Considering a repower

Oct 28, 2013
Catalina 30 1978 #980 Catalina 30 1978 #980 Mission beach, California
John I think you will be happy with the beta 25, as I stated that's what I put in my 1978 Catalina 30 I got a prop from Catalina direct it was a 13 inch 10 pitch three blade. Next time I'm out of the water I'm going to pull the prop and have it pitched down to nine. If you need any help on your installation feel free to ask.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
john, i'm on city island too and have a '91 with an m25xp -23 hp - and have always found the engne more than adequate for any condtions. i'm on the hard at consolidated now but you're welcome to go for a ride any time next season.

Dec 6, 2010
Catalina 30 City Island
John,

I have a 94 C30 with the M25XP with 23 hp and the original two blade prop. I can easily do 6 knots at 2500 rpm.
Thanks Lou, do you happen to know the pitch on that prop? I am so looking forward to doing 6kts!

Dec 6, 2010
Catalina 30 City Island
I re-powered our old C-30 with a Universal M3-20 (18HP). It was more engine than the boat needed.. Even against the strong tides in the rivers here in Maine the M3-20B was more than enough, when it had the right prop. It was totally useless at boobs-on-a-bull with the two blade folding Martec (yes it was correctly sized;)) but once I put a three blade sailor prop on it was like a tank. The prop choice can make or break the boat...

The biggest issue is usually being over propped. If your prop is correct then you should easily be able to drive a C-30 with the M-18 (14HP). Heck our Catalina 36 was easily driven by an M-25 (23HP). The key here is to get the prop right, most boats are either over or under propped on top of tachs being incorrect this leads folks to think they are under powered.

Confirm your prop, tach and engine are in synch before plopping down on a repower...

P.S. If I were to do a re-power today, for my own boat, it would be a Beta... Yanmar, Westerbeke, Universal etc. are all great engines but be prepared to be bent over for the parts pricing.

Beta is not shy to tell you which Kubota equivalent parts work with their engines. A real, breath of fresh air. Stanley at Beta US can not be beat for customer service!! Heck Westerbeke contracts with Mitsubishi that a Mitsubishi dealer can not sell a part to a customer if they know it is going on a Westerbeke.. :doh:Lawyer written contracts with the engine supplier to prevent you from getting reasonable parts prices..!!! Sheesh.....
Prevoiusly this boat was over propped, the rpm in gear was only hitting 2k, when i downed the pitch on the prop i got 3k. The tach may be wrong but still turning the engine at what it said was 2400 i was only getting 3.5kts. At 3k i got 4 Pushing hard, 28-3k the engine had a tendency to run real hot, i would have to back off periodically to keep it from over heating. It has 1500+ hrs and ive not checked the compression. I replaced the shaft and prop last year, shaft was original, prop i believe as well, so that engine had 1500 hours with a lot of prop on it. I imagine this isnt good for the engine. I did already take the plunge... Too many trips cut short looking at the weather, too many days beating to get back home, and most recently running back from a big storm, everyone else just flew past me, i got caught out picking up a mooring in a downpour with crazy wind and lightening.

Dec 6, 2010
Catalina 30 City Island
john, i'm on city island too and have a '91 with an m25xp -23 hp - and have always found the engne more than adequate for any condtions. i'm on the hard at consolidated now but you're welcome to go for a ride any time next season.
Hi mort, i know your boat. Im staying in the water this winter. I typically haul out everyother year to save some cash. Would like to meet up sometime, you were at one of the yacht clubs right? Im going to be sailing till the engine comes sometimes toward the end of november.

Regards, John

Aug 8, 2009
Catalina 30 MkII Forked River, NJ
Thanks Lou, do you happen to know the pitch on that prop? I am so looking forward to doing 6kts![/quote

John, I don't know the pitch but I'm fairly sure it came with the boat originally. Last weekend at wide open throttle it topped out at 3400 rpm on the tach and 7+ knots. It rarely requires more than 2500 rpm to cruise at 6 knots.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
The first thing to check:

are you getting the full 3200 rpms in neutral?