Control Freak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SailboatOwners.com

Don Guillette lists the eight primary controls for the mainsail as: the traveler, mainsheet, halyard, outhaul, cunningham, boom vang, mast bend, and leech cord. Recognizing that not every boat has all of these controls, how many of them do you normally use when you're out sailing? Why don't you use all you do have? Share your mainsail control experiences and be sure to vote in the Quick Quiz at the bottom of the home page. (Quiz contributed by Gary Wyngarden)

M

Martin Cole

Definately a Control Freak!

The only one that I don't use of those controls listed is Mast Bend. The reason is that although my 1991 Hunter 28 has a backstay adjustment, I have never noticed that it seems to have very much affect on the bend of the mast. Because of the fractional rig, there is already a bend to the mast and easing the backstay adjustment doesn't seem to take much of that out. I have always assumed that this is because the mainsheet & topping lift keep some tension at the masthead. Of the other controls listed, I find that they contribute significantly to getting top sailing performance from the boat. Martin Cole s/v Aries

B

Bruce Foshay

All But Two

Presently, the only adjustment methods that we don't use to eek out as much performance as we can from our floating home (read as-competitive cruising craft). Are the cunningham and mast bend. We regullary go through a routine of making use all the rest of the availble methods for trimming the Main sail. This was also true on our recently retired 1996 H26. Bruce

Jul 22, 1996
Hunter 356 Deale MD
Fun?

I thought sailing was supposed to be fun. Fiddling with controls all the time is not my idea of fun. But then I am a casual sailor/crusier and not into squeezing the last .001 knot out of the boat for a race win. But, as the saying goes, to each his own. Thus under this principle, fiddling with lots of controls is someone else's idea of fun. SV *Stargazer

J

Jim Stevens

If these are primary, what would be secondary?

I don't know what a cunningham is, don't have a vang or leach cord, never have adjusted the mast bend at all, don't touch the outhaul all season, use the halyard twice each sail (raise and lower), move the traveller whenever it's necessary to keep a clear path to the cooler. That leaves the sheet, well OK -- I do use that.

G

Geof Tillotson

Depends on the day

Some days are for relaxing sails, kicking back with no where to go and "anytime we get there" is fine. Then there are the days when you gotta get there. On the anytime days, I'll touch the vang, cunningham, sheet, traveler, halyard and outhaul. But mostly because I'm interested in what the boat will do under different adjustments. I won't do it a lot though if there are friends aboard who I would have to step over constantly. Also, if they are somewhat nervous sailors, setting the trim and just sailing makes them more relaxed, so be it. On the other days, all I want to do is squeeze what I can out of the boat in different circumstances and I'll try almost anything. Never messed with the mast bend on this boat, probably won't, but everything else is fair game. Geof s/v Day-O

J

Jim Lindsay

Canuck West

I use the Main Sheet, Halyard, Outhaul, Backstay Adjustment(mast bend), Traveller, and Leech Line to trim my Main, I do not have a Cummingham or Vang.

B

BILL ROBB

GUESS I SHOULD LEARN

I think you have to define "use" in this case. Like most of the sailors I've been with, I trim (tighten) each of these lines (except the backstay adjuster - which I don't have)to get a good sail shape, but then usually leave them alone afterwards. I usually leave the "tweaking" if I have a fellow sailor on-board that likes to play with the lines. Bill on STARGAZER

A

Andy Howard

Optimal Settings

My primary goal is to optimize cup-holder location, with the secondary goal of getting satisfaction from the radio dial.

R

Rusty

Simple Sailor so far

The most advanced that I get beyond the main sheet and halyard is the outhaul. I just got my 26D and hope to race with friends (on their Thistle or Isotope) to learn the skill and value of the other controls. My Chrysler Dagger (now for sale) had a boom vang and traveler but my 26D does not. I feel I am a cruiser at heart, though, so, even when I know more I'll still probably keep it simple.

C

chuck

all of them

we use all of the mailsail controls. (some less than others) The leech chord is usually adjusted before a race and left alone. We adjust all of the others, especially when rounding a mark. During the leg we keep refining our mainsail until we attain the best speed. When cruising, we do much less.

M

martin hayes

control freak

traveler - constantly, on both Tanzer 26(racing) and Aloha 34(cruising) maisheet - constantly when racing 26, as needed to set sails on 34 jib halyard - loosen on downwind legs when racing on 26 outhaul - on 26 when sail needs fine adjusmets done cunningham - don't have on either boat boom vang - on 26 in moderate or heavy wind mast bend - don't have on either leech cord - used regularly, adjust on 26 as needed

D

Don Guillette

Control Freak

Mates: I'm the author of the the two products contained in the quiz. What a great response to the Quiz!! I'll be out of town until next Tuesday. I'll be test driving big block race boat engines for a friend of mine at Lake Havasu,AZ That is as far away from sailing a boat as one can get. When I return I'll put all the responses together and give a summary. I can take the mystery out of sail trim for you. You'll be amazed how simple it is when it is presented in an easy to understand and simple manner.It is as easy to understand as making egg salad!! At this point, just remember that all your mainsail and jib controls were put there for a reason. They are not just a decoration the boat manufacture attached to your boat. Believe me,if they weren't important, he wouldn't spend the money to attach them. Also, and this is important - there is no such thing as racing trim and cruising trim. There is only a right way and a wrong way to trim your sails. Racers make the EXACT SAME adjustments that cruisers make but they make them more frequently. Keep them cards and letters coming!!! See ya when I get back.

