Columbia T-23 refit

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill

Purchased a 1975 Columbia T-23 a month ago. Got a nice little boat for a good price considering that it needs a refit and TLC. Plan to replace standing and running rigging, boom (most of the fittings are corroded and broken), plumbing (worn out), navigation lights (broken). The cabin is in good shape and it will be refinished and updated. I pulled the mast last week and removed the mast step where I found evidence of water leaking under the step and into the cabin top cavity under the deck. Does anyone know what is carrying the mast load to the cabin bulkhead posts? Is it a fiberglass, wood or metal beam? I don't want to start cutting into it unless I have to as the glass surfaces are in good shape. However I don't want to have the mast come down if the structure is compromised by the water intrusion. Also, the vinyl rub rail extrusion is battered and I want to replace it with a matching or similar one. Does anyone have a source for a replacement? This will be the second boat I have restored and I enjoy the work almost as much as sailing. I plan to use the boat to daysail and cruise the New England coast.

N

Nathan

C-26 Keel bolts

I have a 1971 C-26. The keel bolts look corroded on the top. I haven't scraped down to determine if its the bolts themselves, or just the strapping that ran between the bolts. In any case, has anyone had to replace these bolts? Easy or hard job?

B

Bill

Columbia 26 keelbolts

Try wire brushing the tops of the keelbolts to determine if the corrosion is really on the surface or if it looks like it extends down along side the bolt surface. Also, try taking off one or two only of the worse looking nuts. Many times the bolt will corrode badly along the shank in the vicinity of the keel to hull joint and in the process of trying to remove a nut from a badly corroded bolt you will break off the bolt. A sure way to know the worst. Also check the exterior of the keel to hull joint to see if there is evidence of the keel separating from the hull or moving out of alignment with the hull. Sometimes one can find weeping rust stains in the keel to hull joint which gives you an indication that the bolts are indeed corroding inside. Check out the Columbia web site at http://www.columbia-yachts.com/ for information on your model boat. They do have construction drawings and specifications for many of the Columbia models and you may be able to determine the construction details of the keel to hull joint to help. Good luck.

R

rich

weight

hello I have a new 23 t23 also and have not moved it yet. Was wondering waht weight may be? The displacement on handbook says 2300#s and then adds 810 lbs as ballast. Do you add them togther for toal weight of boat or is the ballast included in the displacement weight? rich

N

Ned Rafter

My refit

Hi Bill, I too have bought a 23T and I have at my place in Baja and I am bringing up to good sailing standards I am now replacing the 1/8 inch cable with 5/32 for a little more strength for the Mast. I was able to buy a manual for the 23t if you are interested let me know and I will give you the number. I am puting in an /electric bilge pump and have also replaced all lights and refinished the wood with silkens oil. Also took out all non SS fittings and replaced then all. I expect to be sailing the sea of Cortez this fall. Good luck on your refit. Ned wwwBajaned@Mail.con

R

rich

backstay?

The backstay seems to have another wire -same size- that is about !/2 as long attached through parallel bolt at top of mast. Does yours have one? What use does it have? richk56@yahoo.com

C

Chris

columbia 23

I am thinking of picking up a Colombia I believe to be a 23. It is a fixed keel on a trailer so I assume it is a 23 T. Do you have any pics you could send me? I may also need advice on where to get replacememnt goodies. Cheers, Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.