Composite fiberglass propane bottle.

Jan 11, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 473 Clipper London
My Beneteau 473 came with Camping Gas bottles. I bought 10lbs composite fiberglass bottles. They fit in the gas lazarette. The diameter of the bottle is 9in. I need to replace them but I can only find composite bottles 12in. And 12in will not fit. I checked all across the internet and no go. Does anyone have suggestions. Thank you so much

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
They make steel ones for 11 lb. that are 9.1 in. dia. I use 20lb. Steel ones that I paint with “blue steel” and bilge coat every couple of years. Ends up cheaper here.

Jan 11, 2017
They make steel ones for 11 lb. that are 9.1 in. dia. I use 20lb. Steel ones that I paint with “blue steel” and bilge coat every couple of years. Ends up cheaper here.
Do you have a contact? What company? Thank you. Cheers

colemj

Jul 13, 2004
Dolphin Catamaran Dolphin 460 Mystic, CT
The one you bought was probably made by Lite, and these were the ones recalled several years ago. They are no longer made. Viking makes a 11lb composite one, but it is larger diameter.

Mark

Jan 11, 2017
The one you bought was probably made by Lite, and these were the ones recalled several years ago. They are no longer made. Viking makes a 11lb composite one, but it is larger diameter.

Mark
Yes, mine were made by Lite.I know about the recall. I still use them but I can refill them only outside the US (My boat is in Mex right now but in 2019 we finished our circumnavigation, lasted 9 yrs and we refilled tem everywhere) Never had a problem.

Jan 11, 2017
Mar 24, 2012
O'Day 40 BC Coast
Have you tried the aluminium tanks?
They are just a bit over 10 inches in diameter and a lot nicer to use than steel.

Jan 11, 2017
Have you tried the aluminium tanks?
They are just a bit over 10 inches in diameter and a lot nicer to use than steel.
Thank you. Not sure they will fit. Next time I go to my boat I will check.

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
I wanted to go composite last year, but searched high and low, and couldn't find one that fit (on our Beneteau 373) and ended up going with 10-pound aluminum. They're pricier... but rust-free and maintenance-free. I know it fits on our 2004 373, but don't know for sure that the 473 has the same size propane locker.

The one we bought was this: Amazon.com: Worthington 299889 10-Pound Aluminum Propane Cylinder With Type 1 With Overflow Prevention Device Valve: Garden & Outdoor

but it looks like that's not available right now... probably other similar ones out there for sale though. Good luck!

Jan 11, 2017
I wanted to go composite last year, but searched high and low, and couldn't find one that fit (on our Beneteau 373) and ended up going with 10-pound aluminum. They're pricier... but rust-free and maintenance-free. I know it fits on our 2004 373, but don't know for sure that the 473 has the same size propane locker.

The one we bought was this: Amazon.com: Worthington 299889 10-Pound Aluminum Propane Cylinder With Type 1 With Overflow Prevention Device Valve: Garden & Outdoor

but it looks like that's not available right now... probably other similar ones out there for sale though. Good luck!
Thank you. It seems the fiberglass are not available in the size I need for my boat. Now it is between steel or aluminum.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Go aluminum, the steel ones make a mess of the propane locker