Considering "Butt ugly" S2 9.2C

Nov 24, 2014
Catalina 310 Staten Island
At the present time, I am looking for a retirement boat to replace my Pearson 27. Big enough to cruise for a couple of weeks with my wife, but small enough to take out myself for an afternoon sail. Saw a picture of an S2 9.2C for sale in Huntington. One of the ugliest sailboats I have seen in a long time, but seems to have great accomodations for its size, and all lines and winches are in easy reach for single handed sailing. From what I understand, the quality of S2 sailboats is about equal to Pearson; somewhere between "Hunterbenelina" and Saber/Tartan. Any thoughts/recommentations from S2 owners? I don't mind ugly if she has a great personality.

Aug 14, 2014
S2 9.2A Selby Bay, MD
We have a 9.2 aft cockpit and love her. She's new to us, but 30 years old and still going strong. The 9.2C and A should have similar sail characteristics - we really like how ours handles. If you can get past the looks of the center cockpit I am guessing you will like what she offers on the water and below decks for living space. S2 certainly seemed to get the most out of the space on these boats.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey,

I don't really know where S2 got the rep for being better than catalina, beneteau, etc. A number of years ago I was looking for a 30' boat and saw a bunch of the 9.2A models. ALL of them had bad leaks around the ports, with associated mold, rot, etc. below.

I have never been aboard the 9.2C model, but I don't think they would be any better.

If you like center cockpit boats you should also look for the O'day 32.

Personally, I think center cockpit boats need to be at least 40' before they start to look decent. I would much rather have a 34-36 aft cockpit boat than a similar sizes center cockpit.

Barry

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Hey,

I don't really know where S2 got the rep for being better than catalina, beneteau, etc. A number of years ago I was looking for a 30' boat and saw a bunch of the 9.2A models. ALL of them had bad leaks around the ports, with associated mold, rot, etc. below.
Agreed. If they ever had that positive rep, they don't deserve it. I've owned one, and it leaked thru the deck like a sieve. And performance? Some of the G&S Grand Slams excepted, every owner knows why they say S2 stands for 'Slowly Sideways'.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
if you are comparing or looking for one boat that is better than or equal to another boat, you can only compare same brands and models... every brand of boat is so much differnt than another brand, with the few exceptions that the same boat was produced by two different companies, for marketing, buyout, or whatever other reasons it happens.
so when you start trying to compare, you will get more negative responses than you will positive ones.... because everyone thinks the boat they own right now is the best boat ever.... and the one you are trying to compare isnt like theirs and wont ever be like theirs.
we all love our boat and there is nothing that compares to it:D

ugly isnt all bad.... as far as the prettiness of a boat goes, it wont keep you afloat any better, create any less boat maintenance, be any cheaper to maintain, sail any better or be any more fun... it being pretty may stroke your ego a bit better, but a pretty boat, like a woman;) is almost always going to cost more than an ugly one.... both in purchase and maintenance...

buy a well maintained, and "butt ugly" boat and you will be much happier than you will with a very pretty boat that needs a lot of TLC....:D

Nov 24, 2014
if you are comparing or looking for one boat that is better than or equal to another boat, you can only compare same brands and models... every brand of boat is so much differnt than another brand, with the few exceptions that the same boat was produced by two different companies, for marketing, buyout, or whatever other reasons it happens.
so when you start trying to compare, you will get more negative responses than you will positive ones.... because everyone thinks the boat they own right now is the best boat ever.... and the one you are trying to compare isnt like theirs and wont ever be like theirs.
we all love our boat and there is nothing that compares to it:D

ugly isnt all bad.... as far as the prettiness of a boat goes, it wont keep you afloat any better, create any less boat maintenance, be any cheaper to maintain, sail any better or be any more fun... it being pretty may stroke your ego a bit better, but a pretty boat, like a woman;) is almost always going to cost more than an ugly one.... both in purchase and maintenance...

buy a well maintained, and "butt ugly" boat and you will be much happier than you will with a very pretty boat that needs a lot of TLC....:D
Looks aren't everything, but I do draw the line at Bayliner/Buccaneer sailboats. They sail even worse than they look

Sep 12, 2010
S2 8.0c Ninnescah Sailing Association
One of the ugliest sailboats I have seen in a long time, but seems to have great accomodations for its size, and all lines and winches are in easy reach for single handed sailing.
You haven't seen ugly until you've seen my boat... the S2 8.0c!

We look ridiculous sailing on it. Like giants in a small bathtub. But it's my ugly boat and I love it! Ha!

I love the lines of the 9.2c. The aft cabin is great!

Good luck!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Klemsaba, That made me smile. I did a post about the 8.0CC on crusing anarchy awhile back.... I'll repost it below.....
------------------------------------------------------

Although I'm sure we all like to say 'All sailboats at beautiful', like the rest of you I could easily name the one I thought was ugliest. A special combination of gracelessness, unsoundness, and lack of pace.

For me it was the S2 8.0 Center Cockpit. In my mind Center Cockpit boats take a great design eye and enough length to pull off in the best of cases, and the the 8.0 had neither. It was squat, slow, and looked like someone epoxied their bathtub to the top of it. I've only seen it in marinas, floating with cobweb-infested docklines holding her in place, or in yacht brokers yards, sitting glumly in the 'island of lost toys' section.

So I was a bit bemused when I ran across one on the water last weekend. It was looking like perfect weather, and several dozen boats took off downwind for the prime anchorage at Julian Bay. We got there early, picked a prime spot, got on the hook, and made cocktails. Over time a dozen+ boats piled in, and then it slowed. Just before sundown, the S2 poked in and started to look for a spot. Owning to her shoal draft, she motored inside of us and dropped her danforth neatly between us and shore. Her solo skipper waved and we waved back. The next morning she was gone.

