Companionway Cover Color

Sep 14, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Montross
When I bought my 1993 Hunter 23.5, it didn't come with a companionway cover. I want to order one. The trim color on my sails and other canvas like the sail covers is a dark green. If I get the companionway cover in dark green, I expect it will absorb sun and make the cabin hotter than if I got the cover in white.

Any thoughts on how much of a difference the color will make? My boat already bakes in the sun.

Evan

Jun 1, 2004
Hunter 26 Lake Pueblo Colorado
We have a dark navy blue companionway cover as well as a dark blue Bimini and dodger. It does get hot but not unbearable. When sailing there is always a breeze, so no prob, when anchoring out there is always some breeze so still no problem, when at the dock and it is really hot out 95f+ then we usually put a boom tent out and a deflector that attaches to the forward hatch that directs any breeze through the main cabin etc. If it was me i would get one that matched the color o the rest of my canvas and go sailing. Chris

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
In terms of aesthetics and future resale values, matching canvas color is good. If you have the flexibility to change, a lighter color will be cooler... assuming this canvas is in use when you are on the boat. The downside is that lighter colors are quicker to get dirty, of course.