Congrats Christoper - Sailor - Adventurer

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
1571060083119.png

Finding land after at 3 month voyage. Makes my coastal sailing seem insignificant.

Oh well a sailor is a sailor.. We get a day off to celebrate. Hope you all get a chance to board your boat and attempt your own reenactment.

Fair winds.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Despite his wrong assumption - that the earth was smaller than the scholars of the time thought (Almost no one thought it was flat), he was a master at ded reconning. He had many other shortcomings, the lack of ability to manage people being maybe his worst. He was a master at navigation but had his position off by 10,000 miles or so. Ironic? I don't think he ever gave up the notion that Asia was just another few Islands away. He did view the Pacific from Panama. Despite shortcomings I celebrate Columbus day as the birth of the Age of Exploration and one of the most significant events in human history. Not to mention the adventure and drama of that time.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
The book you linked is based on the original public domain book. People interested in this type of stuff can download old logs/diarys from Columbus, Shackleton etc.
Just go to the original public domain book source... www.projectgutenberg.org.

Besides the originals,Filson Young is one example of an author who did an English series on Columbus

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I wonder how many people know that Columbus and crew were marooned on, I think, Jamaica for nearly two years when their cheap Caravel basically sank. There was then a battle between insurgents in the crew and the "Officers" a la Treasure Island. They escaped in a crude boat which they paddled to Hispaniola and had it not been for the Taino natives they surely would have perished. Or that Columbus's second voyage was a flotilla of around thirty vessels as the return of his first voyage released a tidal wave of interest in going to the "Orient" to bring home riches. Or that the voyages were basically 3 weeks from the well known and settled Azores, Canary Islands, or the Cape Verde Islands. Three weeks to get to the New World! I think it is amazing. There is a lot of history there.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
So you are generalizing that all the indigenous people did this.
Not that we were any better. Think Spanish Inquisition, the Crusades and modern day Jihad. It's all murder in the name of god. I somehow doubt He/She/It is very pleased with us.

Oct 11, 2019
Macgregor 26D Trailer
So you are generalizing that all the indigenous people did this. That is so awesome of you! You are an amazing person and everyone should follow your lead. Rock on man!!!
Well, as a tribal member (Lakota Sioux, born on pine ridge...) from my understanding of history we weren't so much the sacrifice a virgin type... preferred to make our enemies bleed. But I'm sure whatever tribe you descended from was pure as the driven snow...

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Well, as a tribal member (Lakota Sioux, born on pine ridge...) from my understanding of history we weren't so much the sacrifice a virgin type... preferred to make our enemies bleed. But I'm sure whatever tribe you descended from was pure as the driven snow...
I believe you missed the sarcasm....... :rolleyes:

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
And I believe we should let sleeping dogs lie. What CC did as a sailor was remarkable given the era. The science of his time is liken to sending a maned mission to mars now. We all know the universe is flat, and the universe rotates around the Milky Way galaxy.

So, let's keep the discussion to CC's navigational skills, shall we? Otherwise if we stay on the current course, we will fall off the flat earth, if you get what I mean.