Colvic Countess 28

Apr 20, 2021
Hunter Legend 240 Eastbourne
Hi there, bit of a longshot but does anyone have any experience with the Colvic Countess 28? I'm in the process of buying one and can't find a massive amount of feedback online with regards to performance and things to look out for. I'm very new to sailing got a Hunter Legend 240 that I bought this summer and love but a bit small and this Colvic came up. Many thanks in advance.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
can't find a massive amount of feedback online with regards to performance and things to look out for.
Not unusual. Boats with smaller numbers built and lesser known designs are not as prominent on the web as production boats. Your Colvic Countess 28, when compared to the Hunter, will have more interior space. Be a bit slower and less reactive to the waves and choppy seas of the Channel. A smoother ride. You will sit on the mud when the tide goes out, not having to raise the center board or rocking on the rounded hull.

Go face to face in the marina with boats of similar design and talk to the owners. You’ll learn all sorts of interesting things.

Things to watch out for are likely the same on all boats. Solid hull, no soft spots on the deck, rudder that rotates easily without wobble, standing rigging that is free of rust, an orderly appearance to the boat, no leaks, tankage enough to meet your needs, etc.

She will be a good coastal cruising boat. Bit small and uncomfortable to take far from shore.

• Helpful
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Last edited: