combi problems

Nov 8, 2003
Hi Antonio,

I had an almost exact thing happen to me, and I lost my forward
movement ablity. As I was about to dig into the repair of my combi I
decided to try something just for kicks.

I pumped up the combi with plenty of grease, ran the engine in
neutral a while and worked it back and forth. Then I pumped more
grease and did the same thing. To make my story short, I had to pump
in almost 3/4 of a large tube of grease into the combi and ran her
all the way forward and aft and BINGO! There was a Bump and I had
full service again. My combi had run dry and was not functioning
properly because of it. I have had no problems since then.

This is very easy to check, and a lot less trouble than tearing into
it. I now check and add a little grease now and then and the combi
has not given me any more trouble.

Robert
SV 2955

Oct 31, 2019
Great tip Robert -

where exactly did you pump the grease into the combi?

Thanks in advance

Ole Marius
#3193 _____

Fra: moondance5003 [mailto:guillory@...]
Sendt: 3. juni 2004 01:35
Til: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Emne: [AlbinVega] combi problemsHi Antonio,

I had an almost exact thing happen to me, and I lost my forward
movement ablity. As I was about to dig into the repair of my combi I
decided to try something just for kicks.

I pumped up the combi with plenty of grease, ran the engine in
neutral a while and worked it back and forth. Then I pumped more
grease and did the same thing. To make my story short, I had to pump
in almost 3/4 of a large tube of grease into the combi and ran her
all the way forward and aft and BINGO! There was a Bump and I had
full service again. My combi had run dry and was not functioning
properly because of it. I have had no problems since then.

This is very easy to check, and a lot less trouble than tearing into
it. I now check and add a little grease now and then and the combi
has not given me any more trouble.

Robert
SV 2955
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

ADVERTISEMENT

http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129420f3f/M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=groups
/S=1705065791:HM/EXP=1086305724/A=2164330/R=0/SIG=11eamf8g4/*http://www.netf
lix.com/Default?mqso=60183350 click here

http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=groups/S=
:HM/A=2164330/rand=515695976

_____

Yahoo! Groups Links* To visit your group on the web, go to:

* To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
AlbinVega-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
mailto:AlbinVega-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe

* Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
Yahoo .

Oct 31, 2019
Hi

I was wondering about the same thing-- Robert must have a
different king of combi-- but if it works.. hurraaaaahhhh!

Wilhelm, V-257

Nov 8, 2003
Ole,

As Ed has mentioned, the grease fitting is just under the gear lever
where the the cable attaches. It can't really be seen but you can
feel it there. The other is on the prop boss.

Happy sailing,
Robert
SV 2955

Jun 12, 2010
Hi! all,
I have several questions about the combi. First of all I am 71 and feel that I have reasonable intelligence, but I am beginning to wonder. I purchased a vega #2417 and was advised that the original combi linkage had rusted beyond use and was hacksawed out and disposed of. The way to shift gears was to lift the cocpit hatch and kick the transmission into gear. I felt I could replace the linkage without much difficulty. The throttle has been replaced with a manual choke type of cable. there is no other linkage. I have tried to imagine the original linkage but am consuming scotch at an alarming rate and still not having sucess with the linkage. I have a daughter who lives in Yarna Sweden and she cannot get much info for me. I understand the theory but cannot imagine the linkage. Does it all work off one cable and how are the forces expanded to three functions (throttle, prop pitch, and transmission shifting). Do I have to install three controls one for throttle, prop pitch, and forward/reverse? I have replaced te fuel system and rewired the entire boat without relying on scotch. I have located an MD 6A that I am going to purchase as soon as it is removed and replaced by electric power. But I need to figure out the combi linkage before then. Can anybody help me with the info to understand the linkage of the combi. I will soon post a letter of my purchase of the boat and my trip from Juneau to Sitka last Sept which extended from 4 to 11 days. This was the first time I had sailed in 50 years and solo. I encounted 65+ winds and 14 ft seas and questioned my sanity for doing the trip solo. My son reminds me that I was born in the first half of the last century and be expected to be anything but senile, but I did it!! Can anybody send me diagrams or a verbal descrption of the missing linkage and how to set it up.

Thanks,
Frank

mphalv

Sep 29, 2001
Wow, congratulations for completing your trip--am looking forward to reading about it!! Good luck with your combi repairs.

Smooth sailing,

Melanie Halvachs
V1826 Double Fantasy

Feb 18, 2011
Hi Frank,

Yes the system works off one cable. This cable is connected to the pitch correction from the propeller. The propeller always turns in the same direction in fact when the motor runs the propeller does turn. In neutral the blades are in line with the rotating direction so no thrust. As soon as you move the lever on the combi the position from de blades will change. So the propeller can be changed from a left-hand to a right-hand prop. It's lever 31 on the drawing. This lever has been mounted on a shaft going through the combi box. on the other end a nicely shaped triangular piece of brass nr 35 has been mounted. This piece of brass does move a lever nr 44 which is connected to the lever on the fuel pump (throttle). As soon as you increase the pitch the motor will get extra fuel and will increase rpm's. When the prop is in neutral the bearing on the lever for the fuel should be in the center of the triangular brass piece ( it is a cone connection on the shaft nr 33). I hope that you understand this story.
Regards Jan van Craaikamp

Mar 26, 2008
Hi, Kevin Woods vega 1039. I've got a gas combi engine - much the same, with some differences. There are some schematics in the files section at the yahoo vega sight that show the transmission. Please let me know if you can't find them, I'll see if I can guide you -but check out the "inventory" of what's available first.

There is no transmission to adjust - only prop feathering, and throttle. it's always going "forward - rotating clockwise looking towards the stern. Speed is set by frequency of rotations (throttle) and pitch of the prop. They are both "classically" to be operated together with a clever cam setup. Mine (control lever) is only connected to the variable pitch on the prop - the throttle cam connector is not functional - it has been disconnected by the previous owner.

I use a lawnmower throttle cable - attractively mounted on the cockpit panel for the throttle, while trying to match the prop pitch with the engine speed and boat speed.

Ultimately, my auditor on how well I'm doing with my juggling act is my temperature guage. Too much heat - too mutch pitch. Cool engine, bu t not enough speed - adjust the prop.

It's a dance!

Kevin

mnhdl

Oct 31, 2019
Hi!

Talking about combi. Does anyone have a picture of the blade in full ahead position? Would 20 degres be an acceptable pitch for full ahead? I've just dismantle mine and I'm not sure how the reassembly it in order to have acceptable forward AND reverse...Two years ago after my first overhall, full ahead was great but reverse was nearly dead...Even with full engine's speed... (hope that my english in understandable..).
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Tahnk you!

Marie
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 03:01:58 +0000
Subject: [AlbinVega] Re: combi problems

Hi, Kevin Woods vega 1039. I've got a gas combi engine - much the same, with some differences. There are some schematics in the files section at the yahoo vega sight that show the transmission. Please let me know if you can't find them, I'll see if I can guide you -but check out the "inventory" of what's available first.

There is no transmission to adjust - only prop feathering, and throttle. it's always going "forward - rotating clockwise looking towards the stern. Speed is set by frequency of rotations (throttle) and pitch of the prop. They are both "classically" to be operated together with a clever cam setup. Mine (control lever) is only connected to the variable pitch on the prop - the throttle cam connector is not functional - it has been disconnected by the previous owner.

I use a lawnmower throttle cable - attractively mounted on the cockpit panel for the throttle, while trying to match the prop pitch with the engine speed and boat speed.

Ultimately, my auditor on how well I'm doing with my juggling act is my temperature guage. Too much heat - too mutch pitch. Cool engine, bu t not enough speed - adjust the prop.

It's a dance!

Kevin

Oct 30, 2019
Hi. There is a mark on the prop boss that should align with a mark on the base of one of the blades. It's better to rig it to neutral than try to figure out a good forward position. I'm not near the boat, or I'd try to get a decent shot of the marks.

Hope that helps.

Jack
Bella - V2620

mnhdl

Oct 31, 2019
Hi Jack,

yes I know, that is the way it was done the last time but my reverse was not powerfull enough so I'm wondering if it is possible to still have the neutral align with the mark but to have a bit more power in full reverse...
If you could get a decent shot of the pitch in full ahead and full reverse, that would help me a lot!
Thank you very much!
MarieTo: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 15:04:39 +0000
Subject: [AlbinVega] Re: combi problems

Hi. There is a mark on the prop boss that should align with a mark on the base of one of the blades. It's better to rig it to neutral than try to figure out a good forward position. I'm not near the boat, or I'd try to get a decent shot of the marks.

Hope that helps.

Jack
Bella - V2620

Oct 17, 2014
Hello Marie,

The angle from the blades in full forward and full backward should be in the
same angle.
If you put the lever in neutral the boat should stay in position so no
forward or backward movement.

Regards Jan

Nov 2, 2008
Hi Marie,
When you will assemble your prop make sure both blades end up in "zero" peech.(hub and blades marks) That's all you need.
Then, when you will connect shaft (with prop on it) to the engine thru combi (reversing mechanism) correctly (adequately tightening both clamp nuts) you will have equal angle of blades turn on both ahead and astern. I'll try to find photo for you tommorow. Take care, Vlad

May 31, 2006
- - Vancouver
Hey Kevin...Glad to hear that the old albin o22 on LYRA is still plugging away. I was able to use pre 1967 VW distributor parts as well as my ingeneous new bracket and alternator ford or gm...cannot remember) to recharge the battery. Hope to see you and old 1039 at the rendezvous in Deer Harbour...

Brian