Compatible with RV Pump-out?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I read the entire article and I have a problem with one bit of it:
"Can sewage be treated onboard instead? Yes, some manufacturers offer Type II treatment systems that clean waste sufficiently to allow its return to host waters. But these are usually large and expensive units and performance can vary. Consider manufacturers’ claims carefully. The new regulations do not certify any such equipment but they do set minimum standards of cleanliness that such systems must meet. This standard – a maximum fecal coliform count per unit of water of 250 per 100 ml – is a challenging one. Remember, though, that regardless of treatment, no discharge is allowed within one mile from shore anywhere. So a holding tank is required in any case."

Apparently that's based only on the maximum bacteria count from a Type I MSD (treatment device) allowed by US marine sanitation laws (1000/100 ml), when the actual bacteria count from all 3 Type I devices made in the US (Raritan ElectroScan and PuraSan and Groco ThermoPure) is <10/100 ml...which is a fraction of the max allowed by Type II (200/100 ml and only required on boats over 66' LOA that install treatment)...so not "challenging" when it comes to meeting the Canadian standard at all...in fact is cleaner than the discharge from any sewage treatment plant, which where all holding tank contents that aren't illegally dumped end up.

I've bookmarked that article--which, btw, is a lot more current than what's in my files and I thank you for posting it!--and may pursue this.

--Peggie

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
@sail sfbay :

Aren't we just talking about an adapter to mate the RV hose to a through hull? I was planning on making that myself, for a couple of bucks in aluminum and an hour on the lathe.
Just a FYI - aluminum and waste is not usually considered a good material combination. Better to use a polymer.

dj

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
@dLj :

Yes, good point. Delrin or PEEK, probably, because of their machining qualities.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
@dLj :

Yes, good point. Delrin or PEEK, probably, because of their machining qualities.
Delrin would work. So would PEEK but it's pricey. Delrin isn't cheap either, but certainly less than PEEK.

dj

Jan 21, 2018
Hunter P42 Ft Lauderdale
Today’s project is replacing the macerator. How lucky am I?

It got me thinking. Then I thought this can’t be a unique idea, so here I am on this thread of like-minded people.

What if I added a T fitting between the macerator and the through-hull? Add a hose to a shore facility and run the macerator with the through-hull closed. How far could it push and what diameter hose would I need? What design considerations would apply because the T is below the waterline?

There are products like this marketed to the RV industry. In fact, I believe some, if not all, use a marine macerator and a garden hose. The problem with this idea in an RV is that the toilet simply gravity feeds to the black tank (i.e. no macerator in the toilet). Then the macerator must be strong enough to vacuum up waste that has not been pre-processed as in a marine toilet. Not a problem on the boat.

A garden hose to 4” sewage hose fitting is a standard RV part. It’s purpose is to dump gray water (sink & shower), but it will also fit on the ground dump fitting.

Thoughts?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Where would be dumping the effluent being pumped into a hose?

I guess the question is Why?