Considering Hunter 49 Purchase !

Apr 27, 2021
Dufour 40 Los Angeles
My Hunter 50 is a tall rig, non furling main. I have owned the boat for over 5 years. It is a wonderful boat and I would buy it again.
Trimmed correctly the 49/50 does not have any more weather helm than other boats I have sailed. In fact it is the best sailing boat I have ever sailed. This fact was confirmed by a professional skipper who has moved the boat from New York to Florida.
I can understand that it does not have a generator, but no A/C? Where was the boat originally delivered to, Antarctica? Installing A/C is going to be difficult to install as there are 3 units, really, really, really difficult if the factory vents and ductwork are not present.
Hunter installed for the generator a Fischer Panda Mini 12. I would not be surprised if a completely fresh install would be upwards of 20 grand.
Hi. Been a while. Fast forward to now, I finally found a Marlow Hunter 50 in CA that is seemingly in excellent condition. It needs electric primaries an A/P Remote and a bimini extension aft of the arch. It has the in-mast furling standard rig. That is my perhaps only concern. I was looking for the more performance-oriented tall rig but no joy. I much prefer the Marlow fit and finish as opposed to the HUnter 49. As far as you know, is there a significant decrease in performance with the standard rig? Anything tips regarding what I might note during the survey should I proceed?

Feb 11, 2019
Hunter 29.5 Bristol, PA
The Hunter 49 looks like a wonderful boat. I'll be sailing on the US East Coast and wonder if any owners can comment on finding transient slips for a boat that big?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
“Big” is relative. If you’ve ever looked around Newport, Annapolis, Miami/FLL, etc…, 49 feet is tiny by comparison. Transient slips that long are ubiquitous in many places. It depends where you want to go. And then there is always an anchor for the others.

Feb 11, 2019
Hunter 29.5 Bristol, PA
Thanks, Don.

We plan to live aboard, mostly on the hook. That said, I'm sure we will want to get into slips at least a few times a month, and it adds up. Our primary area for slips will be between NY and Charlestown.

Feb 11, 2019
Hunter 29.5 Bristol, PA
I purchased a 2007 H49 in 2019. Added 800 watts of solar (4 - 200 watt solid panels) and mounted them off the davits. I didn't keep an actual accounting of it but it was around $2,000 or slightly more. I completed the install myself, so this was material cost only. Wiring the system was clean and straight forward due to the amount of open space and access below cabin sole.

I am planning to install a water-maker and again due to the amount of room below the floor boards and open access through out the boat it seems like it should be a relatively easy install, as well.

A generator was installed by the previous owner after the factory build. It is a Next Generation Power 5.5 and that handles the boat loads well when it is needed, which will be a lot less now with the solar.

I have no regrets buying the H49. Good Luck!
I'm looking at a Hunter 49 currently. Can I ask what you paid for yours? Any suggestions for what I should be looking out for with this boat?

The boat I'm looking at is in very good shape. It has the 110 hp motor, which is rather a tight fit. I'm concerned with engine access.

JR

Daze

Dec 16, 2019
Hunter 49 Marblehead, MA
Hi JR - Just happened to see your questions. May be too late for a response but here you go. Regarding price I bought mine in 2019, so it's not relative to the current market. The boat value based on asking prices I'm currently seeing for the 49 has gained value since I've purchased. Nothing in particular to look out for with this model. You are correct engine access is a bit tough particularly for the impeller. There are numerous posts on access to the impeller. I have not made any of the modifications but moving the alternator helps when accessing it. It's not an easy job and something you would not want to tackle under duress. It's not a reason not to buy the boat as there are so many great things about H49.

Did you buy or still considering?

Rob

Feb 11, 2019
Hunter 29.5 Bristol, PA
I am still actively looking. I was very favorably impressed with the one I saw (2 times). Just didn't like the price :) . There is one on the market with the slab reefing rather than the in-mast. Have you every hand a problem with the in-mast furreling? I really like the larger SA of the slab reefing, but I can see that it's much easier to have the in-mast. What's your opinion?

Dec 15, 2019
Hunter 49 San Diego
The in mast reefing can be a problem if you have an old Dacron sail. There are several posts from people who have solved their problems with a new main sail. We went with a laminate sail that is thinner and stronger. It furls beautifully. Based on my experience in San Diego, which is not known for lots of wind, the sail area is ample with the furling main. If anything, the boat has a little too much power. We think about reefing in 13 knots of breeze and definitely reef in 15 on the wind. I suppose more sail area would be useful off the wind, but the boat has a powerful rig, and things can get hairy pretty quick. Having a folding or feathering prop helps keep the boat under control as the wind increases. There is a noticeable difference in weather helm. We replaced our fixed blade with a Gori. It is a different boat with the folding prop.

Daze

Dec 16, 2019
Hunter 49 Marblehead, MA
I have an original Dacron sail that will be replaced but I am trying to hold off until I get closer to living and cruising on more of a full-time basis. Even with a 2007 sail the system works well but occasionally I'll have to finagle things a bit. I do not use the electric winch to furl which gives me a better feel if it is not furling properly. I know any problems that I may encounter is due to the age of the sail and not the system itself.

You may already know this but don't let asking price get in the way of making an offer you are comfortable with making. I didn't and I purchased a great boat with a decent equity position after some back and forth negotiation. Sometimes sellers are more motivated than the broker indicates and it becomes a win-win for both parties.

Dec 4, 2023
Hunter 44 Portsmouth
I have an original Dacron sail that will be replaced but I am trying to hold off until I get closer to living and cruising on more of a full-time basis. Even with a 2007 sail the system works well but occasionally I'll have to finagle things a bit. I do not use the electric winch to furl which gives me a better feel if it is not furling properly. I know any problems that I may encounter is due to the age of the sail and not the system itself.

You may already know this but don't let asking price get in the way of making an offer you are comfortable with making. I didn't and I purchased a great boat with a decent equity position after some back and forth negotiation. Sometimes sellers are more motivated than the broker indicates and it becomes a win-win for both parties.
+1 on this point about making offers even if asking price is way too high. The worst thing the seller can say is "no". If they want to move the boat, they will consider your offer if it's fair. Boats depreciate, I think it's important not to overpay for them.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
+1 on this point about making offers even if asking price is way too high. The worst thing the seller can say is "no". If they want to move the boat, they will consider your offer if it's fair. Boats depreciate, I think it's important not to overpay for them.
I would strongly suggest going with the furling main, rather than slab reefing.
It’s a big sail to hoist.
I have no problem sailing the 49 single handed with the in-mast furling.
Please strongly consider the water pump impeller modification. The cost is trivial. Changing the water pump impeller on this engine is a well-documented issue.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
I owned a Hunter 50 with the tall rig and slab reefing for 7 years. Boat sailed great. The biggest downside was putting away the sail and zipping closed the cover.