columbia 45

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DAllen43

Dear Members, I'm about to take a 4/21-24/03 lengthy trip to inspect a 45 MS for possible purchase. If any of you have advice on particular areas or systems that I should pay close attention to during inspection & survey, please advise. Thank you in advance, Dave Allen P.S. Intial ? material of fuel & water tanks (BR?, SS, AL, FG, Etc?).

D

Doug Ward

Hi Dave, We recently purchased a Col 45 in Sacramento & sailed her down the coast to Long Beach, Ca. I used to work for Columbia (1970 to 73) & am pretty familiar with them. The fuel tank on my boat (1973,hull # 118) is aluminum. 120 gallons. 2 tanks were optional. One water tank was std.,they were moulded into the hull liner,capped with a screwed down cover. 2 water tanks were optional. They are about 120 gallons each. Somehow, our boat got 3 water tanks. 360 gallons. The std engine was a Perkins 4 - 108 (50 hp.).The usual optional engine was a Perkins 4 - 236 (85 hp).A few of the last 45's built got a 6 cyl.100 hp Chrysler / Nissan diesel. These boats came as a masthead sloop or ketch rig. Ours is a shoal draft keel which draws 5'4". Where are you located? Keep in touch. Doug Ward

B

Brian Davis

45 vs 41 info

Hi Doug, I have a 41 built in 1974, Is the water tank the same as you described for the 45? Also I have a 4 cyl. crysler nissan. Do you know the HP of that engine? How about the steel keel. The bolts seem to be in good shape, is it also glued on as described in the brochure? My uncle workrd for Columbia in the Va Office. Thanks for any info, Brian D A picture of my Columbia is on the link below.

J

John K. Quick

C-45

Dave I'm a C45 owner for 2 1/2 years now. Living in the Tampa Bay area. Did you make your purchase? If so, I'd certainly like to keep in touch with you. Also, if not, where is/was the boat. I'll make contact there for keeping a line on where the boat ultimately sells. In any event, what information would you like to have on the 45's? John

B

bruce greenop

things to check

two water tanks ,two fuel tanks,under salon,look for corrosion ,our mast was two and half inches short from 34 years of electroysis so count on resteping mast $1800.00 ,if origional wiring plan to redo,we drilled 4inch inspection holes everywhere we could to rewire and replumb,then covered with starboard plates incase we need to run something else .lined closet holes with red cedar closet lining boards for good smells,plan to put hard top on cockpit when find good design . good luck bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.