Companionway Hatch Leak

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
Everytime it rains HARD I get water leaking into the boat from the companionway hatch. Water seems to run under the sliding top. I took the deck cover off once to look for the problem, but did find anything that appeared to be wrong.

Anyone know a "fix"

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Don, perhaps a picture of the water trail and of the hatch might be of assistance in answering your query. Water can get into a boat, like it leaks into your home, in a number of ways. The path is not always what it seems.

Do you have any fittings near the hatch that have not been rebedded in many years? Have you added any new fittings to the boat?

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Everytime it rains HARD I get water leaking into the boat from the companionway hatch. Water seems to run under the sliding top. I took the deck cover off once to look for the problem, but did find anything that appeared to be wrong.

Anyone know a "fix"
Don,
There is a void underneath the slide and reciever for the companionway hatch. I believe there is a drain under there that might be plugged. This would allow th water to fill and back up into the boat. Something you might want to check.

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
Don, mine does the same thing (only during torrential downpours), so I would be interested in hearing what others may have done to correct this as well.

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
you could always make a companionway cover to prevent water from coming in

Jan 12, 2011
Don,
There is a void underneath the slide and reciever for the companionway hatch. I believe there is a drain under there that might be plugged. This would allow th water to fill and back up into the boat. Something you might want to check.
I don't see anything. There are holes in the cover over the hatch and they are open.

Jan 12, 2011
Don, mine does the same thing (only during torrential downpours), so I would be interested in hearing what others may have done to correct this as well.
I wonder if - the problem is the start battery solar panel mounted in the cover. If it rains real hard and leaks along the edges of that the water would end up on top of the companionway hatch and run along the slide frame etc and end up coming out the corners. maybe I will just caulk it and see what happens as I don't see a downside of doing so.

Nov 9, 2004
Hunter Passage 420 Rock Hall, MD
I know when a wash the cockpit and rinse off the hatch I will find water below. I believe it is a result of water flowing over the edge of the hatch that is in the aluminum channel as a result of coefficient of friction.