Constant Water in My Bilge

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul

I have an 1978 O'Day 23. I constantly have water in my bilge and I cannot figure out where it is coming from. Last week I got all of the water out of the bilge -- I sponged out the last drops. I made sure that my one thru-hull is closed up (its for the forward sink drain). I came back to the boat 1 week later and the bilge was about 1/4 full of water again. It had rained a little bit that week; but I can't locate any leaks in the deck or chain plates. Maybe the water is getting in through the lazarettes? Could the water be coming in through the keel joint? The bilge never over flows with water; but it is usually filled nearly to the top. Any ideas on what the problem might be and ways to isolate where the water is coming from? Thanks, Paul

T

Trevor - SailboatOwners.com

fresh water tank?

Hi Paul - First off, has it rained much lately? If not, then the water is either sea water or fresh water from a tank. If you are moored in salt water, the old taste test can help. Perhaps the fresh water tank or a fitting is leaking? Best, Trevor

P

Paul

Inland River

It did rain some last week but it wasn't a huge downpour or anything. Like I said though, if it is rain water that is getting in, I can't figure out where. I don't seem to have any leaks in the cabin. Maybe the lazzarettes in the cockpit? I suppose I could sponge the bilge dry again and then take a hose to the cockpit to see if anything gets in. Does that seem like a good test? I sail on the fresh water Mississippi river. So I can't do the taste test (unless I taste for raw sewage). Seriously though, I actually do not keep ANY of the water tanks filled on the boat. I have never even used the water tanks. The only ways for water to get in the bilge that I know of are 1) Rain, 2) river water through the hull, or 3) some kid is sticking a hose in the cabin and filling the bilge up every week. By the way, the mast is deck stepped.

May 10, 2004
Beneteau 36 CC Sidney, BC, Canada
oday 272

Paul, I ued to own an oday 272 which had a similar problem, I assume you have an "salt" water leak, although in Minneapolis you are not likely floating in salt water, but that much water sounds like it must be coming from the water the boat is floating in. Sounds to me like you have more than a rain water leak, especially if you only have one thru hull. I recall the oday 23 has a rudder that hangs off pintles at the stern, is the lower pintle above the water line? if not ?? Cockpit drain hoses? I found a way to track leaks is to use a water soluble marker and draw lines in various areas where I think the water may be running/flowing - then come back a few days later and check the lines a leak will wash away a part of the marker line. Empty you fresh water tank and leave it empty for a few days - see if the bilge fills. Visualize your boat from stem to stern and write a list of any possible water sources, Anchor locker seam, anchor locker drain, sink thru hull (even if you think it is "closed"), rudder post or pintles, cockpit drains, I assume you use a self contained head but was boat built like that or could there be an old discharge thru hull under the head area? be creative and slowly rule out one source at a time... When you solve the problem it will feel great... :) My salt water leak was from a bad keel / stub seam leak. We put up with it for a couple of years but finally we had to haul the boat drop the keel 6 inches clean out the old bedding/sealant and re tighten the bolts. After that no more leaks.

B

Bill O'Donovan

Check the gunwales

If the caulk is loose, water can seep in there consistently. The fix is to remove, clean with acetate, and recaulk.

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
Finding the culprit

Lots of places to look have been suggested to you; I found the culprit on my '79 Oday 23: the anchor locker drain line. It appeared to be securely fastened to the plug in the bow, but turned out to be leaking badly. The water would saturate the cabin hull carpeting, pool under the porta-potti, then flow to the bilge. I only found it because I needed to clean the mud off my anchor in the well. I used the hose at the dock, and when I went into the cabin a little later, the v-berth area was soaked with water containing fine mud. Busted!

Feb 27, 2005
Hunter 33.5 Missouri
Bilge water

Paul I too have a similar problem. Can sail all day and check the bilge and it's dry. Come back after a rain and find water. Another hose to check is the cockpit drain hose. Could have an unseen crack. The anchor locker drain hose (as mentioned) is another. As suggested, a process of elimination is in order. I plan to use a water hose and flood any and all potential entry points until I find it. I won't assume anything at this point, will check all deck hardware, forward hatch seal, stanchions, etc. You get the picture. Good Luck!

P

Paul

Why does bilge never overflow?

If it is rainwater coming in, why does the bilge never overflow with water? There ahve been times where I have left the boat for 3 weeks and it has rained a lot. It always comes close to the top of the bilge but never over. I will try flooding everything with a hose to see where it might be getting in up top. I have never found water up by the v-berth or anywhere though. And I don't see any leaking in the cabin. But like you say, I guess it will have to be a process of elimination. If it ends up being that water is coming in through the keel, is there a way to drop the keel on an O'Day 23 and re-attach it? I should say, is there a way for a Do-It-Yourselfer to tackle that project? Thanks, Paul

D

Doug L

chainplates?

I had a significant amount of rain water coming in at the chainplates on my MacGregor 25 before I resealed them, the water flows down the shrouds or stays & into the boat.

Feb 27, 2005
Hunter 33.5 Missouri
Bilge water

Paul I'll be on my boat tomorrow. Last had water in the bilge on Sunday, after a substantial rain. Not much, probably 3 cups, sponged it dry then let it air dry. Had another good rain yesterday, will be curious to see if it reappeared. I don't ever see any evidence of the path due to the fact the boat is generally closed up and the heat build up inside the hull and cabin dries everything but the bilge. Rebedded the chainplates in June so I'll rule that out for now. I've checked the boat after being away for two weeks (no rain during that time) and found it dry. Will check it carefully tomorrow and let you know if find anything. Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.