Common problems in 1990 30 Ft. ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jcloidt

Hi, I'm considering buying a 1990 30 Ft. I've read the owners reviews and it seems to get good marks. Has any one seen any common maintence or design problems I should look for? Also, any info on how and where the fuel and water tanks are located? Thanks, Joe

May 10, 2006
Hunter 30_88-94 Lake Tahoe
Common probs

Hey Joe! Good luck in your search. I'm sure some of the old salts on this board will chime in with some other probs. I have only owned my 89' H30G since April and have had only had fair winds with mine so far (knock wood). The aluminum holding tank in the locker near the head will be suspect as aluminum is a poor choice of holding tank material as the uric acid is corrosive to it. Mine is fine but my boat has had extremely light usage over the years. I'm sure someone will say "its not if, but when it will fail". The hood 705 line drive is not a reefing unit only a furling unit. Something to consider. Anybody use theirs to reef? Most of the blocks and hardware are Schaefer and not of the greatest quality. The shower and ice box drain into the bilge. Who the hell thought that was a good idea??? Anybody instal a good sump system??? Pictures please....lol. I love the dutchman system...I love how she sails....I love the aft berth (as does the admiral)....I love the simple alcohol stove.....I love the swim step and walk through transom....I love the look and lines....I could not have imagined a better 30' boat. I'm trying to figure out a slick anchor handling system as the bow roller on my boat does not function well and I would like a way to stow the anchor on the bow. Anybody have a good mod to share??? In my very humble opinion, if you get a well cared for example of this boat you will not go wrong. Water tank is under the V-berth and the fuel tank is accessed through the cockpit locker. Tim Sea Dog 1989 H30G Lake Tahoe

Dec 10, 2003
Hunter 30_88-94 Edmonds, WA
Only opportunities...

Shower sump is worthless, we don't use it. Freeze ice in large containers and use a squeeze pump to drain into the sink or install a y valve. Don' let it drain into the bilge. Had mold in the fuel tank, installed a port, drained, cleaned, never had a problem since (five years). Last year suddenly had fresh water in the bilge. Never figured out why. Used a large syringe with epoxy and filled the crack between the hull and toe rail. No leaks since. Banjo fittings on fuel lines leaked, replaced and no more problems. You WILL have a crack at the keel hull joint, and you WILL find rust on the keel. See the archives, but mostly don't worry about it. If the crack is too large, open it with a drimmel tool, fill with 5200, glass over, paint, and fogettaboutit. Relace the aluminum tanks, see Ronco. My fuel tank is in the aft locker. Holding tank was moved from the head locker to under the aft berth (switched with batteries). I may move it back to accomodate a larger, custom tank. We flush with two twelve ounce cups of fresh water to conserve tank space, and flush a small amount of vinegar each night to neutralize uric acid (see Peggy's book). Learn to sail the boat flat (see the archives). The best boat for the buck you will ever find. DRS s/v Synchrony 1990 Hunter G Edmonds, WA (Puget Sound) Review and photos posted

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Vented Loop

The head is below the water line and mine did not have a vented loop - result, if the toilet valve is not in the closed position the head will overflow and could sink the boat. Install a vented loop in the intake line to the head. Other comments provided are all good. A few of us have installed A/C so we can help there if interested.

T

Tim

Veeeerry nice platform, Bob.....

...........Any chance you can post some closer pics or email them to me? T_P_Cobb@yahoo.com Tim

L

Larry Closs

90 Hunter G

I recently bought a 90 Hunter 30G ( the T model has a taller cabin and different topside lines) and I love it. I have found few problems, but I get a little confused about the holding tank placement. My holding tank is made out of plastic and is underneath the helm seat. In my manual it says it is in the head locker. The previous owner who owned it for all but the first few years says that it is where it was put by the factory. So I would not assume holding tank placement until you see the boat. It seems as if one of the biggest complaints about the boat is the aluminum hodling tank but I not sure they all had them. My fuel tank is in the swim lockers.

K

KW Coffin

Good Choice

July 18,2006 Dear Joe, I would like to know if this is your first boat? 1)Find a good broker. Wander around a marina. Talk to Hunter owners of all sizes. We are all very proud of our boats and in all likely hood welcome you aboard and show you around. Show you what we like and what we would like to change. 2)Take a look at the maintenance record. Has the Captain kept up with the regular maintenance ie New impeller q 2 years. What maintenance has to be done immediatly. 3)Get a Marine Surveyor who is familiar with Hunters. 4)Open everything up. 5)Start the Engine.(The Hunter we bought in the fall turned out to have a seized starter in the spring.) 6)When the deal is complete chnage the lock immediatly.(The old owner came back onto the boat and removed items months after the deal was complete.) 7)Look at more than one boat. 8)Moisture in the decks is often a problem. Enjoy the process. Kevin (kwcoffin@hotmail.com)

B

Brucek

Due diligence

I bought my second 30T ('94) after having a 92 for several years....fuel tank is in the starboard cocpit locker..water in the forward cabin... I have installed the Ronco holding tank and waste system. I did NOT sail the boat before purchasing...shame on me....keel bolts were loose and never found until after an expensive bottom job done...and do have your surveyor double check the decks for delam, especially the port side. I found some as have many other owners, mostly due to the thru deck fitting for the jib fuling system This design is a gem and worth any work to keep it in top shape...other experienced sailors continue to remark about the contemporary design. simplicity of systems and very satisfying performance. Go for it!

D

Douglas Dippert

hunter 30

I purchased my 1990 Hunter 30 and I am very pleased with its handling and systems. My boat was well maintained by the previous owner and that makes a big difference on condition. If the previous owner kept up on leaks, maintenance and cleaning your boat should survey well.

T

toddl

prop shaft strut

I've had few problems with mine. I purchased it about three years ago and love it. Incredible family time. As far as mechanical issues go, I've had some problems with the reefing lines tangling in the boom. Pretty problematic to fix. The biggest problem I've run into is that the strut which holds the prop shaft in place snapped at the point where it's attached to the hull. Cost me about $3,300 to fix. The yard that did the work said that the metal looked in the strut looked bad. They said it could have been a bad casting or some form of corrosion. It cost money to fix it and wrecked the last day of a nine day cruise. But I'd still buy the boat again because the value for the dollar and the room for a 30 footer is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.