Considering "Butt ugly" S2 9.2C

Aug 5, 2011
S2 9.2C Deltavillle, VA
My wife and I have owned a S2 9.2C for over 10 years and don't think we could have bought a better boat for our retirement years. We really like the aft cabin, especially when we have grand children with us. Six people can sit comfortably in the cockpit and enjoy a 360 degree view. We added a holding tank immediately and replaced some of the ports as they had not been properly refurbished. Beckson Marine was extremely helpful with instructions for that task. We re-engined in '08 as the 12 hp Yanmar needed rebuilding and some parts were impossible to find. The Universal 20 runs like a sewing machine, however I had to modify the stringers for the installation. Also installed a larger fuel tank.
It may be slower, but that is largely a function of sails and ability. I hear the 9.2 hull has a good racing reputation. I'm sure I need to change the prop.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
The 9.1 is the racer. The 9.2 hull is just a cruising hull with a rating similar to a Catalina 30. If memory serves the PHRF rating for the 9.2 is about 180 while the 9.1 is more like 150.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
What is a "chopper gun" ?
Used to spray chopped strand fiberglass onto the hull mold after gelcoat. Despite the myth,it's not a problem as mostboatmanufacturers use that process to lay the first layer of glass.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Having owned 3 used boats in 3 years, a Capri 22, a Capri 25, and now my S2 7.9... I can't understand WHY S2 has a reputation for having built quality boats.

My Capri 22 was solid glass.
My Capri 25 was foam cored and glassed (to be lighter)
This S2 7.9 is end grain balsa cored glass.

Each boat had a pretty huge set of "design issues." I wouldn't hesitate to buy just about ANY used Capri 22... I'd look for sagging compression posts on the Capri 25... For the S2s (of which I've personally looked at about 6 up close and personal before I finally settled on this one)... they ALL had huge leak issues causing massive core damage to one degree or another. I get that all cored boats (think J boats) have these issues... What I can't understand is why there are so many that have been poorly maintained with such a known issue.

I love my S2 7.9 its a great boat, and once I'm done fixing the core in my port seat, I hope to GOD to never have to repair it again. Yeah right.