Compass location

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
Hey everyone, dreaming about summer and I was wondering where your compass is located on your bulkhead? Port, starboard, high, low? At the moment mine is on the low side of my starboard bulkhead, I have a non working knotmeter on the high side of the port bulkhead, I was thinking of putting my compass in place of the knotmeter and buying a cover to close the hole on the starboard bulkhead, what do you guys think?A2990C02-03D8-48FF-8831-4FC18351266C.jpegF1E9D253-B550-43B5-8C78-5CA71BD20F9B.jpeg

I want to remove them anyways to redo the teak base

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
It makes sense. You may want to hold it there to determine if you have any compass interference due to DC wiring passing nearby. On a previous boat, I made my own cover from a dollar store cutting board. It worked great and I could make it any shape I wanted.

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
(Sorry - accidentally hit post...). Patching covers are fairly easy to make and install. Make sure you have no magnetic interference wherever you decide to place it. Let us know what you end up doing and post a picture. We all love before and after pics!

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
On the starboard side with the depth gage. Never use the compass as I only day sail in the Hudson River in fair weather. I can always see land and know it well where I am going. Occasionally use the compass to check that I am on a constant heading.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It's a pet peeve of mine to mount a compass on the cabin bulkhead where most compasses are found. Mostly because it is so uncomfortable to lean against while using the bulkhead for back support lounging in the cockpit. But also because under was someone is usually sitting there blocking the view of it. And if you're crew, being told to move so the skipper can see the compass is annoying and leaves me thinking and sometimes saying "Why don't you move the compass to where it should be..." That location is on the mast for a digital compass with large numbers. Flat mounted in the cockpit is good too. Of course, if you have a binnacle that's were it would be.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
As the owner of a small trailersailer, I have been thinking about that very question too.
I'm not inclined to use the bulkhead for similar reasons stated by shemandr, but mostly, on my Mariner, with her larger cockpit, I think it would be farther away than comfortable to read.

While reading the original post, I was left wondering how hard it would be to mount a digital readout right in the benchseat on both sides? Are they too expensive to consider two? I'm not so much worried about anyone sitting on it while sailing because anywhere I want to sail where I would need a compass, I wouldn't likely have but one other passenger. In a limited sized cockpit, it is an important question. I've even been thinking of mounting one on top of the hatch or even a binnacle. I could hang a small removable cockpit table off of that.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Hey everyone, dreaming about summer and I was wondering where your compass is located on your bulkhead? Port, starboard, high, low? At the moment mine is on the low side of my starboard bulkhead, I have a non working knotmeter on the high side of the port bulkhead, I was thinking of putting my compass in place of the knotmeter and buying a cover to close the hole on the starboard bulkhead, what do you guys think I want to remove them anyways to redo the teak base
Do you sail in areas where you really even NEED a compass?

Fiberglass is so easy to work with why not glass in the holes and start over. a blank slate, so you're free to place things where you want them rather than be dictated by some funky covers.

P1010001 (1).jpg IMG_20191029_164202809.jpg IMG_0033.jpg

as purchased..................in progress.............blank slate

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Charlie and Shemandr have the right idea. Why not center it at the base of the hatchway? People won’t block it as much when they’re sitting in the cockpit (you can ask them to move their feet if you have to, not a big deal) and you and everyone else will be able to lean much more comfortably up against the bulkhead/end of the cabin trunk.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
:) I don't know about the others, but when did my singlehand 32 hours offshore in the Gulf of Mexico it was sure nice :)

Ad I liked having it on BOTH my gulf stream crossings :)

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
I could try center mounting it, it WOULD be the optimal spot, just have to be sure because it's also where my serial number plate is located.
RussC, you did a great job glassing it over, any pointers?

I thought having a compass aboard was mandatory, at least in Canada

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I could try center mounting it, it WOULD be the optimal spot, just have to be sure because it's also where my serial number plate is located.
RussC, you did a great job glassing it over, any pointers?

I thought having a compass aboard was mandatory, at least in Canada
Why? do Canadians have a harder time with directions? :poke::laugh:

Pointers? nothing special on glassing in the holes. it does save some time if you have a piece of scrap fiberglass laying around to cut out to fill the hole with. but not mandatory. from there it's just a matter of filling the voids around the edges and sanding it down. I use rattle can paint to blend in, just on the area ground away. might take trying a few cans to find a good color match, but not that hard.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hey @fred1diver

I have done a lot of fiberglass work over the years. Here are my steps for filling a hole (b.t.w. I'd also recommend this for the through hull valve you showed us for your head on a different thread).

1. First grind the edges of the hole into a flared disk around the hole. Do this on the INSIDE of your boat. In the pic below, the yellow is the bulkhead, the black is your hole and the grey is your ground out flare.

1579042176050.png

2. Next tape some sort of backing plate on the OUTSIDE of the hole. I like to use those plastic sheets that your teachers used to use for overhead projectors because it leaves a very nice smooth finish when it is removed later.

1579045293119.png

3. Cut a series of circular pieces of fiberglass with increasing diameters. The smallest one should be the size of the hole. Each successive circle slightly larger in diameter. Keep cutting rings until the stack will lay flush in the hole and come even with the original bulkhead. Step 3 is the tricky part because cutting the correct number of rings is a bit of trial and error and if you don't get it right your hole will look crappy.

4. Wet all of the circles with epoxy resin and lay them in a stack on a second sheet of overhead projector film so that the smallest circle will be on top. As you stack the circles use a resin squeegee push out the excess resin from the cloth and move the resin off of the plastic sheet.

5. Push the set of circles into the hole and then tape the plastic sheet in place until the resit sets.

6. Wait 24 hours and remove the two plastic sheets. You will now need to do a little bit of light sanding and painting but your hole is now filled and stronger than it was before the hole was cut.