Columbia 22 Manual/Blueprints

Aug 24, 2016
San Juan 7.7 Tacoma WA
We're restoring a 1968 Columbia 22. Interior pretty much gone. Sails shot. But definitely worth saving! Looking for a manual and blueprints. Also any extra sails for sale. Thanks!

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Your bringing back some good memories. My family had one of those in the 70s named Moonlighter. Nice boat.

Jul 26, 2016
American Sail 18 MDR
I had one o those in Marina Del Rey for about 10 yrs. It got "slammed" in Avalon Harbor, Catalina, one summer. During a "Santa Ana gusting to 95+ with 12' waves in harbor" I was told by a person that worked at the local power station and rescued boat. Boat Was repaired and gelcoated Corvette Yellow. It was named "Banana Bunny" by a girlfriend at the time. I had great times with it. Sailed it all oer Mexico and California. Terrific sailing boat. Given enough wind she actually gets up and surf/planes at 18knot per knotmeter. She had the fixed keel. Sorry, remembering and writing. Somewhere in the bowels of one of my old back up drives there is a color brochure and a lil owner's manual.

BTW there is a site with a full restoration of a pretty Columbia 22 Keel model on the internet. They did a work of art.
https://www.google.com/search?q=res...Cmn-bQAhWF7iYKHRcPBJYQ7AkIMA&biw=1055&bih=724

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
Given enough wind she actually gets up and surf/planes at 18knot per knotmeter
Bwhahahaha! The only way a Columbia 22 is going to go 18 knots is if you dropped one from an airplane. :rolleyes:

Jul 26, 2016
American Sail 18 MDR
And you were there to see it? You must have one of those stout heavy sailboats. It's a world full of opinions. We now know yours.

Most people are too afraid to sail on really windy days. Almost any flat bottom sailboat can surf and plane in 30+ mph winds. The CAL 30 proved that. Well I take that back, the America's cup foilers could not go out on anything over 22 Knots less they disintegrate at 23.. BTST in person, even paid the price of admission. I did enjoy brisk San Francisco Bay sail in schooner America as a consolation. But, then again those foilers were built of corrugated cardboard. Weren't they?.

Never been afraid of big waves or lotta wind. I've seen a bunch o kids out in 10' waves and 20 knots surfing and racing their Optimists dinghies out in the ocean.

I would like to follow progress on the reconstruction of the ole Col 22. Pictures along the way would be appreciated. I have very fond memories of the Col 22.

BTW: there was company in CA that sold skinny lead filled Keels to replace the fat pig iron one that came with the boat.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2016
American Sail 18 MDR
In addition to these sources, many Columbia owners have offered to share copies of their boat and motor manuals. They are listed towards the bottom of the page.

Andy Whiley, Irvington Marina, Irvington, VA
P.O. Box 189

Irvington, VA 22480

(804) 438-5113

"Here's the story that's been told (thanks Eric White!):

On or about the time the Whittaker Co. was closing the Chesapeake plant an enterprising fellow named Andy Whiley knocked on the door and ask if he could buy whatever leavings were left. Well, lo and behold the payroll need to be met and they sold Andy everything that was left, that he wanted. He has/had masts, booms, rigging, KEELS, and last but not least he has port lights, you know the funny looking windows that crack and craze. He has them all, some with the paper still on them, and the price is right. I bought 2 for an old 39 I was helping a friend refurbish and I think we paid all of $25 each.

You ask who and where is Andy Whiley? Well he is just up the Rappahanock River, under the bridge and hard to port into Carter's creek just like you were going to The Tides Inn. But stop at Irvington Marina and that is where Andy lives. It's kind of a boaters junk yard but he has a lot. That's in Irvington, VA. I hope I could be of some help.

I talked to Andy about a month ago. He is also has an aluminum foundry at the marina. Primary product is hand wheels for big valves. He also casts anything he needs to make mast trucks, boom goosnecks and whatever. Well he called me looking for some help, I work in the foundry supply business here in Baltimore. So the info on the windows is current. It's really neat, you go in to this dirty old foundry into a back room, up a rickety ladder and there on a rack are all these aluminum framed windows, some even still have the paper on them protecting the plastic, and they are just waiting for someone to say, WOW I NEED TWO OF THOSE."

Source:http://www.columbia-yachts.com/lit.html

More info: https://www.google.com/search?q=col...3BhOjQAhUBUSYKHUiWCLIQ7AkINA&biw=1055&bih=724

Hardware plan: http://boatbrochure.com/products/columbia-22-deck-hardware-plan

Keel replacements with new fin keels: http://marskeel.com/production/repair-modifications/draft-reductions/

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
I owned and sailed a Columbia 22 on San Francisco Bay for years. So I know a little something about sailing the boat in a breeze. And if you knew anything about sailboat design and the physics of hull speed, you'd understand that it is virtually impossible for the Columbia 22 to go 18 knots.

Jul 26, 2016
American Sail 18 MDR
When you believe something impossible your mind finds a way to make it so. I believe nothing printed and I think anything is possible. Where there is a willingness to do something a way is usually found. Get her a skinny keel, Take her out in the ocean in a windy day and get her on a big wave surfing with spinnaker flying. I never sailed in a bay.. All I know is the ocean.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018
Columbia 22 22 Bellingham, WA
Some updates (since I was seeking a rudder head for a Columbia 22) 1. The fastest I've been able to make my boat go was 9.5kts in 18kt winds (def. the max) 2. Dear Andy Whiley past away several years ago. His inventory is lost forever..