comparing catalina and c and c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 13, 2004
NULL NULL Treasure Island, Florida
Hi, any advice when comparing a catalina 27 '86 near mint condition owners are asking 16K vs. 1973 c and c? C and c has new diesel in '98, nice sails. new topside paint looks really sharp. The catalina is very nice, original diesel but very well maintained. the c and c is 15,900 (1973), catalina is 16K. I like the lines of the c and c better and I hear they are fast and sail well. Any advice?

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Sure , I have lots of advise. Ist off what do you

want? are the two boats the same inside? are you going to day sail or cruise? do you plan on cooking when you are on board? Do both boats have a three burner range with oven and broiler? How good is the ice box? How much storage space does each boat have? How much water tankage do they have? what does the ground tackle look like? Has the interior of the boat been well cared for? Do they both comply with current sanitation codes? Are you buying name and prestige or are you buying a functional boat? Is age important to you?

A

Alex

Newer boat

For almost the same price, go with the newer boat. Old boat do need more work and 13 years is a long time. Beauty is only skin deep. All the mechanical stuff, shaft, bearings, stuffing box, engine panel, electrical wiring, instruments, head, tank, pump, stove etc all go to be look at. You didn't say how big is the C&C. Is it significant bigger, thus faster and more roomy, then C27. Also watch out for the "C&C smile"; keel separation. Don't get me wrong. C&C is a very good and fast boat. But 1973 is an old boat.

Jun 13, 2004
NULL NULL Treasure Island, Florida
thanks

Thanks thus far for the advice. I want to mostly daysail, occasional overnite, do some club racing. I'm not much of a cook and don't require a lot of creature comforts in the cabin, the 2 are fairly similar, have some berths to sleep, an enclosed head, the c and c surely has less head room and less elbow room than the catalina which seems quite a bit roomier, but I'll be in the cockpit a lot more than the cabin. The boats are pretty similar in the cabin, (the c and c is mostly redone - new head, new diesel, new electrical panel and wiring within last 6 years) but it is an old boat. The C and C is a 27' MKII. It looks to be very well maintained considering it's age, the keel was taken off and rebolted on within last 3 years. I guess I have heard catalinas are cheaply built boats and even though the '86 is a lot newer, I've heard people say the more quality built boats (which I assume c and c is) will last longer in long run...my common sense is also saying to get the newer boat even if it a "cheaper" boat as long as I maintain it well.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
It has not yet been determined when a fiberglass

boay becomes "OLD". There are many very good and useable boats that are well past the forty year mark. I presume that you have not yet lived much more than half of you expected life so if you follow the trend this will not be the first and last boat that you own. You really can't go wrong with either boat. if you can stan up straight in either boat then the head room is adequate.

W

Warren Milberg

I've owned both

a C&C and a Catalina 27 and (1) think both were great boats; and (2) they were of comparable quality. In your particular case, you are comparing a 1986 to a 1973. If the 1986 Catalina 27 really is in "near mint condition," I would certainly trust your instincts and go with the much newer boat. The '86 Cat 27 is the same boat I had and it was a great boat (which was totaled by Hurricane Isabel in 2003*cry). While C&C made some great boats (I think Tartan is now making some new models), a 1973 is getting a bit long in the tooth. While the hull may still be sound, just about everything else may need replacement or upgrade. I'm not sure what the used boat price ranges are in Florida, but I think the prices being asked for these two boats are a bit on the high side. I paid $14k for my Cat 27 four years ago.... Whatever boat you choose, I suggest that you read Don Casey's excellent "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat," then do your own "mini-survey," and then hire a pro to survey the boat of your choice. good luck with this.

D

Doug

Balsa Core

C&C's are fast boats but you will need new sails to sail it's rating. Biggest problem is that they are balsa core below the water line. Make sure a survayor garrents hull is dry and never hit any think. A boat with a wett hull(wet basa) is not worth much. My choice is the newest solid core boat I could find.

N

Nice N Easy

Used Boats

I know I know. But can't resist, since the broker doesn't seem to be doing anything. I have a 1980 28' S2, that is very well equipped and in good condition, for a lot less money. And I will even deliver. Email me if interested.

T

Ted

Balsa Core

Doug is not correct with his comments about the C&C 27 hull having balsa core below the waterline. It has a solid fiberglass hull. The C&C smile is not a major issue. C&C build many of their boats with a keel stub to get the ballast as low as possible. The connection between the hull stub and lead keel work slightly as the boat is sailed. This will cause the paint and sometimes the caulking to crack at that mating surface causing the famous C&C smile. Snugging the keel bolts will take care of the problem. Many C&C models have a keel bolt under the mast and new owners are usually unaware that they are there and do not tighten that keel bolt. C&C's are great boats and seem to hold their value better than the Catalinas, but like all used boats they should be looked as with a critical eye.

M

Martin Needleman

The Truth Please!

This concerns the disagreemnent about whether or not C&C's have balsa cores below the waterline. I'm thinking of buying a 1981 C&C. Does it have a balsa core below the waterline? Marty

M

Martin Needleman

The Truth Please!

This concerns the disagreemnent about whether or not C&C's have balsa cores below the waterline. I'm thinking of buying a 1981 C&C. Does it have a balsa core below the waterline? Marty

M

Martin Needleman

The Truth Please!

M

Martin Needleman

The Truth Please!

Mar 23, 2008
C&C 35-II Seattle
Balsa core?

C&C made great boats, and even in the landfall series which was balsa cored they didn't just coore everythinbg, but made sure it was solid all around the thruhulls. I would only want to check to see if a owner put a nother hole in an odd place, maybe for a speed instrument? Actually C&C usually has that place all figured out too. Please check out your hulls before warning people about cored boats. Usually if they are thoughtful enought to go to the expense of coring they will do a good job with the fittings. But then I have 2 C&C's, one for sail and am impressed with their good design. . . L.

Mar 23, 2008
C&C 35-II Seattle
81 cored?

Martin, you might want to look at the info at http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/. You didn't say which C&C you were looking at. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.