Compression Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Unfortunately, it looks like the beginning, Bub. Mine did not show cracks in the beam bottom, but I could see the beam bottom was depressed. There were cracks on the forward side where the front trim board started taking the load. I think the crack and deformation pattern depends who was handling the saw for the internal wood that the post bears on, inside the beam.. I think that they cut the wood differently on different days.. It is a pretty big job to even inspect, so ya want to consider and look carefully.. On mine, the front wood had turned to mush but there was still good stuff under the back side.

Attachments

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Sorry but Kloudie is right. Sooner than later you better address the situation. Here's how I did mine. Long and tedious but not overly expensive if you do all the work yourself and you have access to a friendly machine shop to do the stainless and aluminum parts. Good luck and don't hesitate to come back with questions.

Attachments

May 7, 2011
Hunter 34 Long Beach, MS
Looks like I'm up next for a compression beam/post replacement. Mine looks worse than those pics with the glass deformed fore and aft. The bottom is also deforming.

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
Hey Bub...

Here's a pix of the same area Kloudie showed. Mine has had the same cracks, without change, since I bought the boat in 2004. The Claudes are correct, though, that it is the earliest of warnings that all is not right.

In as much as mine has not changed or shown signs of water penetration, I am still keeping my fingers crossed while maintaining a watchful eye.

P.S.:
On closer exam of you pix, it appears that the cracks are also on the main cabin side of the compression post. This is much more significant.

Attachments

Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
Sorry but Kloudie is right. Sooner than later you better address the situation. Here's how I did mine. Long and tedious but not overly expensive if you do all the work yourself and you have access to a friendly machine shop to do the stainless and aluminum parts. Good luck and don't hesitate to come back with questions.
Wow Claude A. great write up! Question before I dive into this should I look for other signs around the foot of the mast area or other indications of this failure? Will the deck under the mast start to cave in sorta, cracks around etc...

Thanks for everyones input ..

Bub

Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
Here's a pix of the same area Kloudie showed. Mine has had the same cracks, without change, since I bought the boat in 2004. The Claudes are correct, though, that it is the earliest of warnings that all is not right.

In as much as mine has not changed or shown signs of water penetration, I am still keeping my fingers crossed while maintaining a watchful eye.

P.S.:
On closer exam of you pix, it appears that the cracks are also on the main cabin side of the compression post. This is much more significant.
Thanks Dan for your input, after looking at your picture and then comparing it to the same side of the post I show no cracking or deforming in that same area. I'll take some more pictures when I return to the boat.
Thanks again,

Bub

Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
Unfortunately, it looks like the beginning, Bub. Mine did not show cracks in the beam bottom, but I could see the beam bottom was depressed. There were cracks on the forward side where the front trim board started taking the load. I think the crack and deformation pattern depends who was handling the saw for the internal wood that the post bears on, inside the beam.. I think that they cut the wood differently on different days.. It is a pretty big job to even inspect, so ya want to consider and look carefully.. On mine, the front wood had turned to mush but there was still good stuff under the back side.
Claude how did you repair the post without removing the mast? Anyway I was out by your marina the other day and saw your boat was gone and all the slips were removed. Are they rebuilding that area? I would use your boat for reference since it was close to me. Now I can't find it.

Bub

Nov 6, 2006
Hey, Bub.. I am in Oak Harbor (Anchorage Marina) in Slidell while they re-furb our slips in Mandeville. Wife, Susan, and I were out Friday and today.. Just now back in Baton Rouge.. I will probably be back there next week .. I can give you a shout .. Basically, I loosened all the stays/shrouds.. took out the holding tank settee.. removed the door trim from the post.. Jacked the deck up a smidge.. (2X6 about a foot long to spread the load, 4X4 .. little bottle jack.. the post popped right out. used a vibrating multitool to cut the bottom of the beam out the same size as the post.. got in there and removed the rotted wood .. machined a big block of aluminum to exactly fit the hole and tall enough to reach from under the deck to where the top of the pole is going to be.. (I made a balsa wood model to get the correct shape) then used thickened epoxy to glue the aluminum block in place, using 2X4 and a jack to press everything together..
I have a bunch of pictures that show the progress.. Best would be to remove the mast so you could re-bed the mast step, but I didn't want to do that ..

Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
Thanks Claude, I would like to see the pictures. Our boat is also at oak harbor marina
.Been there since February.

Nov 6, 2006
hey.. Great.. I am on the southernmost pier.. south side, 4th from end..

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
Are compression post issues on '87 models? I do not see cracks or deformation, but will sail the boat for the first time next month and look for problems there.

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
Splax...

The compression post issue seems to be common to the '84 and later models. The '83's had a different mast base, which seems to be one of the reasons it isn't as common an issue with the first year boats with the large mast step.

From observation of this forum, the primary cause of water getting to the cross-beam/compression post would appear to be the shortness of the tube carrying the mast wiring through the deck and production issues relating to it.

By '87 Hunter may have made a production line correction of the cause for this (fired the dummy, etc.) as I don't recall hearing of many complaints among '87 owners. This is MHO and conjecture as to cause.

May 21, 2004
Hunter 31_83-87 Milwaukee South Shore Yacht Club
We replaced the compression post in our 1987 Hunter 31 last year. We used an Ironwood post, hard as steel, no rot. Also did it with mast up.

Status
Not open for further replies.