Continuous mainsail furling

Aug 2, 2022
Hunter 31 Loyalist Cove
Good morning. I recently bought a 2010 Hunter 31.

The boat has Selden in-mast furling and a mainsail furling winch at the base of the mast. When I bought the boat it came with 'open-ended' furling line run back through the cockpit clutches and during the sea trial everything worked normally. The seller had already ordered a new continuous loop Main furling line and when I took delivery of the boat, this was what was installed.

I've found that this line wont work properly to furl in the mainsail from the cockpit. It simply slips through the winch and won't 'grab' the teeth in the winch. I believe that its 3/8 inch braided line. Using the winch handle at the winch to furl in the main works fine, so the problem isnt the winch itself or the furling system.

Is it possible that this line is just too thin.????....or is there something I can do to get the furling line to "catch" on the winch..??

Thanks very much for any ideas.

Jim C.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Your post is not clear main sail direction.

Furl = In
Un-Furl = Out

Can you clarify a bit more?
Jim...

PS: Pictures help

Aug 2, 2022
Hunter 31 Loyalist Cove
Sorry....its furling IN that it the problem.
And justsomeguy........I'm wondering that too. the line might be just too thin to catch on the teeth of thew mast winch.......although alot of the other line on the boat is 3/8 inch and I'd guess thats factory installed line judging from the look and age of it.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Winches only work one direction. Perhaps you're pulling the wrong line. Or you aren't operating it properly. Send us a picture or two.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats on the new boat.
The statement
simply slips through the winch and won't 'grab' the teeth in the winch.
leads me to think your talking about the winch self tailing function. Some ST winches are particular about the line size and type you use.

I believe that its 3/8 inch braided line.
While 3/8 yacht braid may work some of the hi-tech lines will not.

Using the winch handle at the winch to furl in the main works fine,
This statement makes me think you’re talking about the mainsheet. My SWAG suggests the mainsheet is a larger diameter. The “Teeth” you reference use a range of line sizes, dependent on manufacturer. Some can be adjusted others can not.

As a possible work around you could create friction on the winch drum and have a crew member tail the line. 4 wraps should provide the friction you need. Also be sure you relieve all pressure on the mainsail by heading straight into the wind.

Pictures help us narrow the issue. If be chance you are using a winch with a line clutch the type of line can also have issues.

Aug 2, 2022
Hunter 31 Loyalist Cove
Thanks for everyone’s input…it’s much appreciated. I’ll get a better picture of the setup that I’m referring to and describe better what I’m referring to…………

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
If the line is moving freely through the mast winch then chances are it is too thin or too slippery, as noted above. Or, it might also have "jumped the track" and slid off the winch gear. If it doesn't move at all, then perhaps you need to try again on starboard tack, keeping slight pressure on the outhaul . I find that on my boat the edge of the sail can catch on the edge of the slot and refuse to budge on port tack.
It shouldn't matter under most circumstances, but switching the lever at the mast winch from "free" to ratchet or vice versa might also make a difference.

Aug 2, 2022
Hunter 31 Loyalist Cove
This is the winch at the bottom of the mast. The red line is the continuous loop Mainsail furling winch. When the mainsail is deployed, this is the line that is used to furl it back in. There are two positions on the winch....FREE and RATCHET. In the FREE position, when the line is pulled in either direction the winch drum just 'freely rotates in both/either direction . When the winch is in the RATCHET position and the red line is pulled, it simply slips back and for the through the winch drum and doesnt furl the sail in. .....the line slips through the drum. The line SEEMS to be appropriately sized but it feels like its too small to grip the teeth in the drum when put under the pressure of trying to furl in the sail. Any ideas...????... Thanks

Attachments

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I have few thoughts, but lets start with a base case.

Main sail is out of the mast and ready to furl back inside.
There is no wind in the Main sail.

On a continuous furling line.
1) The wench WINCH provides muscle power to pull the main inside the mast
2) The cockpit side on the line, must be free to move.
Other lines
3) If you have a boom vang, release its line.
4) Release the mainsail sheets.

3&4 lets your boom "Float" and frees you Mainsail to be wenched in easily.

Jim...

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
In your 2nd pic the line looks small for the winch jaws to me. Have you checked with the manufacturers specs to see what size line they recommend?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Looks like you have a Selden rig. Here is the parts diagram

The number on the "Cover plate" matches the Selden part number for a Mark III furler on page 6.
The Additional Items pg 20 references a continuous line part. I would contact Selden and ask them the size. It looks like a breaking strength is referenced in the document, but size is not clear.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Ok all, he is new to in-mast furling.

He needs to learn the Mechanism.

No springs or such, when @jssailem come sailing with me, I have an Electric winch in the cockpit.

He might help guide the furling line, to make sure it does not jump the spool inside the mast.

Jim...

PS: it take the Admiral and me 2 minutes to Furl the main

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I have this same winch fitted on my e33. Along with detailed instructions as to how to use the winch, the manual calls for:
“Use 10 mm diameter double plaited line for the endless loop.”
3/8” should be close enough. I believe that is what my line is and the 2 Lewmar furling line clutch are sized for 5/16” or 3/8”. I would guess you are currently using hi-tech line and it is slipping. I am not sure how the previous owner ordered a new continuous furling line and was then able to install it through the 2 companionway clutches but that is neither here nor there.
If you remove the current line at the winch (ie remove the winch cover and slip the furling line off) try using different lines both size and material temporarily to determine what works.

Aug 2, 2022
Hunter 31 Loyalist Cove
Thanks all for your help and ideas. I think I will try removing the existing continuous loop line and temporarily try something just a step larger in diameter and see if that works. I appreciate all the input .......
And to Hellobelow,......I can only assume that the line was spliced on deck once the line was run through the winch and the 2 clutches......cant think of any other way......

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Thanks all for your help and ideas. I think I will try removing the existing continuous loop line and temporarily try something just a step larger in diameter and see if that works. I appreciate all the input .......
Or a size smaller??? Is your current furling line sitting on top of the winch teeth or sitting in the teeth when both lines are moderately tensioned? You do need to keep some tension on the lazy inhaul furling line when bringing the sail in. Also what is the size of your 2 furling line clutches? If you go larger you may have issues there. Here is a pic of my 2 furling clutches and 2 others.

IMG_0719.jpeg

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
Aug 2, 2022
Hunter 31 Loyalist Cove
So it looks like the winch is working and the line is the right size.....(I really appreciate you sending along that rigging specs chart too.)
Its beginning to sound like 'operator error"...:facepalm: