Condensed for your inconvenience

Gene S

Nov 29, 2015
Delphia 37 Tacoma
you can use a dehumidifier to remove the moisture from the air (when you have a power source) but without positive ventilation, smells will still build up AND any mold/mildew spores that may get a start, will stay trapped in the boat to multiply at will wherever they land in a crack or crevice where the moisture may be high enough for the spores to live...

a boat without adequate ventilation will always have a smell, and this smell will eventually permeate the upholstery, clothing, woodwork, books and any other porous surface or item. positive ventilation will keep the air changed out and much fresher, and in time the undesirable boat smell from all the porous surfaces will begin to lessen also.
Ok, I can do that. I leave a couple of ports cracked and there is a vent in the companion way hatch that I might be able to fit a muffin fan to. I like projects like that.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I don't want to pay for electricity at the yard where the Endeavour is when we aren't there .....

.... so made hatch covers for the three cabin hatches. The boat is in Florida and so far after about 6 years of doing this no mold in the boat with the ventilation they provide.

More on .....

...... how they were built here ......

http://1fatgmc.com/boat/end-1/endeavour-outside-mods/page-3.html

Sumner
============================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
@Sumner - I wish I had even 1% of your creativity, and your vision for fabricating things. I really enjoy seeing your projects, and am grateful you share them in such detail. Thanks a bunch. I do intend to steal your dinghy towing arrangement at some point.

Mar 21, 2016
Hunter MH40 Apollo Beach, FL
We hang up a couple of DampRid absorbers and keep a couple containers of Kanberra Gel (tea tree oil) below to help control mold and mildew. We are on Tampa Bay with a lot of humidity and these seem to help.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
A big Maytag dehumidifier I got at a yard sale. Even in S Florida it will get it down to 40% in less than 24 hours after sailing. I tried it the first day using the built in condensation tank, and it filled the tank and shut itself off in less than an hour. So I bypassed the tank with a hose to the galley sink. It drips gallons of water via the hose into the sink after each sail.
Dehumidifier.jpg

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
For dealing with condensation in contact with fabric (under mattresses and cushions especially) consider Den-Dry. Similar to Hypervent, but a little stronger, and ships free from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Ravenwolf-Marine-Den-Dry-Mattress-Underlay-Queen/dp/B07BHJRDDG
Along the same lines...We were having problems with condensation under the V-Berth mattress during the colder months at the boat yard working on the boat. When we left we would stack the mattress sections up off the platform so no problem then or during the warmer months.

We decided to order perforated tiles and give that a try and that seems to of taken care of the problem.

It was pretty easy to cutout openings for access to the compartments under the V-Berth with the tiles. A little more info here .....
http://1fatgmc.com/boat/end-1/endeavour-interior-mods/page-26.html

Sumner
==============================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Ok, I can do that. I leave a couple of ports cracked and there is a vent in the companion way hatch that I might be able to fit a muffin fan to. I like projects like that.
One of the things I did to create ventilation was to install a "bathroom" fan (2 photos below).... I installed a Vetus mushroom vent (so that I could close it completely), covered it on the outside with a screened cowl vent to prevent rain and spray from entering.... then I built a small fan box to cover it on the inside of the boat..... a 4" push-pull (reversible) moves a lot of air in a hurry... sometimes you want to vent out, and at other times its nice to have some cool air forced into the boat.
when the fan is not on, but the breeze is blowing, it acts like a dorade vent.
20141012_164930.jpg
20141011_124641.jpg