Considering a Beneteau 331

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 18, 2010
Beneteau 311 Cayman Islands
Hi Folks,

I've just sold my Catalina 250 and am getting ready to purchase a bigger boat. I've narrowed my choices (via online browsing & research) to either a Catlaina 320, Catalina 34II, or a Beneteau 331.

These boats seem to have the critical factors we need in common: shallow draft to get back to our dock (need under 4'8"ish), nice swim platform, and decent displacement for a smoother ride.

It's a bit hard to test drive these boats, as there are not any in Cayman, where I live. I'm up in northern Maryland 3rd week of June, and will attempt to find some for sale then, but in the mean time, I would be grateful if anyone could help me answer any of the following questions about the 331:

• A major reason to upgrade from the 250 is that it bounces over the waves in the short chop we have here. Is the 331 able to cut through waves, or does it bounce over the short chop too?
  • Anything over about 18knts and the 250 rounds up, no matter how reefed the sails are (within reason). Is the 331 able to stand up to a blow pretty well... or does it also need a lot of reefing early?
  • I've heard horror stories about centerboard / retractable keels on other boats, but so far nothing negative on the 331 version. As this is a possibility for me (or the wing), anyone have any feedback on them?
  • I read about two 'design' flaws in the early 331s: the keel was too far forward on the wing, thus leaving its boot stripe in the water at the bow, and the anchor roller was too short. Were these issues corrected in later models, or do they remain through the production?
  • Any other feedback on this boat -- I'd love to hear -- it's really got me captivated and I'm like a sponge trying to learn about it!
  • Anybody have any suggestions on how I could get out on one? Since there aren't any here in Cayman, I've even searched Maryland for someone who charters them, but I think the admiral would shoot me if I spent that much just to kick the tires.
Any thoughts on anything above would be really appreciated - it's a lot of fun searching for a new boat, but sometimes it gets a little scary too!

Many thanks,
Mike

Nov 2, 2008
Beneteau 331 Chicago (DuSable)
We've had our 331 for 4 seasons and just love her! Can't say enough on how nice of a boat Beneteau made. We sail on lake Michigan and while its not the ocean it does blow hard at times and it can be a littlr hairy. Our 331 has always been solid. For what it 's worth the 331 has an ocean offshore rating. For the full fin which is what I have. Not that I would do it but it does show nice.

I do have roller main and roller jib of course. Comfortable to spend weekends on.

BTW we moved up from a Catalina 30 we had for 14 great seasons. Also a great boat.

If you fly though Chicago O'hare i'd be happy to give you a spin, if it ever gets warm again! Its about 45 minutes to my boat.

Anyway if you need more info feel free to contact me direct.

Jul 28, 2010
Beneteau 331 Collingwood
I owned two Catalina's before purchasing the 331. (Catalina 25 and 30) We sail on Georgian Bay in Ontario and the water here is very open so I have had the pleasure of sailing in some pretty brutal weather and she handles great. To answer your questions, she handles the chop well, does not round up and sails like a dream. I took a real gamble when I bought it as it was in the winter months and I had never sailed a Beneteau before. This will be our fourth season with her and I am still very happy with the purchase. Other than cosmetic changes, the only significant mechanical change i have made was to add a 3 blade feathering prop and a windlass. I will admit though the anchor roller is too short and I have a pad on the bow to snug the Bruce (25kg) up against when we are on an extended cruise. There are retrofit rollers available, it just hasn't been high on the priority list yet; maybe next winter.
Don't get me wrong, I loved both my Catalinas but you can't go wrong with the 331. If you are planning to cruise and sleep onboard, you will find the boat to be planned out very well and very comfortable. As with the Catalina, replacement parts are available and the gang at Beneteau and this forum are very helpful. Enjoy your search.

