Compac 16 owner

Apr 5, 2021
Compac Compac 16 Lake Tavis
Just bought this over the weekend. 1984 Compac16. Looks ok overall. Running rigging is usable but needs to be replaced. Otherwise seems to just be dirty. A little give in the seats when I stand on them, but I don't think it's a problem. I did notice the winching point anchor on the bow is loose enough to wiggle. Could this be an issue in the making? Thanks all!

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Congratulations, NotASailor.
I am a fan of the Compac 16. My father owned a modified version that he sailed from Clearwater Fl to Maine. They are great and very serviceable boats.

I did notice the winching point anchor on the bow is loose enough to wiggle. Could this be an issue in the making?
Yes. Pull it and re-bed it. Make sure the backing plate is in good solid shape.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Welcome aboard!
Good sailing boat. A friend of mine sailed his all over the gulf coast..
I agree with Will, pull the winch point and re-bed.

Apr 5, 2021
Congratulations, NotASailor.
I am a fan of the Compac 16. My father owned a modified version that he sailed from Clearwater Fl to Maine. They are great and very serviceable boats.

Yes. Pull it and re-bed it. Make sure the backing plate is in good solid shape.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Yeah, that is my plan at this point. The wood behind it is still good so for this summer i'm just adding a metal plate. When put it up for repainting and a bunch of projects I think i'll replace the old wood with starboard or something like that.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Well.... now that you have a sailboat, you might want to ask the admin. if you can change your username. I suggest simply adding a "K" to the front of the one you already use.:biggrin:

Apr 5, 2021
A little bit of updates. I have repaired the bow eye. The wood was still good so I just added a metal plate and some sealant to it. I have. begun redoing the cabin. I have pulled out all the old carpeting on the walls ect. Mostly in good condition. The benches have rotted quite a bit, must have had a rain leak at some point. Someone in the past has filled the voids with foam so they are still very solid. I decided i think i'm just going to bondo it up and then paint it with sealant.

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Looks good.

An easy way to replace carpet is to use the new carpet tiles they now sell.

You can easily shape them to the contours of your hull by laying a tile agains the hull ... then pinch the tile to take up the "slack" and cut the bulge out with a razor knife. Now you have a contoured piece of carpet tile and can peel off the back and stick it in place.

If you go with a solid color and stash a few extra pieces in the shed... then when you get a stain in one, you can just peel that one out and replace it.

Apr 5, 2021
Looks good.

An easy way to replace carpet is to use the new carpet tiles they now sell.

You can easily shape them to the contours of your hull by laying a tile agains the hull ... then pinch the tile to take up the "slack" and cut the bulge out with a razor knife. Now you have a contoured piece of carpet tile and can peel off the back and stick it in place.

If you go with a solid color and stash a few extra pieces in the shed... then when you get a stain in one, you can just peel that one out and replace it.
I"m not replacing the carpet. I don't like it. I think its just a mold magnet. Sanding everything, spraying with mold killer and then repainting.