Considering a 1980 Mac 25...

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jack Kelly

Recently I looked at a 1980 MacGregor 25. It's on a trailer (Trailer is in fair to good cond.) The elderly owner gave the boat to his daughter, he drilled 4 holes in the bottom of the hull for drainage- need filling. Two holes were punched high on the transom - caught the swim ladder on something? - needs repair.The rest of the hull looks good - just needs a good cleaning and wax. No motor. Main and jib are in good cond. All rigging is intact. Interior looks good - all original cushions in good shape. Pretty good amount of misc. gear with it. Original asking price was $3,200 - could probably buy it for $1,800 - any advice?

D

Dean Smith

Buy it

The 25 was a classic. I'd certainly buy it for $1,800. That could be a nice fixer-upper.

J

Jack Kelly

Thank you Dean...

Thanks Dean for your response - I know there could be many pitfalls with this boat but I agree - at that price, I could afford to put some dough into it - I think it would be fun bringing it back. We currently have a 1989 Catalina 14.2 which we race. I have had bystanders come up to me and ask if it's new... It was a mess when we bought it - just filthy... When I look at it I feel pretty proud! Jack.

T

Tom Radachi

Sounds good to me

Jack... My wife and I bought an '81 last May and paid 3,600. She came with jib, main, 3.3horse tohatsu, no cushions either. We got to inspect her in and out and sail her before making our decision. Trailer looked ok, but upon having it checked out, we put another $600 into it as the surge breaks and some wiring needed work along with bearings. We bought a portapotti and just love the boat. Have not yet weekended, but don't see that as a problem. Look it over close, but hell, for $1,800 bucks, a decent Mac with trailer...I don't think you can go wrong! Enjoy, Tom Radachi '81Mac 25 TomKat Omaha, Nebraska

P

PAT BURNIGHT

GOOD FOUNDATION

I DON'T THINK YOU CAN GO WRONG WITH A MAC 25, MY WIFE AND I BOUGHT A 1981 MODEL A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO FOR 2000.00 AND HAVE BEEN HAVING A BALL! THE 25 IS A VERY SOLID BOAT AND FOR A BEGINNER IS AN EASY BOAT TO SAIL AND TENDS TO HEEL A LOT LESS THAN THE WATER-BALLASTED BOATS WHICH OUR FRIENDS NEW TO SAILING APPRECIATE.

Status
Not open for further replies.