Continuing North

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
As I have said before, The essence of cruising is being able to change your mind. I hope I’m not disappointing those of you who like to like to think of the freewheeling Roger wandering without care up and down the east coast but there are changes coming in my life.

I’ve been thinking a lot during this forced stop in Beaufort about both economics and what I really want out of life. It’s easy to just keep moving and let the changing of the scenery and the adventure of navigating substitute for healthy self reflection. Stopping for a while and walking the beautiful streets of this town has brought a much needed opportunity to ponder.

In addition to the possibility of being involved in the research vessel project, I recently had some discussions that opened my eyes to the opportunities in the Washington, DC area. It isn’t just where the sausage of government is made. Words are powerful, things are studied, thirty years working in a regulated transportation industry make a lot of my experience relevant, etc.

My current course clearly is not economically sustainable. I am just one root canal or engine problem from the cash gauge hitting the red line. After all these months, I’m also starting to feel an urge to be more than just a wandering cruiser again.

The mechanic comes in the morning. Assuming the engine is back together tomorrow, I am going to continue north on Saturday heading for a marina somewhere near enough to DC that I can investigate some opportunities there. My son is doing a January internship with his congressional representative so I hope to arrive before the end of the month.

There should be some good posts about heading north quickly so early in the year. I’ve decided to go right away because it’s my nature to be impatient once I have made a decision and also so that I’ll have time to still go on to Maine and Canada of it seems like I am destined to be just a strange old guy alone in a boat wandering up and down the coast.

I’ll still be posting and cruising but posts may become less frequent or shift to the topic of living aboard. It’s all cruising and I’ll keep writing as long as the view numbers on the threads stay high enough for SBO to feel giving me the space is worthwhile.

Jan 18, 2011
Hunter 26 Beaufort SC
That's the great thing about being free to do what you want when you want. Change plans at an instant. Do whatever you feel. Go whenever you want wherever.
With the nasty weather here today it's probably not a good day to ponder life. Kind of depressing weather really. Having been in Marathon FL last week in 83 degree weather I can promise it may give you another frame of mind if you made it that far. Even St Augustine offered tshirt and shorts weather.
If you do head north, how much time could you shave off taking it offshore from St Helena Sound to Beaufort,NC or at least Southport?
We're here all weekend and still have that beer waiting.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Roger, if you get this way and need to bump a dock, give me a shout. Need a hand to tinker with boat, or a decent place to hang, we're always lookin' to help out a travellin' man..

(Besides, it'd be easier to come up the Cape Fear approaches, and back out Snows Cut than crossing Frying Pan. Spooky patch of sand out there).

Jun 5, 2012
Custom Mimi Rose Brooklin
If you're passing through Charleston, we'd love to meet you. Anchored in the Ashley River just north of the fixed bridge for probably the next week or so. Come by and say hello!

Colin + Anne
S/V Mimi Rose
Brooklin, ME

Nov 22, 2008
We're here all weekend and still have that beer waiting.
I hope the engine is done soon enough to get through the bridge and be anchored in the creek tonight. Look for me right up by your dock.

If you don't see me, it will probably be because I either ran into a hitch with the engine or missed the bridge closure and ducked down the river into the pocket behind the sandbank. It's going to be calm enough to spend the night there.

I hope to take you up on that beer.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
My current course clearly is not economically sustainable. I am just one root canal or engine problem from the cash gauge hitting the red line. After all these months, I’m also starting to feel an urge to be more than just a wandering cruiser again.
Fiscal cliff? Careful in the DC area, they really don't know about budgeting like Mainers. We're going to be here through the mid spring itch. Look forward to following you back up the coast.

All U Get

Nov 22, 2008
I hope to take you up on that beer.

The engine work went so much faster than I expected that I'm going to get off in time to knock off some miles. Days like this are too good to waste.

Thanks for the invitation. I'll try to catch you next time.

Aug 21, 2006
Pearson 367 Alexandria, VA
Roger,

Just a quick note...

The Gilmerton Bridge project will cause closure of the ICW south of Norfolk area.

"During part of the time, boating traffic will be impacted for up to 10 days and the Coast Guard will enforce the closure at the Intracoastal Waterway mile 5.8 between January 7 through 16. Inclement weather dates are January 12, 2013 through January 16, 2013."

http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/hamptonroads/gilmerton_bridge_replacement_project.asp

http://www.virginiadot.org/VDOT/Projects/Hampton_Roads/asset_upload_file988_44966.pdf

Garner

Jan 18, 2011
Hunter 26 Beaufort SC
No problem. Enjoy your trip back north. And yes that did feel strange telling someone that in January.

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
ICW closing

"The Gilmerton Bridge project will cause
closure of the ICW south of Norfolk area."

Does this mean Roger will have to go outside?
This may get interesting.
Sailing around Cape Hatteras...

Do we have any experienced captains who
have gone outside in a 32 foot sailboat?

Ed K

Attachments

May 7, 2004
Hunter 38 Little River, SC
I don't see Gilmerton Bridge being a problem for Roger if he drags his feet slightly for a day or two between Charleston and Oriental.

Status
Not open for further replies.