Jan 18, 2010
Thank you both very much for your replies. It is so great to hear when people are so satisfied with their boats, especially directly in the areas that are important to me. Great to know you jumped in without sailing a Bene before and still loved it, James - this is very similar to my situation! All good news, this is really helpful to me in my search -- now I just need to find the right boat close enough to sail down here. And thanks for the offer, Craig -- I'll send you an email if I get up to Chicago this year! Kind regards, Mike

Apr 30, 2010
beneteau 331 victoria
Hi Mike, just going into my second summer of ownership, after searching thousands of makes/models, this was it. Hearoom, sailing performance, sea worthiness all at a great price of 65K usd. I'd be looking at the ex charter boats in BVI. the newer model 343 is listed there. I second the others comments on bow roller etc. I switched to a campbell sailor prop, which I am now beating at almost 7 knts in 10 knts of wind.

Happy to chat anytime!

Gord
Victoria BC, Canada. (just north of Seattle)

Jan 18, 2010
All great news Gord - keeping my interest in this model really high.

I took a long hard look at those ex-charter 343s out of the BVI. Drooled a while - as the price is hard to beat, and they are a shorter sail down to Cayman. But, the 343's keel is just a little to deep for me. Crazy, I know, but that extra 1/2 foot would likely mean the difference between a making it back to my dock and sleeping on the wrong side of the sandbar on a few nights! So - I'll stick with the 331, which from the photos and info I've seen around the net seems to really fit my needs well.

Kind regards,

Mike

Jul 28, 2010
Beneteau 331 Collingwood
Mike
When I was on the hunt, I started out looking at the 343. A Beneteau dealer in another province who had nothing to gain in selling me a boat was the one who suggested I look for a good 331, his reasoning - it is a much better designed, better sailing boat than the 343.

Good luck.

Jamie

Cwoody

Aug 10, 2010
Beneteau 37 Galesville, MD
Hey Mike,
We bought an 02 331 last fall and are very happy with her looks and performance, inside and out. Not sure of my schedule, but drop me a line when you get into the area. We are keeping here in Galesville MD, just south of Annapolis. Be glad to let you have a closer look. BTY....Here is the name of a great broker we used while looking for boats last summer. Dave Townley 410.271.5225 Very helpful and knowledgeable.
Good luck

Jan 18, 2010
Sounds great Chuck, thank you very much. I'm in home (MD) starting next weekend - I'll send you a PM to see if you're around - I'd love to see her!

Bum

Mar 18, 2008
Beneteau 331 w/swing keel New Gretna, NJ, Bass River
Hello Mike, We moved up from a Catalina 270 which we had for six seasons. Great Boat. We bought our 331 w/swing keel, new in 2004. We have been down the ICW from NJ to the Keys and Bahamas twice with it so far. We are very happy with the boat and the way it handles. My wife does a blog on our travels, if you go onto the blog, you will have to backtrack past a couple of trips with our little camper to find our sailing adventure. www.bumsrest331.blogspot.com If you are ever up in NJ, let me know, we are close to Atlantic City. Bum

Jan 18, 2010
Hello Mike, We moved up from a Catalina 270 which we had for six seasons. Great Boat. We bought our 331 w/swing keel, new in 2004. We have been down the ICW from NJ to the Keys and Bahamas twice with it so far. We are very happy with the boat and the way it handles. My wife does a blog on our travels, if you go onto the blog, you will have to backtrack past a couple of trips with our little camper to find our sailing adventure. www.bumsrest331.blogspot.com If you are ever up in NJ, let me know, we are close to Atlantic City. Bum
Sounds like you were in a very similar place moving up from the 270 - great to hear that you are happy with it - it means a lot to me coming from a former Catalina owner.

I was fortunate to have a chance to meet up with Chuck earlier this week and see his 331, and am going to Annapolis to see a few C320s and a 331 tomorrow. Looking forward to narrowing my decision a bit more.

Thanks for the link to your blog. I love reading stories about these boats. And by the way, any boat that makes a dog (an aptly named one at that!) as comfortable as yours looks, must be a great one!

Kind regards,

Mike

Jan 18, 2010
No - turned out to be an older model 320. Wasn't very nice. I did see a great example of a 331 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.