the end with a bridal type arraignment. I’m heading down to the boat today and will take some pictures.

May 25, 2012
mine too. travel car has no adjustments for jib track. don't need it.

May 25, 2012
the club footed jib is for driving to weather. it's a beating sail. not a reaching sail. great for cruising. none better. you see all these modern sailors that use the iron jib to sail to weather. boring!! with this jib you can fast tack a tight channel, really tight. you can fast tack 50 miles along a coast sight seeing along the way. you can work through a maze of islands, like in the north channel, all while working to weather. in a beat you want reduced sail area. well, the little jib means no need to reef the main. and the slot is wide open in front from the jib so your main is pulling at 100%. plenty of speed.

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
back before sailing vessels had engines and you need to jog back and forth while the entire crew was fishing in the dorys. and only a few boys manned the ship, you sure did not want to have to set jib sheets every 5 minutes as you jogged back and forth.
back before engines and you wanted to sail up a tight channel to get to port, easy peezee, just steer.

May 25, 2012
now, let's say you want to reach off for a bit to go over to a pretty cove you noticed 5 miles to the side. fine, easy to do. rig a line from the back of your boom down to the side of the deck somewhere and pull the boom down. maybe a block at the rail with the line fed back the the cockpit winch. this will do the same job as a boom vang.

May 25, 2012
so now you worked to weather all day and you come around a bluff and you want to reach 20 mile to the side. throw up that Asymmetrical and go. on your CD. you prolly have a big reaching sail up front. well, the design is that the club-jib is for going to weather and the big reacher is for going off the wind.
neat, old school, easy

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
rig a line from the back of your boom down to the side of the deck somewhere and pull the boom down. maybe a block at the rail with the line fed back the the cockpit winch.
Similar to a “tweaker” rigged on a Genoa to adjust the shape or angle of attack of the sail.
Very salty, Jon. :beer::biggrin:

Nov 3, 2018
Thanks for the insight Jon. Makes sense that the club footed jib is best used for beating. An asymmetric came with the boat but I have not had it up yet. That sail and a couple of snatch blocks sounds like it could solve the problem.

May 25, 2012
the A sail is super easy to use. head dead down wind to put up or take down. the sail is then in the wind shadow of the main. then round up to course.

Mak41

Jul 26, 2019
Oday Daysailer 2 6211 Chautauqua Lake & others.
A club that is fastened at the tack should maintain sail shape throughout the swing, maybe an arched traveler for the sheet block would be the answer or, for a club fastened aft of the tack on the foredeck, sail shape is intensionally eased for off-wind sailing but, if you find the sail twist too much then a Vang on the club would work.