Companionway hatch boards storage

Sep 24, 2011
Clipper Marine CM 21 Port Huron, MI
Just purchased a 1973 P-30. Trying to determine where the companionway hatch boards stow while underway? There is a small cutout beneath the Port settee cushion, that could hold one board horizontally. Any suggestions for what that indent is for, or how you stow the hatch boards?

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
I have purchased the hatch board pouch that is sold on this site. I am very happy with it. I put the boards in and then stow the pouch in a locker or on a bunk.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
SJ, it depends on the conditions.
  1. If you have a squall coming you want the hatch boards in the companion way with the slider pulled tight stopping the possibility of water washing over the deck and filling the cabin.
  2. If your on a bright peaceful sunny day, pretty much anywhere they are out of the way and not loose/banging about.
On a seat under the cushion is popular spot, also in a cockpit lazarett is a frequent convenient location. Accessible if needed.

Aug 9, 2011
Pearson 30 Chicago
Just aft of the port cushion I installed a 1x1 (dimension your choice) strip of wood longitudinally ,slightly longer than the hatch boards, which allows them to rest against the liner and out of the way. If you use eye bolts instead of plain fasteners then you can use bungee cords with hooks on the end to secure them for rougher weather. PM me if you need a photo.