Connecting bilge areas

May 7, 2024
Hunter 23 Ipswich MA
I picked up an H23 for cheap money last fall. Over the winter some water got into the boat. I intend to find the leaks but my question is about water not passing to the lowest point in the boat and collecting in the several separate bilge areas. The 3 lowest bilges (keel attachment area) in the floor in the main cabin appear to be connected by small weep holes but it appears that water collecting in areas in the v-berth and under the settees does not make it into the bilge at the keel? Any suggestions about connecting the many different holds so that water can flow to the lowest point?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I'd check to see how the boat was blocked over the winter. It may have been at an angle that doesn't let the water from those compartments flow to the bilge area where it would get pumped out. If that is the case, then next winter check your levels when blocking. If that's not the case, then see about how it can be accomplished.

dj

May 7, 2024
Hunter 23 Ipswich MA
When storing, I typically make sure the waterline is level and it is but this boat doesn't appear to have a contiguous bilge and no automatic bilge pump. I'm considering drilling a few additional inconspicuous small weep holes in non structural areas to allow trapped water to find the lowest point.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
When storing, I typically make sure the waterline is level and it is but this boat doesn't appear to have a contiguous bilge and no automatic bilge pump. I'm considering drilling a few additional inconspicuous small weep holes in non structural areas to allow trapped water to find the lowest point.
You may well need to figure out how to get everything draining correctly.

One thing I will share is when I block my boat, I do not use the water line. I use water on the decks to establish fore/aft, starboard/port balance.

dj

• Helpful

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the SBO forums..
Congrats on finding your boat at a discount.:biggrin:
Boats are built to meet the market price expected. Sometimes this means their design may miss a thing or two. The rationale owners use to drill holes in a boat. I am improving it. :yikes:

Many modern hulls from builders like Hunter often use an internal pan to provide structure in the boat. Beneath the pan sits an air pocket, then the hull. It is possible (I have not seen the specifics for your boat) than the lack of a weep hole was intended. To meet the floating requirement of the CG, the lack of a weep hole may be serving to trap air under the pan so that the bow floats even when the boat is filled with water.

Check all possibilities out before you dive into the boat with a drill and a saw.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Seems to me that you should verify the easiest weep hole to test with a half quart of water and go from there.

May 7, 2024
Hunter 23 Ipswich MA
jssailem - I will definitely check out what you've referenced about a pan. I does appear that the lowest bilges are connected by weep holes that go into an empty space beneath the floor.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Easier to get a wet vac and get the water out. Find and correct the leaks to avoid a recurrence once you dry the different compartments. Someone told me those weep holes are just there to vent the underneath of the sole liner.

• Helpful