Computors on Boats

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Phillip

I own a C-30 and I plan on putting a lap top on board for charting purposes. My question is does anyone have any experance in how well computors hold up on boats in saltwater.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

"Marinized"

I've seen specially treated laptops that have been "marinized". My understanding is that it means they stablized the interior workings so harsh jolts (not being thrown across the cabin!) won't disrupt it as easily, and that it can withstand saltwater better. BUT you're paying close to a grand more for that special treatment. In my way of thinking, I'd buy a not-the-top-of-the-line model for my boat, knowing that in the 3-4 years it takes to destroy it, it'd be time for a newer model anyway! If you do get one, either keep it away from that companionway or find/make some special protective watertight cover/bag so it's less likely to get wet. BTW, paper charts are cheaper! ;-) LaDonna

B

Bob Robeson

Laptops on boats

We use a Compaq laptop on our boat. We do not do anything special, I use it at our nav station, and are carefull not to get it wet, and we take it home after we leave the boat. We have used it for 2 years so far and it is still working great. Good luck and have fun. Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.