CONFIRMATION PLEASE

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
I am assuming that due to the mast being keel stepped that water will always enter into the bilge, due to the mast being hollow and the mast top having an opening to hold four halyards sheeves, therefore letting rain through. Just want a confirmation on my suspicions. Thanks.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Some masts are closed on top. Yours evidently isn't so yes water gets in. Water also can get in at the partners. There are sealing techniques but any of them can leak.
Google Spartite to get an array of products to use to align and seal the mast opening in the deck while the mast is stepped.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
The top of my mast is closed (Isomat), I would supsect yours is too. I don't have any water come in through my keel stepped mast (DIY EPDM mast boot).

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
The water in the bilge is due to capillary action of running rigging that enters the mast. After a rain the wet lines drip water down inside the mast. Unfortunately it can not be stopped.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
The bilge will also collect water from the stuffing box and condensate from the: hull, icebox, heat exchanger and water tanks.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I am assuming that due to the mast being keel stepped that water will always enter into the bilge, due to the mast being hollow and the mast top having an opening to hold four halyards sheeves, therefore letting rain through. Just want a confirmation on my suspicions. Thanks.
That's what happens on my 31. Bilge is always dry except after a rain. It doesn't leak at the partners (e.g. no water comes in when it is sprayed with hose) no water from sink drain, stuffing box, condensation or elsewhere. It is an isomat mast.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
I always had a little water that managed to find its way into the bilge after a rain storm. Little means less than ¼". I always act as soon as possible to vacuum or sponge it out. The pic below was taken during my 2018 bi-annual clean and polish of the keel bolts.

2018-11-16 13.40.15.jpg

This past spring (May 2023), I replaced all the through hulls with stainless and replaced the cockpit scuppers with Marelon. All the through hulls were bedded in 3M 4200. It seems that the water was getting in to the bilge through the sealant around the cockpit scuppers.

Ever since replacing and re-sealing the scuppers (this season anyway), no more water.
20230518_140408.jpg
20230518_140420.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Keel stepped masts almost always leak to some extent. One of the variables is the kind of rain, hard driving rains on out boat will cause leaks, light misting rains much less to no water entering.

Sealing the gap between the mast and the partners is also an issue. We sometimes get water running down the sail track. Waterboot makes a functional boot custom fitted to your mast an partners.