Didn't think about her again until last Saturday; same deal. Great weekend and we're all off. But now I notice that little S2 chugging out of Apostle Island Marina and I smile. A glorious spin run again until the top of Madeleine Island where it gets light and all fluky. A much longer sail this time. We finally make it to Julian, get sorted out, and I'll be damned if I don't start looking for the S2, rooting for her. Nothing.

Finally at dusk she come in and again head towards our space in the line. As she goes by, we wave and the skipper waves back. He drops anchor and disappears below, I assume for a well desired rest. I look over the 8.0 afresh. She's still no beauty queen. And she's no greyhound. But she has purpose, and that purpose suits the man who ably sailed her here just fine. I find a sort of beauty in that.

I still have an ugliest sailboat award winner. I don't know what it is. But sure as hell it is no longer the S2 8.0 CC

Nov 24, 2014
You haven't seen ugly until you've seen my boat... the S2 8.0c!

We look ridiculous sailing on it. Like giants in a small bathtub. But it's my ugly boat and I love it! Ha!

I love the lines of the 9.2c. The aft cabin is great!

Good luck!
If looks could kill, that boat would be brought up on Capital Murder Charges.

Sep 12, 2010
S2 8.0c Ninnescah Sailing Association
Klemsaba, That made me smile. I did a post about the 8.0CC on crusing anarchy awhile back.... I'll repost it below.....
------------------------------------------------------

Although I'm sure we all like to say 'All sailboats at beautiful', like the rest of you I could easily name the one I thought was ugliest. A special combination of gracelessness, unsoundness, and lack of pace.
Hahaha! That's a perfect description!

Muttondressedaslamb, see that 9.2C is a beauty queen compared to my boat. Go for it!

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
OK....Quit picking on S2!! Even though the 8.0C looks like it was cut in half.....and for some reason, the smaller ones do tend to get neglected. Hell, my 11.0A was neglected when I bought it it but no issues down below except cracked windows....and I still beat Cat 36s (beer can races)..Ha!

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
And Bill Clinton didn't have a "little black book"
actually they were hand laid and rolled in the lay up ...i know this for fact as i removed the gel coat on my hull and you can /could see the layups and if you look close on the topsides you can see the laps in the layup....no evidence of any chopper gun what so ever and the hull is minimum of 1/2 inch thick...very well built

Nov 24, 2014
actually they were hand laid and rolled in the lay up ...i know this for fact as i removed the gel coat on my hull and you can /could see the layups and if you look close on the topsides you can see the laps in the layup....no evidence of any chopper gun what so ever and the hull is minimum of 1/2 inch thick...very well built
It looks like S2 is getting a positive vote for build quality. There was one complaint about leaking portholes and mold/mildew. For whatever its worth, even some of the best boat builders have cut corners from time to time. For example, Pearson was regarded as making great boats at a reasonable price during its heyday. In comparing the Pearson 26 from the early 70s to it competitors, the Pearson seemed to have heavier duty rigging and fiberglass layup. It did have a few major flaws; an aluminum rudder post that corroded over time, sometimes dropping the rudder blade into Davy Jones' locker, delamination of the cockpit sole, and deterioration of the hull to keel joint, due to rotting plywood. As to the S2, it is easier to repair a leaking porthole than a poor fiberglass layup.

jguyer

Sep 16, 2010
S2 8.5 Milwaukee
I did a lot of reserch before I bought my S2 8.5. One of the main things I was looking for was "Good Bones." I grew up around power boats and have learned how revered Slick Craft were. There is an old Slick Craft sitting in our boat yard that people have offered to buy just because it is a Slick Craft. This boat just happens to be in the slip next to mine. So as the story goes "Slick Craft" signed a non compete that they wound not produce power boats, so they started making sailboats. My Point is this is the same company, same qualty of work, same employees. Laying glass is truely an art. S2 always had experianced people that knew how to make qualty boats! It doesn't make any diference if it is a powerboat or sailboat mold laying glass is laying glass.
By chance I had a very interesting S2 conversation with some here in Milwaukee. I told him that I just bought a sailboat. He asked what boat. I told him an S2 8.5. To my suprise he told my that he worked for S2. He went on and on about he quality of S2s. Yes they were absolutly hand layed. This man had true pride in his voice for the company he worked for. Not someone who used a chop gun to cheeply piece boats together. He also said that S2 outsourced some parts to Harken.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I toured the factory in Holland several times when I was in the area on business trips in the mid eighties. I saw all lay ups being done by hand and they were very proud of the fact that they didn't own a chopper gun. At the time(s), I had just procured my (first) 11.0a as a trade from a 9.2C. They were very interested in any comments I had. I'm currently a retired engineer from a very large airplane co and familiar with production lines of such. What I saw with S2, was a very organized and immaculate line(s). They also had a float tank where every boat was floated before rigging. Having said this, I've never toured any other builder but I'm on my 3rd S2 over the years (with another boat in the mix) so I must like S2s....my only itch is the 11.0a is a few inches short in the waterline compared to other comparable boats. But it still does well.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I don't think many sailboats were or are built using chopper guns. It would be quite obvious from the inside. To me the most telling testament is the relative lack of spider webs in the gel goat under deck fittings from laying it on too thick. Of course that is just a cosmetic defect. To me, relative to other boats you can buy at the same price S2 is good value for dollar. 10-25K will buy you a older Catalina 30 without a tee shaped cockpit, or a Cherubini Hunter 30, or a early 80's Hunter 28.5 or 31. The only Beneteau you will likely find in quantity from that vintage in the same price range and size is a First 28.5. For my money S2 is on par with the quality and performance of all but the later, but the 285 is a fractious boat under sail from what I understand.