condensation dripping

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

I just spent 5 wonderful days and nights on my mew-to-me 1971 Morgan 35ft sailboat... the only bad thing that happened was I ended up with a wet mattress in the V-berth from condensation build up on the inside of the V-berth hatch one night when it turned really cool from a storm that blew through.... is there anyway to stop this from happening ?

I am open to any ideas that will work... thanks

sincerely
Jess

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Jess,

Was the door to the V berth open?

When it gets cold the condensation can form from simply your breathing.

You could also try putting some insulation on the inside of the hatch when you hit the hay.

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

I do not have a door on my V-berth... it is open to the rest of the cabin... I plan to install a curtain to close off the V-berth for privacy... the hatch was closed and locked because of the storm... It was warm that day, then the storm rolled through and a cold front followed the storm... the temp dropped in a hurry... I was kind of thinking of a liner fastened in place to the hatch like an inner cover, or even a liner attached to the inside of the opening below the hatch... but like I said, I am open to any idea that will help...

sincerely
Jess

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I think improved ventilation might help the condensation issue.

May 6, 2012
Hunter 28.5 Jordan, ON
I agree with Joe, it sounds like a ventilation issue.

A cover inside will just make things messy. I would install a Nicro vent (or two) and/or leave the a hatch open with a canopy over it.

A slipmate of mine has a canopy that he made using sailrite instructions, and it works great.

Mar 17, 2014
Clipper Marine CM26 Middle River, MD
Hatch problem

We had a similar problem on our RV where the differential between inside and outside temps caused our roof hatches to 'rain' on us. They make an insulated hatch liner that fits inside the hatch and attaches with some Velcro tabs.
We experienced the same problem you had on our CM26 and I fashioned a similar liner using some roll insulation available from my local Home Depot. It comes in a roll and looks like silver bubble wrap. It's light weight and the Velcro tape we used works well.
I also replaced the worn gasket to seal the hatch to stop air infiltration. We haven't had a problem since!!

garyg

Oct 14, 2005
Morgan 33 annapolis, md
ventilation

I noticed the photos of your boat and on the foredeck is a circular shape which is where you could mount a low profile Cowl Vent. In my 1970 Morgan 33 this vent is above the anchor line storage in the forepeak. Initially on the 1970 Morgan the forepeak storage area had an opening in the bulkhead to the "V" berths, very unappealing, so I fabricated a vented teak finish panel (which is now replaced with an A/C unit).

Fitting a cowl vent on that fore deck location would help in ventilation.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Cut a piece of sponge 2 to 4" thick to the inner shape of the hatch coaming with it being a little on the large size. Push it up into place and no more dripping! I use a plastic garbage bag to seal the sponge inside so it won't get mildew. Its also pretty! Your wife will love it! ha
Chief

garyg

Oct 14, 2005
Morgan 33 annapolis, md
trainmanjess, does the forward cabin on your 1971 Morgan 35 have a bulkhead with an opening for access into the anchor line storage?

Dec 7, 2012
hello

yes, I have the opening between the V-berth and the anchor locker.... there is a door on it...

sincerely
Jess