J

Jeff Messick

Sailing or blowing around with a sail ?

There might be another factor worth investigating when we talk about who "tweak" their sails and who just blow along with the wind. I'm guessing that those who learned to sail on small boats (daysailors and dingys) are most likely to think about sail trim. When even small changes in trim are felt in the seat of your pants, and major errors are rewarded by getting very wet, your observation of the conditions tend to become very keen. Regardless of the reason, a well trimmed boat moves faster, makes a better course, and stays on its feet better ... all with less abuse on the crew and the boat. Besides that, you can be at the anchorage enjoying refreshments as you watch the other come in. Yep, all those controls have a reason for being there, and it's not all that complicated nor constantly demanding.

R

Ramsay Selden

Good Stuff!

I have found Don Guilette's stuff--and as explained by Peter Schweer (How to Trim Sails)--to be very helpful and get me beyond the basics in sail trim. This stuff really makes your boat faster in many conditions. I use the halyard, sheet, and vang regularly while I'm sailing, and I'll start using my outhaul, luff tensioner and leech stiffener when I get my rigging sorted out next Spring.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Use 'Em or Lose 'Em

Whether cruising or racing (rare, but known to have happened for us at least eight times in the last 20 years!), we use them all. As many have said, that's what they are there for. traveller - constantly, we have a nice wide traveller with the improved Garhhauer 6 part system, used with vang and mainsheet mainsheet - used with the traveller and the vang to get optimum twist and angle of attack, as well as to set the leach telltales streaming jib halyard - rarely reset with roller furling, use backstay tensioner instead outhaul - Catalina outhauls are a joke (in boom, no purchase); added extra block outside, only adjust when wind strength varies considerably cunningham - added one when I bought the boat, couldn't do without it to keep the luff tight when the main halyard's all the way up (our main really fills the space completely from the top to the boom, and when the wind pipes up, the cummingham is the only luff tensioner we have) boom vang - Garhauer rigid, just great mast bend - added a new Garhauer backstay tensioner last year, only used to tighten the luff of the jib. Catalina masts are not fractional, and they're telephone poles, they DO NOT bend. leech cord - used regularly, keeps popping out when we tack, needs a new cam cleat, very hepful to avoid leach flutter Seems to me that this generic, and useful question, has "subsets" that are not necessarily applicable to all boats (i.e., mast bend)

W

Wayne Estabrooks

Laid back sailor

Like some that answered I don't fuss too much with all the controls except when someone on board (Sail Class students) wants to experiment.I still seem to be able to pass the other boats. traveler, yes to optimize performance in various conditions - light air - heavy wind etc. mainsheet, I use this the most to control to trim halyard, I usually set it and forget it outhaul, Not often changed cunningham, Don't have one, tension luff with halyard boom vang, I loosen it before hoisting main and use it to control twist to optimize sail trim or flatten to point better mast bend, I have a pre-bend in the mast and no backstay on my h340 leech cord, Haven't messed with it much.

C

Capt. Kimo

Control the Main

>eight primary controls for the mainsail as: the >traveler No, not installed >mainsheet Yes, held in hand during high winds to release quickly. >halyard Yes, led back to cockpit. Allows the main to be lowered for reefing without going to the mast cleat. >outhaul Yes, loosen to catch more of the wind during light wind conditions. Pulled tight for high winds. >cunningham No, Not installed. >boom vang Yes, need to change the line to a more lengthy one to allow it to be adjusted more easily from the cockpit. Used to flatten the sail in heavy wind. >mast bend Yes, adjusted by shoudes and backstay. Keep only 2 degree aft bend to straight. >leech cord Yes, when leech flaps pull to reduce the flapping. Not frequently used.

J

John Dorowski

Use what I have

If the O'Day 222 had a traveler, I'd surely be using it. As it is equipped with a backstay mounted mainsheet, I do as I can without it. Currently don't have a Cunningham either, but I find the cruising and club racing isn't so critical to make that great a difference. I'm in the process of re-rigging the backstay to a split stay with additional tensioner to allow for mast bend adjustment. Until the traveler is installed, I make do with the vang for any boom tensioning control. (which really isn't the same, but does lessen the wild swinging). After splitting the backstay, the traveler will run athwartship from coaming to coaming just aft of the centerboard control line. As for all the other controls, I've learned from very experienced sailors/racers what their purpose is, and have been practicing with their use in the various wind and weather conditions. Not quite up to par with experienced hands, but they're patient with me, and I'll keep practicing. Forever. Or for as long as I can still board my vessel. Fair winds and clear skies. See ya out there JD

Status
Not open for further replies.