Considering moving into a 1977 Hunter 27 from an '83 Catalina 27...

Oct 26, 2017
Catalina 27 Cleveland, OH
both have been fairly well maintained, similar condition. The Hunter has enough equipment and gear to make selling the Catalina marginally worth the change. At this price point, cheaper to just sell and get a different boat than to do the individual upgrades to the current boat!

Any thoughts on the 1977 Hunter 27 specifically? The little research we've done, seems like the Hunter build quality was pretty hit-or-miss depending on the year and model.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
The Catalina 27 is one of the most popular boats ever built. From a performance standpoint, the Catalina 27 tall rig is a much better boat than the Hunter 27, IMHO.....

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
What is the headroom on the Catalina 27? The Hunter is 6 ft.

I’m not aware of build quality problems on the h27. Our ‘77 is very well built.

With the job/genny sheets running from the toerail outside the shrouds, the h27 does not point very well. So I wouldn’t buy one to race. But ours has been a great cruising boat.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
I looked at both when I moved up from a Catalina 22. I wanted wheel steering, an inboard diesel, and an enclosed head (not a porta-potty). The Catalina's all seemed to have tillers & outboards and I ran across the shallow draft H27 that I ended up buying and am happy with it. The C27 probably is faster, but I'm a cruiser, not a racer, so that wasn't important to me.
I've had similar thoughts about trading sideways into a boat where someone has already done the hard work, but I think I'm in for the long haul at this point.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
I owned an '85 Catalina 27 for a few years before it was totaled by Hurricane Isabel. It was a tall rig with wheel steering and inboard Universal diesel. A sweet and swift sailing boat. I also believe that every cruiser is also a racer. Go out for a Sunday sail and everyone is trying to sail faster, point higher, and generally get ahead of everyone else....

Last edited: