Com-Pac 16 tabernacle/mast step HELP

apell

Aug 28, 2018
O'Day 12 Kingston
Hello
I have come across a Com-Pac 16 for sale. Upon inspection, I noticed that the mast step foundation on the cabin top has cracked . Is this an easily fixable thing or should I pass up the boat? THe wife says: Forget it. There are a lot of boats out there. The price is very right on this boat...But, I am not a builder and have a very beginning understanding of epoxy and fiberglass....
Thanks for any help...

p.s. I know there are better boats than the COmpac 16. But, the price on this is great. Thanks.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
ComPacs are a known quanity. You should get your money back "if" the boat is maintained . Thin spider cracks aren't uncommon . Perhaps ,very realistically your wife would prefer not to have a "project boat " taking up room in the yard ,like so many of us have seen all too often

apell

Aug 28, 2018
O'Day 12 Kingston
ComPacs are a known quanity. You should get your money back "if" the boat is maintained . Thin spider cracks aren't uncommon . Perhaps ,very realistically your wife would prefer not to have a "project boat " taking up room in the yard ,like so many of us have seen all too often
I went back this morning to look the boat over and to take some pictures of the tabernacle/cabin top, which I have attached. I also wrote Com-Pac yesterday afternoon and Gerry Hutchins kindly wrote back, with pics, He also said it is not uncommon and very fixable with epoxy/fiberglass..

Re: the response to my wanna-acquire it. You're right...another project boat to go where? I already have a Bolger Bobcat waiting to be decked out sitting in the garage...Where to put yet another boat..(She's been through this with me with a Miracle Class sailboat, which I wound up giving away...)

Attachments

Last edited:

apell

Aug 28, 2018
O'Day 12 Kingston
What do you see from inside?

Should have

Oy, I looked inside (but didn't take pictures...jeez) There seemed to be a bit of cracking around the gelcoat. There were also two nuts attached to two bolts that were holding the tabernacle. The owner said there were two screws in the other tabernacle plate.
According to Gerry Hutchins, he said that this is a mistake that owners make; the tabernacle SHOULD be attached with screws, not bolts.
Should I pursue it, or forget about it? Other than a little clean up and making a companionway door, it is the only thing of concern. But, it's a BIG thing of concern...
The price is right at $750.00 boat & trailer.
Any help is really appreciated.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Hutchins can be trusted as I met him many years ago becoming a dealer for them.

I am not sure but on the front of the mast is a large crack. It appears one side is raised which is not good. If there is any wood or balsa core in the fiberglass, I would be concerned as it will be a major repair on the deck. I don’t know the year but Gerry Hutchins could advise on any coring in the deck.

apell

Aug 28, 2018
O'Day 12 Kingston
Hutchins can be trusted as I met him many years ago becoming a dealer for them.

I am not sure but on the front of the mast is a large crack. It appears one side is raised which is not good. If there is any wood or balsa core in the fiberglass, I would be concerned as it will be a major repair on the deck. I don’t know the year but Gerry Hutchins could advise on any coring in the deck.
Thanks for the input..It's an '82..
I guess i'd be jumping on the purchase if it wasnt for that crack... . I can see it escalating into more than i can personally handle, and more money than i want to shell out..
Another one will come around...
Thanks.

Aug 28, 2023
Santana? 2023, A PORT TOWNSEND, WA
Hello
I have come across a Com-Pac 16 for sale. Upon inspection, I noticed that the mast step foundation on the cabin top has cracked . Is this an easily fixable thing or should I pass up the boat? THe wife says: Forget it. There are a lot of boats out there. The price is very right on this boat...But, I am not a builder and have a very beginning understanding of epoxy and fiberglass....
Thanks for any help...

p.s. I know there are better boats than the COmpac 16. But, the price on this is great. Thanks.
I've just found a Com-Pac 16 as well, for $5500. What is the price on yours? Did you get the 16 you were looking at and if so, did you repair or fix the mast step foundation?