Compass Heeling over 90 degrees

Oct 11, 2012
Catalina 27 Lake Erie
What would cause the compass on my 1978 Catalina 27 to just flop over 90 degrees? We left one weekend and the next weekend we came back and it had done the Costa Condordia thing and is now still floating but at 90 degrees to the level of the fluid. No leaks. Bobs around in the fluid just great but the only time it would indicate properly is if I were sailing straight to the bottom of the lake. Ideas anyone?

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
What would cause the compass on my 1978 Catalina 27 to just flop over 90 degrees? We left one weekend and the next weekend we came back and it had done the Costa Condordia thing and is now still floating but at 90 degrees to the level of the fluid. No leaks. Bobs around in the fluid just great but the only time it would indicate properly is if I were sailing straight to the bottom of the lake. Ideas anyone?
the one on my 25 does the same thing.... and for no apparent reason. and its not because I placed anything near it. ive tried to get it to do it when its normal, and ive tried to get it leveled out when its tilted. and it isnt just the card, but the whole inner support that is inside the globe that lays askew... I can make the card turn, but short of removing it from the bulkhead, i havent figure out how to move the support that the card sits on.
not always, but sometimes it just goes out of whack... and then after a few hours or days i will see its normal again...