Control Panel

Sep 8, 2020
S2 9.2A 30' Shumway
I just bout a 30' S2 9.2a, the person I bought it from mentioned there may be an issue with the control panel, specifically regulating charge of the batteries. I honestly feel it may be something else, however, I am wondering two things. I have searched all over, and have not been able to find anywhere to get replacement power control panels if this is what I need to replace. Does anyone know of where I can find this? Also, if anyone can advise on the specifics, possibly faulty set up here, but two of the main issues I have noticed is the minifridge, and microwave which were installed before the previous owners, as well as the outlets, do not seem to run or work when the boat is not connected to shore power. I tested the batteries with the switch, and it says both are in the green. I was also thinking of hooking up Solar panels, which may solve this problem, but I'd like to figure this one out first.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
What engine do you have (apologize if the S2 9.2a only came with 1 option).

the control panel is usually matched to the engine.

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
As I re-read your original post, I wonder if you meant the AC/DC control panel (breakers and switches for all of the electrical circuits)? If so, then I apologize as that is not paired with the engine.
8F7CE4FA-0340-46FA-8564-48EC45B586DF.jpeg
is this what you are referring to?

I am sure some experts in electrical systems will respond, but a few things I would check into:
1) Battery charger- I assume you have one..what type, age, etc. and is it working?
2) Alternator - same questions
3) Battery bank size, age and condition?

Your comment about outlets for microwave and fridge not working when not connected to shore power is normal, unless you have an Inverter to take DC power (12-volt batteries) and convert to AC power (110 volt house current).

My boat is probably set up like yours... 12-volt house bank to run “DC” equipment (radios, Nav lights, house lights, a few DC fans, Auto pilot, instruments, bilge pump, etc) and an AC side that is only powered from shore power to run 110 volt water heater, battery charger, and 110:eek:utlets and whatever I plug into them. I do not have an inverter.

I would understand your electrical system before adding anything else to it (like solar).

Sorry for the false start...if I still have it wrong, let us know.

Greg

Sep 8, 2020
S2 9.2A 30' Shumway
yes thats what im talking about. She has 2 12volt batteries one starter and one for everything else. from what i can tell she has an inverter. The charger appears to be working. The boat was in storage for 2 years, I had it plugged in for a day and she started right up. The engine has a generator, so while its running it should be charging both batteries.

Jan 7, 2011
I don’t think that there is too much to go wrong in the electrical panel (if it is wired correctly).

The generator on the engine is called an alternator, and does in fact charge the batteries when the engine is inning (or should if it is working correctly and wired properly.

I would be more suspect of the batteries and their condition, the battery charger, and the inverter (if in fact you have one). Failure of these components could certainly lead to the symptoms you are having.

As far as electrical panels go, you can buy those at marine supply houses (like West Marine, Defender, and others).

You just need to find one that has the #of breakers you need and that fits your space...

Greg

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
You will not find a direct replacement for the “control panel” which is actually a circuit breaker panel. There is most likely nothing wrong with it Unless there are wiring errors or a breaker fails (Not likely). The one on the left is the DC breaker panel. All those switches are circuit breakers for different electrical functions and the big red round one is the battery selector switch if you have two battery banks. That switch controls what battery is being used for loads and charging from the alternator assuming factory wiring is still in place. Anything in that breaker panel can be replaced. The one on the right is also a breaker panel but for AC loads only. Unless you have an inverter, these only work while plugged into shore power. I would suggest some reading to learn electrical skills and theory. Don Casey is a good start. You also might invest in an hrs time for an electrician to get you started.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I agree with Marks post.
Also, the panel doesn’t “regulate“ battery charging. The battery switch most likely controls which battery bank is being charged.
This thread will teach you everything you need to know about battery switches.
1/Both/2/Off Switches
I'm going to guess the previous owner didn’t understand how the battery switch worked in connection with charging the batteries. That or the batteries or charger are failing. Nothing to do with the control panel itself though.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Your inverter often has an on/off switch to prevent you from burning thru batteries. Another thing to check is if your house bank is charged. You might be only charging the start battery depending on how your wired.