Complete New to sailing need help

Aug 29, 2021
Pearson 26 Gardners Basin
I am completely new to sailing i have a pearson 26 foot with a 4ft draft. Just need help and what to start thinking about and preparing for. I bought the boat and will be getting it within the coming weeks.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the forum.
Perhaps swimming lessons and a life vest are needed early in this adventure.
Certainly some time to get on the boat. pull all the lines, push all the buttons start and stop the various systems. Each will likely generate questions.

If, as you say, sailing is a totally new experience, then start using the boat as a power boat. If you bought the boat from a broker, have the broker take you out and show you how the boat is operated.

When you have that conquered enough not to smash other boats in the marina (a costly mistake - boat owners react unkindly to new owners playing bumper boats) then perhaps sailing lessons are in order. Learning in a class what the various sails and lines do is a good way of entry. Having a knowledgeable friend on the docks to share idea may also be a good introduction.

Good luck

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
26 foot boat insurance can be covered under homeowners insurance.
I highly recommend taking sailing lessons ASA or US SAIL accredited school with experienced captain. Learning the language and knowing how to be safe is priceless. It is very easy to get yourself in trouble and loosing your boat.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
I would go for sailing lessons, and if you can't get those try and get rides on other peoples boats. Better to learn from others experience ( accumulated mistakes) than to make them all yourself. Good enthusiasm!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Welcome to SBO and Congratulations on your boat!
I agree with the sailing lessons. Barnegat Bay Sailing School at Cedar Creek on the Barnegat Bay is a good place to start.

Are you a power boater? If not, download a chart plotting app on your smartphone or tablet. Navionics is a popular one. Learn to read the charts. Check out the possible sailing areas near your location, paying attention to water depth.
Unfortunately there does not appear to be many sailing areas near your location, which appears to be just inside Absecon Inlet. (unless there are two Gardner Basins in NJ)
If you don't have power boating and ocean experience and are planning to learn to sail in the ocean, don't.
If you're planning to sail in the back bays, most of them are too shallow.
The closest bay with deep enough water is Great Bay.

As @jssailem said, use your boat as a power boat for a bit and get used to it while you learn about your sail rigging and such.

One of the first things you should do is get towing insurance. BoatUS is the most poplar on the Barnegat Bay. The other one is SeaTow. About $130 per year. Unless you stay in the ocean, you will get stuck.