Comments (Good and Bad) on Beneteau 393

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Everitt

My wife and I are seriously considering the purchase of a new B393. We have compared it to the Hunter and Catalina models (similar price ranges) and the B393 is in the lead. We will be sailing on the Chesapeake Bay with some outside trips north and south from there. I have reviewed all of the archive articles concerning the B393 and I would like to hear some more up-to-date information. I would be very interested in any comments on buying decisions (why you went with the B393 or didn't), problems, shortcomings, recommendations, things you would do different, equipment recommendations, things to watch out for, etc. I would also be interested in any comments about a classic rig vs. furling mast. I prefer the classic rig, but I understand the argument for the ease of the furling mast. Is there anything else I should be considering in this decision. Thank you for your comments. Mike Everitt

M

M.A.

I too am seriously thinking about a B39.3. I have been looking on the net for information regarding this sailboat and can't find anything except for your email. Have you found any information and if so would you forward on to me. Thanks. M.A.

M

Marc

Happy 393 Owner

The bottom line is that I would still buy the 393. I have enjoyed sailing our 393 for the past two seasons throughout the Long Island Sound. I have the furling main sail that has proven to be a pleasure. Whatever speed that I might be losing as compared to the classic main, is more than made up for with the ease of stowing,reefing, etc. I find that I have to reef the main earlier than on other boats that I have owned, or she becomes over-powered quickly. The quality control from the factory was not as good as I had hoped for regarding the assembly of the interior. The selling dealer (Sailing Specialties) and Beneteau USA did work to successfully correct ALL of the issues that I raised. Having 20/20 hindsight I would have spent the extra money and purchased the color version of Raymarine's RL72 Radar/ChartPlotter rather than the monocromatic version that tends to wash out in bright sunlight. I'm very glad that we opted to get the optional Yanmar 56hp engine. The inclusion of the factory installed airconditioning system has added a new pleasant dimension to our time aboard. ( The A/C distribution boxes sweated and I had to insulate them). You can contact me at loonasea1@optonline.net for greater details concerning modificaions/additions that I made.

M

Mike Everitt

Email Address

I have several reviews and articles about the B393. Send me an email address and I will forward them to you. ME

R

Rick

the good, the bad and the ugly

I went to Charleston last November to help a friend outfit and take his new 423 to Florida. Although I was never a Beneteau fan I ended up getting a 393 after crawling around the 423 and a 393 for a couple of weeks during commissioning. I was very impressed with the construction and design of these boats and in the production boat market, where there are really only three players, considered Beneteau the best in the field. The 393 was my choice because of the lay-out (very similar to my present CS36 Merlin). The pullman berth, galley and storage unit on the starboard side were big factors.(two cabin layout). I will be using the boat for cruising between the Chesapeake and Bahamas. The good features for cruising include good storage, sufficient fresh water (131 gals.) and the furling main. I did upgrade to the 56hp Yanmar, altered the stemhead fitting to take a second anchor (one roller is standard) and replaced the two burner stove with a three burner. Beneteau offers a good instrument package but upgrading to a color plotter (Raymarine C80 plotter/radar display) is advisable. If you are going to cruise I would suggest a radar arch which also is used for the dinghy. The electrical system should also be upgraded. An extra house battery, high output alternator and 3 stage regulator, inverter and Link 2000. One drawback is the relatively small (35 gal) fuel tank but I'll end up with extra jerry cans. The helpful staff in Charleston was also a factor. As far as the rigs go, I was not a fan of furling mains but have come around because of the convenience. A loose footed, hollow leech sail will not make much difference when cruising. The boat only comes with 2 halyards (main and genoa) so you should add one or two. In the furling main setup with only two halyards you can't go aloft without dropping the headsail or (if that's all hung up) unfurling and dropping the main. One final personal note, although better looking than the old Beneteau cruising line, at 39 feet the boat is just a tad short too look as pretty as the 423 or 473 :)

S

Susan

and disappointingly sluggish

We found the 393 a bit slow for its length.

B

BILL TRIPP

We sail on Lake Lanier and the boat sails fine. The furling main works great. The 520 chartplotter should have been in color. The bigger engine was a good choice. Beneteau continues to help when we call for advice. We added full sail hardware to the port and upgraded the aft safety lines (so kids can not easily slip under.

C

Carlos

393 a great boat

I have owned and sailed the 393 for 17 months now and am very happy with all aspects of the boat. I own the classic main with lazy jacks. I also opted for the optional spinnaker gear and the larger working winch. The only complaint I have is with the quality of some of the interior fittings, but for the price of the boat there has to be some compromise. With the classic main the boat is fast, responsive and easy to sail. I did not opt for the furling main because I did not feel it was necessary as the lazy jack setup is easy to use. I also opted for the 56HP Yanmar which is a great engine. Overall I rate the boat very highly and all who have sailed on her have praised her. I own the 2 cabin model and find plenty of storage space for cruising. If you are in the market for a 40 footer, I think you would be hard pressed to get better value for money.

B

BILL TRIPP

A 393-2003 is for sale on Lake Lanier in GA. There are a lot of upgrades and very low engine hours on a 58HP version. U can e mail if u want his phone number...

R

Richard Davis

UK Based 393

We have had our two cabin 393 for 13 months now and have been very pleased with her. We sail most of the time two up and have the classic mast - reefing is very easy and there is no danger of the sail jamming in the slot. The boat has proved good in all conditions so far (we cruise between the English S. Coast, the Channel Islands and Brittany)and is very comfortable when in port. We bought the boat after owning Moody's for the last 12years and have no regrets.

N

NH

B 393 a great boat for med

No complaints about our 393. Sailed it for 4 months around the med last year with zero technical problems. Ventilation is great in a hot climate compared to more trad boats. Go for the Yanmar, upgrade the anchor, get at least 1 extra battery, and carry jerry cans for the longer passages (fuel tank wont take you for more than 48hrs). Dual rear cabin version actually has plenty of stowage space.

M

Mike Everitt

Thanks

Thanks to all that replied. We did decide and ordered a new 393. We selected many of the upgrades all of you recommended (bigger engine, heavier winches, etc.) and we stayed with the classic main. Looking forward to getting her and putting her through the paces in the Chesapeake. Bill, I did check out the 393 in Lake Lanier, but decided to go new. Thanks again, Mike Everitt

Status
Not open for further replies.